advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 48 of 73 constituency seats counted the SNP have a 47% share of the Scottish vote, but in a PR system that seems unlikely to give them an overall majority (Greens help needed), so the Tories say they will have no mandate for Indyref2.

In the 2019 GE the Tories got a 47% share of the vote too, and because of FPTP and the huge majority this bestows we have an elected dictatorship with a mandate to govern the UK exactly as they see fit.

What a difference voting systems makes eh?

The election isn’t finished yet and Johnson is saying he’ll stop a Scottish independence referendum. That’s quite a vote of confidence in his man in Scotland. My own view is that Sturgeon will call the referendum when the timing is perfect. Johnson is hiding behind his vaccine bounce but the black mushrooms will sooner or later sprout on his spoil heap- his inherent corruptness, Brexit+ Covid economic damage, job losses and the upcoming corrective budget. That’s the time to strike.

Does it not require the assent of the Westminster Government? IIRC Scotland can't actually leave the UK under current rules without Westminster's agreement.

That’s true but circumstances can change. Events dear boy.

I’m reminded of Hemingway’s quote on how he went bankrupt…..”at two speeds, slowly for a long time, and then very quickly”

All the talk today on the BBC, about an election we don’t know the final outcome of yet, is that Boris Johnson wrote an article in a paper (owned by one family that doesn’t even pay tax in Britain but were paying him £275k a year) saying no to the democratic wishes of the majority of voters in Scotland.
I welcome his resistance and his corruption- it will further galvanise the independence vote. He’s a gift to us.

Last edited:
IIRC Blair’s landslide in 1997 was won with a 43% share of the vote... more than any general election since.

It looks like the SNP have taken about 47/48% share of the vote, in the face of a concerted, systematic and well funded pro-union tactical voting push.

They’ve maintained their share of seats with an increased share of vote percentage, with the largest turnout in any Scottish Parliament election.

Cameron implemented the Brexit referendum with a mandate of 37% vote share.

So let’s call this what it is - a landslide, by any measure.

The ‘majority’ is a straw man. Yes, Nicola set it up but that’s what it is, a straw man.

The mandate for indyref2 is irrefutable, despite all appearances...

Holyrood media village today, Kirsty Wark with Nick Eardley and Allan Little just out of shot. BBC still has some quality journalism.

UzYanDx.jpg

jKRU6wj.jpg

Nice to see Union flags today,
JsG1mm7.jpg

Lastly, bumped into the redoubtable Stanley Reilly, former BBC photographer and mate of David Bailey with member of the production crew and a copy of his book- his photo of John Lennon on the cover.

Qma6zzT.jpg

Great day, champagne cracked this evening.

It will be nice to see Nicola get her majority.
Then it will be nice to see her get her second referendum.
Then it will be nice to see her get independence.
Then it will be nice to see a lot less of her.
But I won't hold my breath.

Well done SNP. It appears the poison only thrives in England. Hopefully the vaccine cures the problem. Seems the first dose isn't enough it will require the second blast and probably a few years of boosters before Brexit balloon deflates.

In the constituency votes ( like Westminster) where a candidate puts their name and their party on the ballot, Scots only elected 5 Tories to Parliament. Labour was more shocking-2, where their own leader stood and lost! ( he gets in on the regional list vote) and the LibDems 4. Every other constituency elected an SNP candidate, all 62 of them.
The Tory leader didn’t even have the balls to stand under his own name in a constituency, he slinks in the back door on the list. We will now have a pro-independence progressive government of SNP and Greens.

Did I miss something or did SNP not just fail once again to reach an overall majority of the Scottish electorate for their mono ..raison d’etre’ independence policy which was described by Sturgeon a few days ago as...“the most important vote in a generation” ???

Well to quote the BBC, “the SNP wins a historic fourth term in office....without an overall majority but there will still be a clear majority in Parliament in favour of independence”.

Did I miss something or did SNP not just fail once again to reach an overall majority of the Scottish electorate for their mono ..raison d’etre’ independence policy which was described by Sturgeon a few days ago as...“the most important vote in a generation” ???
Look at it another way:
- Party in power for 14 years not only holds on to power but increases number of seats, picks up a vast majority of the constituency seats, etc. I can think of a few parties in Europe who’d settle for that.
- independence agenda disclosed before the vote: nobody can claim surprise
- Conservatives and Labour have to rely on a PR system they deny to other parts of the UK to scrape a few votes and prevent a total rout.
SNP and the Greens hold an absolute majority and can advance shared agenda.

They’ve won a fourth term with a vote share that would give them a landslide majority in a completely FPTP system like Westminster. Like the last three wins. It’s anything but a failure!

You need to read past the headlines pal.

It will be nice to see Nicola get her majority.
Then it will be nice to see her get her second referendum.
Then it will be nice to see her get independence.
Then it will be nice to see a lot less of her.
But I won't hold my breath.

I hear a lot of this ad hominem beef with NS.

What’s it about exactly??

What don’t you like? I’m intrigued!

They’ve won a fourth term with a vote share that would give them a landslide majority in a completely FPTP system like Westminster. Like the last three wins. It’s anything but a failure!

You need to read past the headlines pal.
This. In an electoral system that was designed to try and prevent one party domination in holyrood. And yet...

You can look at it that way but for a PR system that is an incredible result. Others have posted the type of result it would produce in an FTP system.
To put it another way it is a much more definitive result then the Brexit vote but look how that was pushed through. I agree in absolute vote numbers for a country to leave a much higher number is needed for such a drastic decision imho. Ditto Brexit but look what happened there.

The same situation applies in NI imho. A vote of 52/48 to reunite Ireland for me isn't enough to quell the uproar and potentially huge disorder that would follow. Again Brexit and how it was implemented springs to mind.

Also it is worth noting that Labour and the Tories had a voting pact to try and stop the SNP. Go figure that logic :confused:

Ok Nationalists. Let’s have another ‘once in a lifetime’ democratic vote on the issue of Independence which you lost a mere 7 years ago. Today you still achieved less than 50% of the vote of the Scottish voters on your again this time ‘most important vote of a lifetime’ You will certainly lose again!

Yes Labour, Tory, Galloway and whoever colluded against you! There is no single viable opposition - you fill a vacuum. When every man and their dog start colluding against you then you might start to realise the gross unpopularity of your jingoistic party amongst the divided Majority!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back