advertisement

how much for a fuse,

Put a normal fuse in series with it. Safety and lifted veils. Best of both worlds!

(BTW I know that would defeat the purpose, even there was any. Kind of like ignoring the kilometers of copper leading up to a garden hose sized mains cable)

Take the whole lot out altogether and run the hi-fi on it's own spur with appropriate circuit breaker.
Costs a lot less than 2K a pop.

I've got a few fancy fuses and they do make a difference, with some kit more than others and some kit no difference.

However, the best fuse is no fuse and that is a frankly ridiculous price.

If it was easy structurally I think dedicated hifi consumer unit would make much more impact to outlay.

You could almost certainly add a dedicated system earth to that and still save a fortune.

Surely a ring mains circuit has a dedicated earth?, or are you meaning a dedicated “hifi” only outlet/circuit wired to the rcd consumer unit?.

OT, but while looking at the fuse situation at a previous place of employment (HE College), we discovered that some joker had replaced the fuses in the distribution unit for a whole floor with masonary nails cut to fit. We fixed it, nothing ever previously caught fire, and the place has now been demolished anyway. Needless to say, after we replaced the nails with proper rated fuses, we suffered power cuts in labs all over the place on that floor.

I do feel IF, this fuse thing was a no brainer, dealers would let you try them for free, on account you would send them a cheque , after a few days,
me myself would love to try them, will be giving a few dealers a call this week for a demo set, stay tuned,

ps one of the weirdest words, cheque, ??

Unbeknownst to me, my Modwright phono stage had a foo fuse in it. At a bake off, someone connected it up wrongly with the result of some hideous noises out of the speakers followed by the fuse blowing. No damage, but that was at least one foo fuse that worked as it was meant to.

Can't remember the make though..

same here, my music works, mains leads have top quality fuses in them, but i'm not taking them apart just to see, not at £750 a lead,but they are good,

Unlike the standard posters here:

An artisanal fuze may well offer a small but meaningful improvement in the context of an audiophile system.

Do make sure it actually works as a fuze.

OT, but while looking at the fuse situation at a previous place of employment (HE College), we discovered that some joker had replaced the fuses in the distribution unit for a whole floor with masonary nails cut to fit. We fixed it, nothing ever previously caught fire, and the place has now been demolished anyway. Needless to say, after we replaced the nails with proper rated fuses, we suffered power cuts in labs all over the place on that floor.
Ha ha! The electrician’s nightmare!

Are there also foo fuse holders, foo relays and foo solder?
What about PCBs, and the microscopic wires within the active components?

260px-Darlington_transistor_MJ1000.jpg

Really?
It’s all about the impression that audiophiles can do something to improve their system, perhaps not having a clue about what comes before.
Let’s be serious about it.

advertisement

Back