advertisement

Burning plastic smell from TV?

We lost a third of the hens in one of our henhouses once. All the birds in the top tier of cages died from heat stress when the fans stopped.

The fan control box failed, with several burnt components. This was sufficient for insurer to pay out on the fire part of the policy.

After that over temperature alarms were fitted.

Must have been a nightmare, we have loads of electrical checks, a back up generator and alarms sent to four people now.

On top of that last time the forecast was for over 28C we thinned out with a small crop of poussins.

Might have to train the staff with a burning out capacitor smell.

Whenever I drive from Manchester to Leeds on the M62 there’s a point on the route about half way where you pass an industrial unit.
The car suddenly fills with the smell of TCP and I it always catches me out thinking the electrics are going.

Capacitors make a nasty smell when they go bad, but I guess a number of other components might as well. It’s academic really, you need to get it checked out by a professional before it catches fire!

I can get a power supply board off ebay for £35, but it's secondhand. The TV is 5 years old, and was only £304 brand new, which is very cheap for a 50" TV. I'll just bin it, and buy a new one.

@dweezil Our incident was over 35 years ago. It was the second fire related incident we had. The first one was when a lightning strike blew out the fuse box, dad went to feed the hens, there was no power and the pile of empty paper feed bags was reduced to a pile of ash. Luckily the shed was a fibre cement Nissen hut style and virtually fireproof! The two other sheds were undamaged other than the electrics. There was enough convection airflow to keep the birds safe.

Most of the later sheds were fitted with flaps held shut by electro-magnets which opened to provide a minimum airflow. Those sheds have not been used for around 20 years. My personal involvement with poultry ended 25 years ago this month.

Modern monitoring systems and telecommunications have changed things out of all recognition. I'm sure thesedays we would have had a system with multiple callout numbers etc. We did end up with a 165kva generator for backup.

Had two SMPS's go recently. On in a powered Sub (for the TV not the one I built!) and our wine fridge. One was two bad caps and the other a cap and an IC - a couple of hours and around $5 and both were working again. Not sure I would try it with a TV though, too complicated.

@dweezil Our incident was over 35 years ago. It was the second fire related incident we had. The first one was when a lightning strike blew out the fuse box, dad went to feed the hens, there was no power and the pile of empty paper feed bags was reduced to a pile of ash. Luckily the shed was a fibre cement Nissen hut style and virtually fireproof! The two other sheds were undamaged other than the electrics. There was enough convection airflow to keep the birds safe.

Most of the later sheds were fitted with flaps held shut by electro-magnets which opened to provide a minimum airflow. Those sheds have not been used for around 20 years. My personal involvement with poultry ended 25 years ago this month.

Modern monitoring systems and telecommunications have changed things out of all recognition. I'm sure thesedays we would have had a system with multiple callout numbers etc. We did end up with a 165kva generator for backup.

We had a nasty one with pigs, probably down to a fault in an infra red light controller, luckily the shed was small.

Only had chickens for two years now so it has changed a bit! I'm mainly on the finance side so see loads spent on gas in the winter and electricity for ventilation in a hot summer.

Ideal partnership for solar power so we put in 100 kVA last year.

You haven't missed much, a year ago sales were a real struggle as we were doing a larger catering size bird which stopped selling when lockdown came, quick shift to a smaller bird fixed that.

Last winter was quite bad for disease across the trade so we had a couple of loss leading crops, slightly poor feed conversion plus higher vets fees soon wipe out that crucial 5p per bird.

It's been a bit of a learning curve, my first involvement in poultry since lectures with Bill Weeks in 1976!

Bought a cheap, secondhand TV to tide us over, but no sound from HDMI (virgin box), but fine through the scart playing an old Nintendo Wii. Contacted the guy, and he said the TV is 720p and trying to use a 1080p signal through HDMI won't work. Although the picture does actually work fine.

I'm 99.9999999999999999999999999% sure he's talking sh*t, but thought I'd ask here just in case.

Bought a cheap, secondhand TV to tide us over, but no sound from HDMI (virgin box), but fine through the scart playing an old Nintendo Wii. Contacted the guy, and he said the TV is 720p and trying to use a 1080p signal through HDMI won't work. Although the picture does actually work fine.

I'm 99.9999999999999999999999999% sure he's talking sh*t, but thought I'd ask here just in case.

check the audio settings on your virgin box - it might be sending the wrong thing for the TV -- IIRC it should be sending PCM and not Dolby Digital

Which version of the virgin box have you got? V6?

check the audio settings on your virgin box - it might be sending the wrong thing for the TV -- IIRC it should be sending PCM and not Dolby Digital

Which version of the virgin box have you got? V6?

Yes V6. The sound was fine with our old TV. Not sure where the audio settings are?

Google found them (Home button), but still no sound :(

Sod it, we're buying a new TV.

don't forget bigger is better

Going to buy the cheapest 50" TV we can get because we have an unpredictable 4 year old, and there's a risk he could hit it, or throw something at it. He's not feral or anything, but has lots of energy, so there's always a risk of an accident.

The oled is kept safe in our bedroom.

Buy cheap
Buy twice
Indeed. I bought my Pioneer PDP507XD plasma in 2006 and its still working well and excellent with live outdoor events. The sound is surprisingly good as well with stereo bass, mid and treble units integrated into a single unit. There were two options at the time - separate left and right units to give the TV ears or a bar along the bottom. I chose the latter.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back