advertisement

Lyra retip

lencotweaker

Mostly dreaming of record players
Oh dear! Yes, there has been a classic duster accident! Absolutely gutted because this Lyra Titan was my best cartridge ever

I can’t afford to replace this right now with a Lyra of equal performance but I am fortunate to have several backup MC’s so it’s not really a crisis, just a disappointment.

So the question is, recommendations for a rebuilder known to be good with Lyra? Particularly if the correct Ogura tip is possible.

BTW, I’m not looking to debate the pro’s and cons of rebuilding, I’ve had several Benz and Clearaudio’s rebuilt over the years and am happily using an ESCO Troika and have had a generally good experience with NWA. I know some are happy with it and some are not etc…

Last edited:
There’s a member on the Lencoheaven forum called needlestein that does retipping who would be worth looking up. I used him to retip my Shelter 501 Mk2 and he did a good job for a reasonable cost. This is how I first found him https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRefine=true&_pgn=1&sid=cartridge_retipping-5

Thanks, he also goes by Groovetickler on Instagram. Yes, he started out a few years ago experimenting for himself and showing his results on Lencoheaven. Seems to have been successful in lots of carts so far too including a couple of Lyra’s. I’ve sent him a message.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You're not too far from Northwest Audio, who did a great job rebuilding my Lyra Lydian.

home contents insurance, accidental damage?
I checked already unfortunately

Rather a limited contents policy, then, without A-V cover, which usually covers accidental damage, even if the rest of the policy doesn't. Maybe things have changed in the domestic insurance world, but I've never (in 45+ years) had contents cover without an A-V section, on which I've claimed for a cart. in the past.

B.t.w., Titan original or Titan i? You could push the boat out and get 25% off a new upmarket Lyra, I s'pose.

I would also recommend getting Lyra to do the work.

I think the tip profile is proprietary?

With a cart as this quality level no 3rd party repairer is going to give you back a Titan as defined by Lyra.

Unfortunately, Lyra's repair service is very expensive and very slow. What exactly is the problem? Broken cantilever? Broken suspension wire? ???

From what I understand, Lyra and Transfiguration had proprietary rights to a very special Ogura stylus - hyper/hyper eliptical on a rectangular shank. This stylus has the scanning radius that rivals the best ML/MR shapes but is easier to setup and has the lowest tip mass available because of its' rectangular - not square - cross section.

That said, a proper boron cantilever with another super low mass stylus has to be very, very good as well.

I broke my Helikon SL's cantilever last week and was pretty sad. Can't imagine how I'd have felt had it been a Titan but then I can't imagine affording a Titan anytime soon. I put an Audio Technica OC9XSL on the Rega and will just have to live with it. AT's have a long-ish break in but out of the box I'm missing some top end clarity and sweetness but it is a bit better with record noise than the Helikon. Eventually I'll try and get Lyra to fix it. Having anyone else do it will make it a different cartridge and is a bit risky. Do let us know how you get on.

Just had my Denon done with an Ogura stylus, Holistic Audio, £350 or there about. Previously had a Benz done by the same guy, no problems.

You're not too far from Northwest Audio, who did a great job rebuilding my Lyra Lydian.

Yes I've had Dom rebuild a couple of Benz's and a Clearaudio some years ago and was very pleased with what I got back.

From what I understand, Lyra and Transfiguration had proprietary rights to a very special Ogura stylus - hyper/hyper eliptical on a rectangular shank. This stylus has the scanning radius that rivals the best ML/MR shapes but is easier to setup and has the lowest tip mass available because of its' rectangular - not square - cross section.

That said, a proper boron cantilever with another super low mass stylus has to be very, very good as well.

Yes I'm aware of the exclusivity on that particular Ogura tip and thats the issue really. I cannot afford to get a full rebuild from Lyra so will have to go aftermarket on this one. I've been in touch with one rebuilder who has said that the original shape is a 3/70 micron Ogura profile and the the closest he can get is the Ogura 2.5/75 profile which seems like an attractive option.

Just had my Denon done with an Ogura stylus, Holistic Audio, £350 or there about. Previously had a Benz done by the same guy, no problems.

Any issues with shipping in and out of Europe with import taxes etc? Do you just pay tax on the repair costs?

I'll let you know when it gets here. It was supposed to arrive yesterday before 12:00 or mid afternoon, it didn't make it. Other than that I can't say. If it doesn't arrive today I'll try to get in touch with UPS.

advertisement

Back