advertisement

Shallow turntable

The Fisher Price looks more solidly built tbh. The project debut series looks to be pretty shallow. Does anyone have any experience of these?

until a year ago I had a ProJect Debut, I had it for 4 years, It was a great TT especially to say how cheap they are
There's not much love for them on here but I really rated mine

TD150 top plate is 306mm. Mine with a 20mm thick Henk plinth is only 350mm and the standard plinth on my LP12 is only 345mm, both are much wider than the standard TD150 plinth. The TD150 plinth was only 8mm so total depth should be 322mm

8e3fa3d278b97c0f4a4358177207b567.jpg

I have a faint memory of it. The fact that it was so much smaller than the LP itself I didn’t like either.
But that was long ago and next to it was the almighty Technics.

Yes I was lucky on this one!
The A9 is pretty amazing for what it is I must say.
I wasn’t expecting that kind of sound quality – it is proper hi-fi – and the sound pressure it’s able to provide, even though there is very little stereo effect.

This has to be as small as it gets.

sony-ps-q7-turntable
I have a red one in a drawer. The internal phonostage is nothing to get excited about and neither is the headphone output, but using the direct output from the cart into a separate amp it is massively better than it has any right to be. Fantastic little thing.

Last edited:
Various Pro-ject TT's , perhaps the RPM 4? Then there's the WB Circle and SME 10, though way over budget, perhaps the NA Horizon, though rarely have I noticed one for sale.
Your best option may be a 2nd hand Rega and DIY a minimalist plinth.

What about the round Ariston? RD40 is it? Or the round systemdek? The aren't much bigger than the record.

So, I have managed to pick up an SL-7 from eBay which looks to be in really good condition, but it has an issue with the tracking, which seems to be a common problem - requiring a new belt, plus a bit of cleaning and lubricating. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

TIA
Phil

So, I have managed to pick up an SL-7 from eBay which looks to be in really good condition, but it has an issue with the tracking, which seems to be a common problem - requiring a new belt, plus a bit of cleaning and lubricating. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

TIA
Phil

Yes Phil. I have a Technics SLJ2 linear tracker and similar to work on I believe.

Remove the p mount cartridge first. Little screw on the side and slide off.

2 grommets either side of the lid. Pull them out to reveal torx screws I think.

Lift lid up vertically off.

The little drive belt is on the left. Easy swap.

The rail that allows the arm to track will need a good clean.
I used an all purpose cleaner and microfiber cloth.

Once clean, lube the rail with lithium grease.
Power up, without the lid on and get arm to travel along the rail. It will remove some lube so reapply. I used a cotton bud.

Reattach the lid.
Done.

If you are near me in Worcestershire, I can help.

advertisement

Back