advertisement

Facemasks Forever?

I have not seen any evidence of antibacterial chemicals stopping antibiotics working. In addition this is contrary to the way the chemistry works, they kill bacteria by different methods. It's like suggesting that attempting to beat me to death with a bat makes me resistant to being strangled or poisoned. It doesn't. I don't believe this suggestion for an instant.
It’s like this see-

Dettol= garlic
Domestos= crucifix
Antibiotics= stake + mallet

I have not seen any evidence of antibacterial chemicals stopping antibiotics working. In addition this is contrary to the way the chemistry works, they kill bacteria by different methods. It's like suggesting that attempting to beat me to death with a bat makes me resistant to being strangled or poisoned. It doesn't. I don't believe this suggestion for an instant.
First time I'd seen it
Will try to find it and take notes

I think they'll be around for a long time, more so those that are at risk, or who they make the world feel safer for them...

I'll probably continue to wear them when food shopping, more so around winter time... We mainly shop at Waitrose & Sainsburys and I've had to tell more arseholes in those 2 places to back off distance-wise as they're right under my armpit, or hovering over me if I'm crouched down trying to reach something... They soon step back when I stand up or tell them! It's women my mothers age that are the worst IMO; no shits given!

After feeling like death since Sunday from the vaccine; I do not want to run the risk of catching CV19, so if masks need to be worn, so be it...

I think they'll be around for a long time, more so those that are at risk, or who they make the world feel safer for them...

I'll probably continue to wear them when food shopping, more so around winter time... We mainly shop at Waitrose & Sainsburys and I've had to tell more arseholes in those 2 places to back off distance-wise as they're right under my armpit, or hovering over me if I'm crouched down trying to reach something... They soon step back when I stand up or tell them! It's women my mothers age that are the worst IMO; no shits given!
Around here the non mask wearers shoving you aside tend to be of the 18 stone, 6 foot version, sporting ACAB tattoos. You're a big guy, you can tell them to back off, and they might. Alternatively, you might have some difficulty. "I'm exempt mate" is the polite end of the conversation you might get if you are lucky.

Good news. According the to fine shoppers in Morrisons this morning, the pandemic is over, social distancing is no longer needed and mask wearing no longer a requirement.

The needle was low on the Giveafookometer.

I shan't be going back there in a hurry.

Most supermarkets seem to be a problem. Partly their layout isn't conducive to observance, partly I think people become preoccupied and forget themselves. And that's before we get to the ones who just don't give a ****. Near us, the only one where I've generally found observance to be high, is Booths, whch is distinctly upmarket and middle class; to a lesser extent M&S (ditto), but neither of these really caters to the harrassed mother with three sprogs in tow, or the microwaveable junk food brigade.

Around here the non mask wearers shoving you aside tend to be of the 18 stone, 6 foot version, sporting ACAB tattoos. You're a big guy, you can tell them to back off, and they might. Alternatively, you might have some difficulty. "I'm exempt mate" is the polite end of the conversation you might get if you are lucky.

TBF I tend not to challenge them; can't be arsed and more so as I just want to be in & out...

Most of them though are Aldi/Lidl shoppers; never in Waitrose and rarely Sainsburys

Got involved one time at the local Lidl when a scrote-based-knobtastic-knobsock :D decided to play havoc with the security bloke in the evening re not wearing face mask; I'd popped into get a few bottles of Leffe Blond & Brun as it's always on offer there ;) and I did, politely, by taking hold of him by his lug and walking hime outside... He didn't appreciate that, but nor was he intelligent enough to realise it was a losing battle from the off as the security bloke wasn't small himself either...

They seem to think they're having to confirm, or it's all bull, a hoax, all fake etc; but they can't seem to understand other peoples concerns and think about other peoples wellbeing etc... It's those, IMO, that cause the issues re masks and CV19, the vaccine etc...

I have pals that are CV19 deniers and they've had it... Makes you wonder!

Most supermarkets seem to be a problem. Partly their layout isn't conducive to observance, partly I think people become preoccupied and forget themselves. And that's before we get to the ones who just don't give a ****. Near us, the only one where I've generally found observance to be high, is Booths, whch is distinctly upmarket and middle class; to a lesser extent M&S (ditto), but neither of these really caters to the harrassed mother with three sprogs in tow, or the microwaveable junk food brigade.

Yup; zero issues in Booths either for me, very smooth, nice and open and a different level of 'shopper' too, generally...

You must be North West'ish based @Sue Pertwee-Tyr to shop at Booths ;)

People still think that they wear masks for their own protection. So, in their eyes, not wearing a mask is their lookout so why should anybody else care. I'm not sure whether it's because nobody has explained to them that, actually, you wear the mask for others' protection, not your own; or whether they've been told but just don't give a toss and they weren't listening.

And yes, Manchester based; big Booths fan.

First time I'd seen it
Will try to find it and take notes
Found it.
New Scientist 14 Jan 2017
Paraphasing 4 pages
Allergies on the rise, 1989 David Strachan, hypothesises modern lifestyle too hygienic, fewer infections in children who then go on to develop more allergies
(edit) then more ...
Exposure to bacteria - on a farm good at reducing allergies.
Needs to happen in children, too late in adulthood.
" you might want to cut back on antibacterial hand washes ... there is some evidence they might contribute to bacteria becoming resistant to even antibiotics..also a growing concern about indoor pollution from cleaning products"
Targeted hygiene in the places that matter ...doorknobs, light switches, bathroom and anything we touch a lot..all cooking and prep surfaces
Vacuuming optional.. get outside more often

For utter clarity

This theory was first raised in 1989.

Since then and up to Jan 2017 there have been others doing other studies, evaluating theories etc.

It's not a theory, it's a hypothesis. It's well known, hypothesis is where it has stayed.

There is NO evidence that the use of antibacterial chemicals promote s antibiotic resistance. None.

The concern about antibacterial chemicals isn't that they promote antibiotic resistance, but rather that they reduce our exposure to a wider range of bacteria, and can also exacerbate auto-immune diseases. Also, once a strain arrives that can tolerate the chemicals, you have basically handed it your entire household to multiply in, whereas in an environment without such chemicals, it would have to fight other bacteria for living-space.

The vast majority of bacteria species are harmless to humans; there are also far more species of bacteria that are beneficial to human health than harmful - your digestive tract relies on bacteria to function correctly. Germicides are useful in clinical settings, but in the home, they are the equivalent of razing a forest to the ground just to avoid the risk of getting stung by the occasional nettle.

As for facemasks, the advice was, and remains, that a regular, non-medical grade facemask is not very effective in protecting you from infection, but is useful in protecting others around you from catching any respiratory infection you might have. There was some muddled messaging about masks in the UK at the beginning of the pandemic, in a misguided attempt to curb private stockpiling of medical masks by telling people they weren’t useful - this messaging later came back to haunt the government when it had to ask people to wear masks in public to try limit infection. The message here in Ireland was more truthful: bulk-buying medical-grade masks for personal use wasn’t a good idea simply because they were in very short supply globally and were needed for front-line medical staff.

I don’t think we’ll see people wearing masks for flu/colds in future, simply because masks are the most visible reminder of Covid-19. Just as the 1917-20 influenza epidemic was quickly erased from public memory, nobody will want to be reminded of Covid once it has passed.

The concern about antibacterial chemicals isn't that they promote antibiotic resistance, but rather that they reduce our exposure to a wider range of bacteria, and can also exacerbate auto-immune diseases. Also, once a strain arrives that can tolerate the chemicals, you have basically handed it your entire household to multiply in, whereas in an environment without such chemicals, it would have to fight other bacteria for living-space.
It seems logical to me that in order for your immune system to function effectively, it needs to be exposed to the pathogens it has to protect against so as to develop the defences. For dangerous pathogens like Covid, the safest way is a vaccine, but for relatively innocuous ones, regular mild exposure would seem helpful in keeping the immune system on its toes, so to speak.

advertisement

Back