advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yellen is talking about potentially raising US interest rates. Prepare for a roller coaster ride! FT gift link here (limited to 20 hits).

I honestly don't understand how they will be able to reverse out of the economic cul de sac they've driven the world into.

It's so overcooked we could we could see rising interest rates along with inflation for a while as the inflation is partly a supply side issue (with monetary policy throwing fuel onto it).

I honestly don't understand how they will be able to reverse out of the economic cul de sac they've driven the world into.

It's so overcooked we could we could see rising interest rates along with inflation for a while as the inflation is partly a supply side issue (with monetary policy throwing fuel onto it).

They've spent 25 years driving into this cul de sac of ever lower interest rates, ever greater debt, and ever rising assets (with the occasional minor hiccup). There's no way that this ends without great pain for a lot of people.

Interesting, that's news to me. Please can you provide a reference? At the moment demand appears docile even with Covid-related reduced production (relying on spot market purchases and existing inventories), but deemed to go into supply deficit in the next couple of years as more reactors come onstream.
Trump pulled out of START. I'm not sure where Biden is with this yet

Some of the market fizz around crypto reminds of a light bulb just before it goes 'pop'.

A good bit of it will survive but some are going to lose their shirts.

David Buik talking about raw materials inflation this morning. Lots of it (as we know). I’d hate to be doing a building project right now, absolute nightmare.

Raw Materials inflation is very much a real thing. See MCB this morning - there will be more! And it will trickle down to consumers, my wife reckons our weekly shop is already increasing although can't put the finger on where exactly.

David Buik talking about raw materials inflation this morning. Lots of it (as we know). I’d hate to be doing a building project right now, absolute nightmare.

Yes, I know a few builders and you can't even get some basic stuff let along negotiate about what you even pay for it...even the orange pipe you use for drains/waste around houses. There are several houses around us sitting waiting for external plaster for months...the crews are flat out and you can't blame them if they let their quotes creep up a few percent here and there.

I've been shouting Inflation since the start of the 2020 thread. I just hope my second go at Gold and Silver ramps plays out. It my best performer in the 2020 low to high run. Silver in particular could really shift but crypto shifts have made the returns look paltry (for now).

Just top sliced some of my TUI at 80% gain. Not going to look that gift horse in the mouth the way I did HUR...

HUR is up today. I can only assume it's the usual ones that look for the biggest stock falls, wait a day of two for things to settle and then just buy it and bounce it for the morning then sell into the 20-30% bounce. That share is as dead as Disco so I'm at least using the wee jump this morning to start offloading the rest of my holdings.

A bit of diversification today into JMG and FEET, both as long term holds.

Goldman have told staff they need to be back in the office in June. Quite right too!

I think more generally, a lot of folks are going to be in for a shock when the boss wants them back in the office.

Yeah, it will be a hard Jeannie to put back in the bottle...telling people to not work, sit at home on furlough. Guess what, it makes alot of people lazy as ****. They better get back to it though to pay for all the stuff they bought over furlough... sports cars, garden furniture, vouchers for plastic surgery, the new house (which they paid 20% too much for BUT saved 5% on the Stamp Duty so a great all round deal there :) ) etc.

This mantra of no more offices after Covid was always BS. Some will do that but the majority of employers will want to eyeball their employees. I bet productivity initially went up but it faded away after about 6 months of home working...it drives most people slowly mad.

Business trips will be severely curtailed though.

I don't think it is furlough money that has been buying everything, it's the people working from home on full pay who usually spend on holidays and going out that have been throwing the money about.

I don't think it is furlough money that has been buying everything, it's the people working from home on full pay who usually spend on holidays and going out that have been throwing the money about.

If furlough was taken out of the equation, things wouldn't be nearly as buoyant.
It's kept many of them in jobs and has been rorted by some employers (same at the Business Bounce Back loans).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back