advertisement

Micromega Classic Solo - spindle repair?

Theo

pfm Member
I love this top loading CDP, but having just brought it back into service, I noticed that the spider-type centring spindle hub is half missing (think those teeth on a CD tray) - God alone knows how...

There seems to be a place in the US where I can get a solid replacement, but I'm hoping that you can point me in the right direction for something more local.

This is the solid version:
http://enco-group.com/product/standard-cd-pro-centering-hub/

Many thanks in anticipation :)

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I've just watched my lovely CDP player go out in a hail of smoke, with something obviously burning. Managed to isolate at the mains, but the room smells acrid...

So...this is now a sickly player. Any repair recommendations?

Shit - I was going to ask what mech was in it - CDM 12.x? Any 12.x platter would likely fit - but does it need the metal in it for a magnetic puck? It is a fiddly pain to remove old platter and to get height right on new though. As for the smoke - is the bit that broke metal? Did some of it fall inside? If you open it up, the damage is likely to be pretty evident, and could be a pretty simple repair. I'm in Switzerland and would happily take a look for you...but guess you're in UK?

Whatever you do, don't bin it - I'll buy it :)

I just checked - it's a later one;

MICROMEGA CLASSIC SOLO
DAC: Philips TDA1547
Transport: Philips CDM-12 Ind

Not sure what the "ind" means - if same as regular CDM9s and the Pro, it means a hall spindle motor is major difference and a platter from a lower spec CDM 12 will likely need carefully drilling out. I did this many years ago when I bought a faulty CDI, post here somewhere I guess...

Industrial, it means its actually the 1st version of became the cd Pro, the jukebox mech.

Shit - I was going to ask what mech was in it - CDM 12.x? Any 12.x platter would likely fit - but does it need the metal in it for a magnetic puck? It is a fiddly pain to remove old platter and to get height right on new though. As for the smoke - is the bit that broke metal? Did some of it fall inside? If you open it up, the damage is likely to be pretty evident, and could be a pretty simple repair. I'm in Switzerland and would happily take a look for you...but guess you're in UK?

Whatever you do, don't bin it - I'll buy it :)

That's the one. Apparently you can just pick up the centering hub and surface fix it, but that's the least of my problems. The smell tells me that melted plastics/components are likely involved. I haven't opened it up, but I'm looking to get it repaired. I'll give Darren at Class A a call tomorrow. I'm not averse to selling it eventually, but I'd like to have it repaired first.

OK, Class A won't touch it. Can anybody recommend someone suitable I could get to have a look at it?

Excellent, I lust after one of those, bit of a unicorn for me, along with the original Wilson Benesch turntable.

advertisement

Back