advertisement

Poling Day, 6.5.2021.

George J

Herefordshire member
In North Herefordshire [at least in my area] the only vote was for Police Commissioner.

I always vote, even when I know that the system is weighed against me by the local trend and first past the post.

So I duly rode the old Carlton up the steep bank to my poling station at a rural primary school.

Did the usual, hand-sanitiser, mask, ... brought my own pencils and so on. The outside steward watched over the bike. [Should have taken a photo in the lovely sunshine, if cold with the wind].

On seeing the candidates on the ballot paper, I realised that I could not actually vote for any of them, so I posted it blank.

The choices were: Conservative, Lib Dem, Labour or Independent. No acceptable candidate standing for my vote ... Not going to comment, beyond that if a true independent wanted my vote, I would need to be able read what their ideals and policies were. No such luck. I had hoped for a Green candidate, but sadly ... Of course the possible Green would have never won, but it would have allowed me to actually vote in a way I think is positive. An indication of a minority view in these parts.

Am I disappointed? Yes, just a little.

Am I pleased I bothered to attend the poling station? Yes. A spoiled ballot is a statement.

Your thoughts. I am not asking anyone to say how they voted or would have voted if they did not.

Best wishes from George

Local councillors and Leeds mayor here, so 2 slips. Only Lab and Con councillors bothered sending me any communications, and only Lab mayor.

The only vote we had here was for Police Commissioner but none of them sent us any information.
I looked on the appropriate websites for their intended policies if elected and couldn't find anything, so it was a case of deciding on the basis of political affiliation or not bothering to vote for any of them.

I didn't vote!

The only vote we had here was for Police Commissioner but none of them sent us any information.
I looked on the appropriate websites for their intended policies if elected and couldn't find anything, so it was a case of deciding on the basis of political affiliation or not bothering to vote for any of them.

I didn't vote!
Exactly the same for me.
The only way I knew there was an election was when I got a polling card.

In North Herefordshire [at least in my area] the only vote was for Police Commissioner.

I always vote, even when I know that the system is weighed against me by the local trend and first past the post.

So I duly rode the old Carlton up the steep bank to my poling station at a rural primary school.

Did the usual, hand-sanitiser, mask, ... brought my own pencils and so on. The outside steward watched over the bike. [Should have taken a photo in the lovely sunshine, if cold with the wind].

On seeing the candidates on the ballot paper, I realised that I could not actually vote for any of them, so I posted it blank.

The choices were: Conservative, Lib Dem, Labour or Independent. No acceptable candidate standing for my vote ... Not going to comment, beyond that if a true independent wanted my vote, I would need to be able read what their ideals and policies were. No such luck. I had hoped for a Green candidate, but sadly ... Of course the possible Green would have never won, but it would have allowed me to actually vote in a way I think is positive. An indication of a minority view in these parts.

Am I disappointed? Yes, just a little.

Am I pleased I bothered to attend the poling station? Yes. A spoiled ballot is a statement.

Your thoughts. I am not asking anyone to say how they voted or would have voted if they did not.

Best wishes from George

Well, it was the same here, of course (also N Hfds) but my wife and I did vote ... for the least worst options.

What are the arguments for an elected Police Commissioner? I’m not sure that role should be politicised.

I quite agree. Same with the attempts to politicise the judiciary. The news media has of course always been politically partisan, but the main thing is to realise what the standpoint is to "interpret" the reporting.

But I was hoping to put a Green shot across the bows of the sleazy Blue government we have ...

Just a tiny little systemic, institutionalised shot ...

Best wishes from George

I didn't vote!

Exactly the same here, excepting also a vote for 'mayor for West of England combined authority' which is an invisible near-useless thing of marginal effect and right up there with Zaphod Beeblebrox in terms of 'role of pointless figurehead'. Incumbents to date have been invisible, and a million light years from as engaged with it as Zaphod Beeblebrox.

I suppose I've until about 9.45 to change my mind, but that is pretty unlikely.

City council and police commissioner here. There was, thankfully, very little spam in the post this year. I looked up the candidates online to find out about them before going to the polling station. The police commissioner candidates all had pretty clear statements regarding their policies. The councillors had typical political waffle, but Labour always wins my ward anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

Mayor and local council here. Our Labour councillor has been supportive and helpful with our local fight against speeding in the road outside our house. He got that one. I like Andy Burnham and the fact he tried to stick one on Boris even when he was getting zero help from Labour so he got my vote there. Marked my transferable vote down for the Greens. We’re in one of the red-wall constituencies that wasn’t, so I feel I need to make sure we don’t return any more bloody Tories.

The green lady Councillor candidate is a rather nice young lady.
It's a no brainer for me.

loads here town, Borough and cop com. all done by post 2 weeks ago.

town council is a waste of time and money and means our CT has addons compared to other towns around us

When did voting for police commissioners become a thing? I can’t remember ever having had that option and as others have said upthread I’m hugely uneasy about overtly politicising the police. We have seen only too well in the USA, here, NI etc just how dangerous, racist and inconsistent a partisan police force can be. I don’t like this at all. They need to be answerable to international human rights legislation, the judiciary, the laws of the land etc, absolutely not a political party.

advertisement

Back