advertisement

Small announcement

Yep. I watched it too. I had no problem with the stuff about manufacturing processes... or even the idea of the LP12 as 'high end'.. but the claims that Ivor somehow personally invented the LP12 and a new age of vinyl replay?
Er.. No.

I had skipping vinyl in the 70's...a fair bit of it. At that time, the album covers got stained and smelly and sometimes burnt. How did this occur??
NO IDEA

I've found the rare skip to usually be caused by a hair follicle stuck to the playing surface... Bright light and magnifying lens and once found just get your nail to it and it kinda "pings off".

I've found the rare skip to usually be caused by a hair follicle stuck to the playing surface... Bright light and magnifying lens and once found just get your nail to it and it kinda "pings off".
A 'hair folicle'???? What are you on Arkless.
It's DUST mate
vacuum the bugger and it's gone.

Whatever happened to Northern men??? Sigh.

I had skipping vinyl in the 70's...a fair bit of it. At that time, the album covers got stained and smelly and sometimes burnt. How did this occur??
NO IDEA
A 'hair folicle'???? What are you on Arkless.
It's DUST mate
vacuum the bugger and it's gone.

Whatever happened to Northern men??? Sigh.

It can be a tiny blim of squidgy black.... so I've heard...

I have a Moth record cleaning machine but it won’t get rid of stubborn bits of bogie or whatever stuck to a records surface, these cause skips but generally can be removed with a good rubbing of a cotton bud soaked in record cleaning fluid - home made or bought. You might have to encourage them even more with something thin edged but not damaging to the vinyl like a tiny wooden/plastic wedge.

Try pushig a small fine artists brush along the groove that usually moves bits out, kinder than a wooden wedge.

Try pushig a small fine artists brush along the groove that usually moves bits out, kinder than a wooden wedge.
I specifically referred to stubborn bits Dougie, obviously one would have tried a gentle approach first to determine they are stubborn, maybe you’ve never seen any but a fine artists brush of the type I have would not touch them.
P.S. a tiny wedge would would not be used to enter the groove but be gently pushed along the surface of the disc

I've certainly had stubborn bits, it might take a moment or two but I've had to do this a few times. This may sound a bit aggressive but it's not ment to, it does work with a little patience.

My original pressing of The Wall bought in 1979 has one point where it always skips, or to be more accurate keeps repeating the same groove. Always assumed it was a manufacturing defect. I wasn't loosing hair follicles when I bought it so that's not the reason...

advertisement

Back