advertisement

Another (pro made) record plinth

He has extraction in the heated girls room, filtered dry air and he knows what he is doing. I'm just pointing out it's not as easy as it looks.

Thanks - I take your points. I was just wondering how easy and costly it was to setup a paint booth and learn how to achieve good results. You don't seem to think it's worth the hassle.

Probably not for one or two items a year, if you want to start a business however, go for it.
As it happens I have a couple of compressors available as I've had to install a decent Hydrovane for the foundry.

He has extraction in the heated girls room, filtered dry air and he knows what he is doing. I'm just pointing out it's not as easy as it looks.

Taken out of context :eek:.

On a more serious note, I think you are right. There are at leat 4 things needed to get good results:
1) The right materials
2) The right facility and equipment
3) Experience
4) Excellent fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination

I have just enough of #3 to know that I am not top drawer wrt #4 :(. Somehow, no matter how much care and effort I take with "craftmanship" stuff I just cannot get top level results. I can think of one friend who is so rubbish at this stuff, he's got no chance...ever. I also know a couple of people who have the magic touch, one used to be a race bike (cycle) mechanic and the speed and accuracy that he can fettle bikes is just amazing.

Anyway, my point is that you can get 1-3, but if you don't have #4 it will be tricky.

They way he just chips off that veneer without any apparent care is mind blowing, so much fine touch in those fingers.

The other videos on his youtube channel are equally - if not more - impressive. A question to those who may know the answer about the turntable plinth building one, is why he did the veneering before doing that final bit of routing for the recessed top? Is it because a better/neater finish to the veneered cut out is easier to achieve with the router?

Excellent video, excellent craftsmanship, where as a good standard could be reached with care and time by an avid DIYer that chap obviously has the experience, tools and the hands to use them.

They way he just chips off that veneer without any apparent care is mind blowing, so much fine touch in those fingers.

He rounded over the edges so it wasn't important to cut the veneer flush with the edges.
It looked like Kevasingo veneer to me.

Pete

Yes, I don't quite know how he did that. He appeared to sand off the entire radius. Maybe the woodstain is able to cover up the exposed ply?

When I built my speakers I overlapped the veneer at the edges, trimmed it to a mm or so and then very carefully sanded the edge flat. Of course this gives a sharp corner not radiused and takes a long time. I went for clear laquer, so I don't think I would have had the option to do his method (and I certainly would want speakers that colour :eek:).

I really enjoyed watching that, what craftsman!

I wonder if these solid plinths are better than the skeletal ones? I have a Loricraft skeletal plinth for my 401, but it's not much of a looker compared to that one tbh!

Fantastic workmanship with the right equipment, and I love the Garrard 301, its right up there with the best IMHO.
He has achieved a level of quality finish that is not easy to attain even if you have the skills but don't have the necessary equipment

Alan

I really enjoyed watching that, what craftsman!

I wonder if these solid plinths are better than the skeletal ones? I have a Loricraft skeletal plinth for my 401, but it's not much of a looker compared to that one tbh!
The builder states they are, and clearly has multiple orders from customers who presumably believe it too. I assume that a local dealer has at least one such 301 det up on dem, or something.

Hard to believe someone would order such a (expensive) thing on the off chance it would sound good.

BugBear

It's something that I will look into later, because despite how good it sounds, the Loricraft skeletal plinth I have right now, scores zero in the looks department. I don't want to end up with something that sounds worse though.

advertisement

Back