advertisement

Linn LP12 on ITV!

Unfair. I'm no fan of Linn propaganda either but if the product was not fundamentally capable we would not still be talking about it today. It has survived because it is a high quality product which has real merit. Ivor's bull notwithstanding.
What is so special of a product to be fundamentally capable? It survived because of the strange cult built around it.

The LP12 is a well made, good looking, reliable product that can be serviced & upgraded. Nobody has to buy one.
My impession is that it needs to be constantly tuned, serviced and upgraded. Hardly a sign of good and reliable product design.

It’s most definitely a classic and is longevity testifies to this. Almost an icon. I remember seeing my father in laws years ago and my landlord had one with Kans.

It survived because of the strange cult built around it.

It survived because it was very well made, based on well established design concepts (AR-XA, Thorens TD-150, & Ariston RD11) and has been continuously in production, updated and supported for best part of 50 years now. You may get internet troll points in some quarters for slamming it, but you’ll be hard pressed to find another turntable that has stood its ground so well for so long.

Another classic for sure, though there was quite a long period it was out of production. The Rega Planar 3 is the final contestant. All the other real classics (Garrards, TD124s, EMTs etc were not in production for anything like the same timeframe even if they sold in shed-loads).

My impession is that it needs to be constantly tuned, serviced and upgraded. Hardly a sign of good and reliable product design.
But it doesn't

Being able to upgrade an existing product is a really good thing. I just don't see any downsides. If you don't like the way it sounds then buy from another brand. All mechanical devices will ultimately require some upkeep.

advertisement

Back