advertisement

how much for a fuse,

You are not required to have fused plugs in the UK , BS 546 plugs and sockets are still allowed and they have no fuses.

They can only be employed on a circuit specifically designed for their use.(usually a Theatre 15 amp or domestic 5 amp lighting circuit) Not on the usual modern domestic circuit.

@Mike Reed

We use differential switches.
In modern houses there are no fuses anywhere.
disjoncteur-phaseneutre-dnx34500-6ka-arrivee-et-sortie-borne-a-vis-1pn-230v-16a-courbe-c-1-module

We use differential switches.
In modern houses there are no fuses anywhere.
"Fuse" in casual conversation refers to any safety device preventing excessive current. Modern installations everywhere use resettable breakers rather than actual melting fuses. For the purposes of this discussion, they are equivalent.

Ok then. I know there are foo differential breakers too. I’ve seen it somewhere on the Web.

Have you noticed that the only foo parts out there are ones that can be popped in by the end user? If the mains and tiny fuse wire were so important, surely you’d want to also replace wire between the IEC and transformer, maybe the transformer itself, the power switch. But for most people this would require a repair person. So instead we mostly see fuses, cables, mains distribution b(ol)locks, mains regenerators, etc.

And then you have magic jumper cables for biwire speaker terminals (vs the wire inside the speaker). Hifi isolation furniture (trophy shelves) that are supposed to ‘open up’ solid state devices. Really? Sure, turntables, valves and phone stages... But treating your solid state equipment like The Princess and the Pea? Why not? It’s easy to install and looks cool(?), so it’s easier to sell than items that actually make a big difference but aren’t plug and play.

I've said it many times before!!

Frankly I can think of nothing more idiotic than thinking either a fuse of a mains cable can have any effect on sound. I have more respect for anti vaxxers, literal flat earthers and for people who think they talk to fairies than for those people!

I saw a western series the other day. There was a snake oil vendor who admitted to selling a product that had no medical effect.

Ha ha! Very good :) I’ll have a box of ten please. But on one condition: I want a mahogany or better, ebony box.
Do they have a true audiophile version with a sapphire tube?

Peter Belt and Paul Benson memories anyone?

Aluminium Foil cheap from Aldi, check it and you will need a Prickstick to fix it across live and neutral the smoke yes is good for you. Like Silver plated main plugs are safe, the oxide only conduct when it fall off and shorts out honest.;):rolleyes:

Frankly I can think of nothing more idiotic than thinking either a fuse of a mains cable can have any effect on sound. I have more respect for anti vaxxers, literal flat earthers and for people who think they talk to fairies than for those people!

:) yes, indeed, please tells us how are you managing to find each and every post on anything mains and post the same with this clarity and passion!
clearly you have your priorities and attitude right and .. nothing too much more to contribute

At least we're not arguing about the benefits of installing a separate earthing rod

We can do, though doubt there'd be much argument where putting in an earth spike is permissible (PME v TT etc.):)

The fuseless plugs are not experimental they have been around for a long long time they predate the modern square pin plugs and sockets.

I grew up with them ! Experimental as in hifi use by installing round-pin sockets and plugs (special hifi foo ones, mostly, I
d guess). Frequently figured in hifi mag's of the time.

Nice to see you're back in fighting spirit with your vehement disbelief, Jez. Adds balance to a discussion, I find. :D

:) yes, indeed, please tells us how are you managing to find each and every post on anything mains and post the same with this clarity and passion!

Uncanny it might seem, but Jez does get around a bit on here. However, the title of the thread is like a carrot to some ( incl. me, I s'pose).:)

They can only be employed on a circuit specifically designed for their use.(usually a Theatre 15 amp or domestic 5 amp lighting circuit) Not on the usual modern domestic circuit.

Great get an electrician in and specifically design a hifi circuit for your home to BS546.

Better still get a sparky to put a dedicated consumer unit in for your hifi ,then dedicated hard wired lines for each device with appropriately rated safety devices in the consumer unit.

Either way massive chunk of change out of the price of that fuse and better sound to boot.

Great get an electrician in and specifically design a hifi circuit for your home to BS546.

Better still get a sparky to put a dedicated consumer unit in for your hifi ,then dedicated hard wired lines for each device with appropriately rated safety devices in the consumer unit.

Either way massive chunk of change out of the price of that fuse and better sound to boot.

Sarcasm?...or brain fart? We really need a smiley for this sort of post.

Ok hands up I am not expert but come on fuses really? Switches fair enough but not in sense of how they sound but reliability certainly. Put simply for such a small signal path to make a difference is illogical, basically it flows current or does it job and doesn't.
Excuse my ignorance for this very short signal path to make a difference does that mean it conducts better? To that end if you check a standard fuse to a special shall we say fuse will they continuity show different on a multimeter? Or let me put it this way what sciencetifically accepted method would they test better?

advertisement

Back