advertisement

Magpies and the positives of negatives.

I like the look of them, but their call is unpleasant, consequently easy to identify.

Every time, and I mean EVERY time The Wife sees a magpie or a group, she recites some weird thing, “Aye Aye, Magpie!” I think it is. Something about saluting the magpie to prevent bad luck?

Of course Magpie or Blue Peter? was the question. My The Wife didn’t see Magpie as she wasn’t allowed to watch ITV.
I could watch what I liked, but generally stuck with Blue Peter as John Noakes was a god to me at that time.

As a child I was taught the traditional view of Magpies as being somehow evil, bad luck and so on. I could never understand how a type of bird could really be that much different from any other.

And they are strikingly handsome ...

When I worked at the Ice cream factory on the edge of Worcester, I used to go outside to enjoy my lunch in peace. There were quite a few Magpies, and they are amazing to watch. I completely tamed one, chatting to him in Magpie language. I imitated his chatter and he came back with more. Over time he not only was happy to sit right by me, getting the crusts of my sabndwiches, but he would bring Mrs Magpie as well from time to time. She was never so brave and six foot was close enough for her, but he would nibble bread out of my hand.

However, like any intelligent animal, Magpies can recognise a threat, or a kindly human. One winter with much snow, I suppose the family must have moved away or died out. Anyway none of the others were quite like my friend Mr Magpie!

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
My grandmother used to say that if you see a single magpie it’s a sign of bad luck, to ward it off you must treat it with great respect, say to it, “Good morning Mr Pie, you are looking very smart today if I may say so. You are most welcome in my garden. Please make yourself comfortable . . . “
In our house if you see just one, it’s “ hello Mr Magpie how’s your wife ?”.

I have a few pairs of Magpies around the house. They are most welcome and it's hilarious hearing them chase the two cats that live here home in the mornings. I did spot one of the younger Magpies on my garage roof with a dead fledgling the other day....something I'd not seen before.

Magpies have multiplied exponentially in my garden this year, but a new pair of kites are happy to live with them.
Some friends of ours salute every time they see a magpie.

My grandmother used to say that if you see a single magpie it’s a sign of bad luck, to ward it off you must treat it with great respect, say to it, “Good morning Mr Pie, you are looking very smart today if I may say so. You are most welcome in my garden. Please make yourself comfortable . . . “
Did she know Bob Mortimer?

We have a few magpies around here, I like seeing them and they’re not a nuisance at all unlike the half a million wood and feral pigeons we get, grrrrrr

I had to abandon my bird seed feeder due to magpies. If a sparrow or blue tit was feeding a magpie would launch itself at the feeder from the roof in attack mode, then veer off at the last moment to chase the bird. Then they found that by landing on the feeder and shaking it they could get it upside down and then eat the falling seeds. I gave up. I hate magpies, squirrels and especially deer who eat all my flowers.:(

they’re not a nuisance at all unlike the half a million wood and feral pigeons we get

If wood pigeons came from some tropical region of the world, we would marvel at their beauty. I still do, fabulous creatures.
That aside, as I always say - very nice with thick gravy, although we had woodies baked in a bed of cabbage a few weeks back - VERY nice despite what you (and me) might think.

I hate magpies, squirrels and especially deer who eat all my flowers

Squirrels are introduced and officially vermin, as are muntjac. Also nice with thick gravy. (Squirrels more so fricasseed as per various US recipes, where eating squirrel is common. Sort of half way between chicken and pork for me).
If deer really are a pest, invest in a cheap electric fence.

I used to work with a guy who ate (at least once) anything that was edible, particularly roadkill or what had come to grief on power-lines (loads of those where we worked). He had eaten crow - and didn't recommend it; I suspect that maggies would be similar.

I quite like Magpies and most Corvids as I admire their intelligence.

Sadly, the farmers don’t around this way (Staffordshire) as they are often caught in traps and then killed. They use these cage type things which (for whatever reason, perhaps just out of curiosity) the Magpie gets into, it then acts as a calling Magpie so others come and become trapped. I know this as a local farmer openly told me when I asked him about one I saw on his land, it didn’t seem to phase him one bit :( He spoke of Magpies as being pests like rats and mice. I don’t see the connection myself. The Magpies looked very distressed (as you might imagine) and were hopping about like mad! Not a pleasant thing to see...

That's an interesting idea. I see that the kit with a 12 volt system is available at Amazon cheaply.:)

Experince over 40 years - if you can arrange it, get a 240V version. Not all plain sailing, not something that you don't need to read-around first, but done properly, it will cure your problem.

They use these cage type things which (for whatever reason, perhaps just out of curiosity) the Magpie gets into, it then acts as a calling Magpie so others come and become trapped.

You are talking about a Larsen trap - VERY effective for maggies. The farm must be run as a shoot as maggies are "not required". All it will do is reduce their density locally. The effect is minimal in the over all scheme of things.

They keep things VERY quiet, but conservation bodies use such things. WAY back when Minnesmere was just getting going and the very first avocets arrived, all manner of predatory birds and mammals were controlled within a mile or so - the brother of a work-colleague was involved.

Experince over 40 years - if you can arrange it, get a 240V version. Not all plain sailing, not something that you don't need to read-around first, but done properly, it will cure your problem.

240 volts? Yes roast young deer tastes very good.

240 volts? Yes roast young deer tastes very good.

NO.

All electric fencing units put out something like 1Hz pulses at a few kV, and minimal current - volts jolt, current kills. They seriously make your elbows knock if you touch the line.

You can get units that run off a PP3 battery, but it would need a new battery every day or so. Agriculturally, 12V car or tractor battery supplies are common due to convenience. For a garden, the best option is switch it on and forget - 240V SUPPLY

The car batteries on the fences around us always go the same way as the gas cylinders being used to stop the points freezing.

Magpies are fun. A pair has set up a nest in an ash tree opposite us, and it's quite a construction, with a roof, and the entrance halfway up. It looks flimsy, but it survived the recent gales up to 40mph gusts. It amazes me how birds do that with a stack of twigs.

advertisement

Back