advertisement

Couscous

Spicy chickpeas (channa) with eggs?

That would work too, but it's Hindustani.

I usually have my couscous with a chicken and vegetables tagine but I replace the chickpeas with chestnuts.

I also have it with a lamb, vegetables and prunes tagine.

UI used to go to a North African restaurant in Edinburgh. It was set in the basement of a hotel. Each time I went I would order a Chicken Couscous Royale. It was a tagine of chicken with saffron, honey and dried fruit. It was served with the couscous grains and khobz (bread). It was absolutely delicious. Sadly, the restaurant is no more.

That would work too, but it's Hindustani.

I am unsure if there is such a "thing" as Hindustani, but even if there is, channa is a word used across a vast area and variety of languages.

The whole thing is regional and linguistic. No-one in Asia has ever cooked a curry, unless they talk to a European, especially a Brit.

Is a tagine REALLY so different to what any Brit might throw together as a stew/casserole?

Couscous.

So good they named it twice.

Love the stuff. Eat it with many things. I try to always put fresh coriander with it.

You are all Rong: Couscous is a famous Algerian detective.

As any fule (with treasured childhood copy of Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World) kno.

Couscous_1280px.jpg

Couscous is both an ingredient and a dish. The ingredient is made from semolina flour.

Bulgar wheat is something different - cracked wheat grain.

I am unsure if there is such a "thing" as Hindustani, but even if there is, channa is a word used across a vast area and variety of languages.

The whole thing is regional and linguistic. No-one in Asia has ever cooked a curry, unless they talk to a European, especially a Brit.

Is a tagine REALLY so different to what any Brit might throw together as a stew/casserole?

According to the Portuguese Wikipedia page there are written records of the word "caril" dated as early as 1563. They go on to say that "It is possible that the word entered the Portuguese language through its Kanarese or Kannada "karil" form, still used today in Goa."

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caril

Also from Wikipedia: "Hindustani is the lingua franca of Northern India and Pakistan (...) The concept of a Hindustani language as a "unifying language" or "fusion language" was endorsed by Mahatma Gandhi."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustani_language

Chickpea in Arabic is pronouced "ho mos ". You've probably had hummus.

A tagine has lots of spices.

I remember my first visit to the UK in the mid '80s. I found food to be very, very, did I say, very, tremendously bland. My parents took us to a stake house, ordered a grilled steak. Medium rare tasteless unseasoned meat. Asked for salt, tasteless (rock salt?). Asked for butter, tasteless (no salt?). We had the following meals in italian, chinese and hindustani restaurants.

Things have changed massively, thankfully. But when I go to a less cosmopolitan local pub the food is still bland.

What is it, please? Currently having an argument with our lass. She reckons it's a complete meal and has salad and meat included. I reckon it's one component of a meal, ie you have some couscous with salad and meat perhaps .
One component

Couscous is a pasta.

It is nothing without a sauce.

It is peasant food elevated by celebrity chefs to prices beyond belief.

I remember my first visit to the UK in the mid '80s. I found food to be very, very, did I say, very, tremendously bland
Same for me, the potatoes without salt, ugh. Burned lambchops. Sliced bread smelling of plastic - worst of all with Brandstone Pickles on it. Oh and this plastic vinegar bottle permanently on the table, poured on everything.

Nowadays I’d never touch a kebab again, but at the time I found it delicious in comparison, a relief from the watery potatoes.

But a great country all the same.

advertisement

Back