advertisement

Post Brexit Shipping

Central Audio

Trade Central Audio
Anyone else had issues, after shipping with them for a very long time and never having an issue UPS have lost 2 parcels this month ?

Not with UPS, but I sold something via EPay recently, destination Italy, and that had taken an age but is presumably there now.
If EPay are slowed by things, when they do all the shipping and have total knowledge of what is being shipped (assuming the listing was accurate), what chance a company that is delivering unknown parcels?

I received my amp from UK with zero problems in a day or two pre-brexit just before the Christmas.

Currently waiting for almost a month for a small tracked Royal Mail package.

What you mean by overseas? EU or USA.

I received my amp from UK with zero problems in a day or two pre-brexit just before the Christmas.

Currently waiting for almost a month for a small tracked Royal Mail package.

What you mean by overseas? EU or USA.

Makes no difference anymore.

Currently UPS and EU shipping (Legally) are freaking nightmare switched to Fed ex for now however make sure you use the correct paperwork saves so much hassle.

UPS did a good job for me this week I must say, UK>Austria. Booked online Tuesday eve.
Collected a 6kg package from my door at 11.58 yesterday, delivered in Vienna today at 10am!

As stated previously paperwork is of the essence, took me a few hours off and on to drill down and be satisfied on the correct tariff code for the item.

I had to get that right for a previous quote from DHL who I have found excellent during last 12 months for UK, EU and US.

I chose UPS in the end because DHL would have taken 3 days against UPS next day service.

Between these two co’s plus DPD for UK only I’ve had 100% success sending and receiving of about 60 various shipments since March 2020.

I’m not saying there weren’t any moments of concern, from hold ups due to customs questions about type of wood for example, extreme weather in US midwest or recipient not understanding they must pay their countries import duties prior to delivery etc.

In my, limited private capacity hobby/collector, experience regarding payment of tax/import duty, UPS will require payment prior to delivery, DHL send an invoice after delivery. This may vary for others?

The common bond with the aforementioned companies is a decent tracking system with the item scanned on collection, showing on their system within the hour followed by updates and information provided enroute.

Booking and online form complexity varies but is definitely the crux of the matter, important things can be be missed but get that bit right with all the associated print offs required to attach to package, the rest should follow for a successful shipment.

I am glad they got it right for you!

Today I had a shipment arrive from Germany which was sent last December 12th as a two piece shipment, the first portion arrived on 3rd of Jan, even our UPS driver admits they are at the moment a shower of shite, and this is the UK head office @ Feltam.

In the last 3 days I have spend over 5 hours on the phone trying to locate a an incoming invoice from Germany, words would be to strong for the delicate Guardian readers on here I would have to use!!!!

Apologies, my post probably appeared like a slap in the face for you in your circumstances!
That sounds like an awful experience you’ve been having! I hope it resolves for you ASAP.

Received a couple of letters from France, slow but they got here eventually.

Sent two small parcels there, one before christmas and one three weeks ago but they've all vanished.

Main present for Feb was a trampoline so had that sent from a French supplier and no problems.

I suspect many who voted for Brexit forgot how complex trade was compared to what we had last year.

Add in the fact that even in our little post office ten were off with Covid or distancing last week giving little hope of immediate change.

Loads of offers of Australian and Argie beef at the moment; there used to be twice as much Wagyu sold as produced, i predict that margin will expand dramatically.

I sent a used item to the south of Ireland this week, three days door to door, no issues with the paperwork/invoicing, I was half expecting an issue or a delay but all good. No duty for end user either which is good, courier was UPS

I’m a consumer (not dealer). I bought gear from an official dealer in Hong Kong (first time) as there was no U.K. importer.

Package arrived in the U.K. but dropped off the radar about 3 weeks ago. After much chasing, the shipping company are about to declare it lost and compensate the sender.

Correct me if I’m wrong, my expectation is that a reputable dealer would offer a refund or replacement, and this would be law if the transaction was domestic. However, if the dealer decided otherwise, there would be nothing much I could do about it.

If you have purchased via a reputable source and have traceable paperwork then the onus (and responsibility) is with the sender until the goods arrive at your doorstep and you have signed for them (if the goods are faulty or broken) then a starts a chain via the dealer<>shipping agent to rectify the situation or refund the customer. However it may be a long process.

However if you have arranged shipping via a third party to collect on your behalf then YOU are the responsible party.

Conversely if you are sending back a return item to the dealer personally, then you are responsible for that item (and its condition) until the receiving party has accepted the consignment

Thanks, sounds pretty clear cut and what I thought...sender arranged all shipping and shipping company have simply failed to deliver the package. The last tracking update was 5th April after UK customs were cleared and I had paid import duties. Will have to wait and see if the sender does indeed turn out to be reputable.

To add more personal experience.

I live in EU. The small parcel mentioned above in my February post eventually arrived, probably in 2 months. A bit latter I also bought some cables from a member here and they arrived in very decent time-frame. At about the same time I sold something to another quite distant EU country and it arrived in under 2 weeks, that was at the peak of covid crisis, so understandable.

Now this! Then I sent my amp for service to Witch Hat.

Posted on 11/3/2021. - Filled all paperwork as instructed.
23/3/2021 - arrived in UK - OK, took a bit long, but reasonable brexit-covid delay.

What followed is just unbelievable incompetence:

On 25/3/2021 the Witch Hat phoned ParcelForce and were told everything is OK, paperwork fine, parcel on its way to them.

On 7 April 2021 Witch Hat was informed that the "item has been held by customs as the paperwork was not properly completed." And also: "The unit will be held until this is supplied and holding charges are being incurred."
- That is total BS, but I supplied all the details again and also a copy of the paperwork that is on the parcel.
Then nothing happened.
I intervened several times.

ParcelForce only on 26 April 2021 (!) released the parcel.
And it is still not delivered!
Stuck at Coventry Depot - Delivery scheduled (LOL!) since 28/4/2021.

This is totally unacceptable right now, since covid crisis can no longer be an excuse. And brexit glitches should also be solved by now.

I have recently sold 3 things on eBay to 3 different EU countries and they arrived in 2 or 3 days! Shipping obviously functions normally in the rest of the world, just not in UK.

That's my rant. Thank you.

Does anyone know where I can find a comparison of handling charges of the main couriers when importing into the U.K.?

I believe some charge a flat fee while others charge a percentage of the consignment value.

The info I have found so far conflates the courier’s own charge with the customs duties.

The info I have found so far conflates the courier’s own charge with the customs duties.

Why do you need anything else? The legal charges will be whatver they are, any differences are differences in charges made by the handler/courier.

Parcel Force are about as cheap as they come -£8? £10? per.

Brexit had made a total mess of shipping outside the UK.
What kinds of idiots came up with that customer-losing process anyway?
As far as I’m concerned, I’m done ordering anything from the UK, which is a pity really.
And I’m far from being alone.

Why do you need anything else? The legal charges will be whatver they are, any differences are differences in charges made by the handler/courier.

Parcel Force are about as cheap as they come -£8? £10? per.

Because I read on a news website that DHL charge 2.5% of the consignment value, but could find no info on the charges on DHL site, I've emailed them but no response.

2.5% on a pair of trainers is nothing, on a hifi it could be several hundreds of £ difference Vs a tenner.

EDIT
I finally found the info about customs fees for most carriers. DHL and FedEx charge 2.5% on top of the VAT and duties paid (or a flat fee, whichever is greater), i.e. not on the consignment value as I had thought!

https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-be/account-payments/duties-admin-fee
[URL]https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/help-and-support/customs-clearance-advice/duties-and-taxes.html#/receiving_shipments
[/URL]
https://ask.fedex.com/help/en-be/account-payments/duties-admin-fee

Last edited:

advertisement

Back