advertisement

UptoneAudio EtherREGEN

I hope you realize how utterly unlikely it is that anything in the quote above is true.

ok let’s check it out...these were the statements I made...

The Cisco is an amazing switch.
Not proven. But I believe it to be true, you don’t. But I agree it is very subjective and not a universal truth.

Built in such vast numbers that it gained from economies of scale which no audiophile switch can ever do.
True

And even then the cost was high when new, due to its excellent components and build.
True

Second-hand at around £40 the 2960 represents one of the great bargains in audio.
Not proven. But I believe it to be true from the evidence and from the price of other audio bits and bobs.

What's more you can add an optical converter at the other end, just before your streamer, and thereby get a fibre network for just a small amount more.
True

In a decent system you can’t help but hear an improvement to the sound of network-sourced music with a Cisco, whether using Ethernet or fibre.
True for me, but you have not tried this so you can’t really have an opinion.

Unless of course you’re determined not to hear a difference, then confirmation bias will ensure that you won’t.
True

So I’d say you were wrong, there was a lot of truth in my original post.

This one sounds better than the Netgear one I was using though.

Really... glad you like it, however, the net gear switch or more likely the power supply must have been spraying out enough RFI to affect the analogue output of your DAC, it wouldn’t be the ethernet switching itself.

Really... glad you like it, however, the net gear switch or more likely the power supply must have been spraying out enough RFI to affect the analogue output of your DAC, it wouldn’t be the ethernet switching itself.

Gosh , you seem so sure, maybe.... the cisco sits on my rack over my amp/dac whereas the Netgear one used to on my subwoofer 5 feet to the side. I have tweaked the cisco with some materials that block rfi to be fair.

Just so you don't think I deserted this thread, I advised my brother to read this thread, I think he will have 'trouble' understanding some of the items you are talking about, but if he has any questions, or info I will post them.

ok let’s check it out...these were the statements I made...

Not proven. But I believe it to be true, you don’t. But I agree it is very subjective and not a universal truth.

True

True

Not proven. But I believe it to be true from the evidence and from the price of other audio bits and bobs.

True

True for me, but you have not tried this so you can’t really have an opinion.

True

So I’d say you were wrong, there was a lot of truth in my original post.

I say, you are very clever.

If someone tells me cows can fly, must I really check if cows can actually fly before forming an opinion?

I say, you are very clever.

If someone tells me cows can fly, must I really check if cows can actually fly before forming an opinion?
Of course you should. You might find that the "cows" are in fact pigs (that don't fly either).

Oh, pigs do fly near the Battersea Power Station. I saw one on an album cover.
And Hell is at least partially frozen:
main-qimg-5f4e4f5a91ae4641db5718cac7416717

The Cisco is an amazing switch

In what respect? Does it route network traffic better than a Netgear? Has it got more sockets on it?

Second-hand at around £40 the 2960 represents one of the great bargains in audio.

It's a networking product not audio. Makes no sense.

What's more you can add an optical converter at the other end, just before your streamer, and thereby get a fibre network for just a small amount more

What the **** would you want to do that for? It's not a fibre network by the way.

In a decent system you can’t help but hear an improvement to the sound of network-sourced music with a Cisco, whether using Ethernet or fibre. Unless of course you’re determined not to hear a difference, then confirmation bias will ensure that you won’t.

Don't know what to respond to this with!

Oh dear , the trolls have descended , they just know it's not going to sound any better because they work in IT or are networking engineers.

Not one of them have experimented with trying different switches to hear if it makes a difference because that would be a total waste of thier time..... however they need to save a few deluded audiophiles from spunking £40 on foo or worse still.

Cue 20 pages of pisstake , vitriol and demands for users to do ABX testing.....

£40 on a Cisco switch is hardly wasteful. It's a solid piece of equipment well worth that amount, audible benefits or not.

In a decent system you can’t help but hear an improvement to the sound of network-sourced music with a Cisco, whether using Ethernet or fibre. Unless of course you’re determined not to hear a difference, then confirmation bias will ensure that you won’t.
Don't know what to respond to this with!
I think it depends on any one individual's philosophy for how a complete audio system should apportion its tasks. The differences can cause heated discussion but IMHO need not. So I will respond from my PoV.

I am quite sure the Cisco switch is, as @mansr writes, "a solid piece of equipment well worth that amount, audible benefits or not". At the price it looks like a good piece of kit to use.

However, to me, a "decent system" is one that does not respond audibly to changes in the digital network, as long as the digital network remains functionally solid and well-enough dimensioned to transport the data. In my philosophy, the digital network has no valid role in changing the sound; and my own experience is that I can achieve that independence.

If someone else likes the idea of tweaking audio by swapping digital network components then it's their hobby and that's OK. But if changing a digital network component caused audible changes here I would be straight on the case to find out which part of my audio system was not well enough engineered.

advertisement

Back