advertisement

Speakers on either side of doorway/opening?

jamesd

pfm Member
Is there anything obviously negative or positive about a setup like I'm showing here? Specifically, what are the acoustic implications of having an entryway to a room between the speakers and walls behind them?

GUq1hCg.png

I would have thought to have a door in-between the speakers would not be ideal either acoustically or for ergonomic or practical reasons, having an opening maybe different acoustically , may or may not work, who knows, probably depends on the particular speaker and no doubt the rest of the room, though the position still may introduce practical Issues.

I’m sure others will be better equipped to comment on acoustic implications, but to my mind, a bigger problem might be the trip hazard of the cables, and the obstruction of the doorway opening from the speakers themselves.

to be clear, that room doesn't lead anywhere else. it's at the far end of a basement, so you walk into the room and that's it.

cables are a fair point. i'm hoping to get a full size thick rug to cover 90% of the room so maybe at least the right speaker could have the cable run underneath.

Other than the cables being a trip hazard (fixed by going round the back of the room), I don't see an issue.

Other than the cables being a trip hazard (fixed by going round the back of the room), I don't see an issue.

Round the back of the room is fine for most of us mortals, but some folks get freaked out by the thought of unequal cable lengths. :rolleyes:

There are arguably advantages because at least some of the rear bass radiation from the speakers will go into the other room rather than being reflected from the wall behind the speakers, and thus less bass from the speakers will be cancelled. If the dividing wall isn't structural but is instead stud and plaster you may also get some useful absorption or transmission of low frequencies. At higher frequencies you won't have any reflections coming from the wall behind you and bouncing off the wall behind the speakers. Also good.

Is there anything obviously negative or positive about a setup like I'm showing here? Specifically, what are the acoustic implications of having an entryway to a room between the speakers and walls behind them?

GUq1hCg.png

I would try the speakers were the sofa is, sofa out enough from the doorway to allow entry, and a curtain over the doorway which would be behind you from the listening position.

It will not cost you anything except backache. It would be more aesthetic in my opinion, and may even sound better?

I would try the speakers were the sofa is, sofa out enough from the doorway to allow entry, and a curtain over the doorway which would be behind you from the listening position.

It will not cost you anything except backache. It would be more aesthetic in my opinion, and may even sound better?

couch blocking the entrance to the room?

Lovely graphic, o.p. and I like the challenge to imagine the door. :). I see no prob. whatsoever with speaker positioning, providing that the speakers can breathe (rear/front ports etc.) and the sofa has space behind as shown and the dimensions are more rectangular than square. Speaker leads can be cut into underlay if carpeted or put into a conduit where the entrance is, if feasible (one lead shouldn't present a problem being tucked up to the opening if there's a lip). Presumably, depending on dimensions, you can move things round by 90 degrees each way to experiment. Power supply placement is obv. important here, esp. if you had dedicated radial supplies installed during the conversion.

Lovely graphic, o.p. and I like the challenge to imagine the door. :). I see no prob. whatsoever with speaker positioning, providing that the speakers can breathe (rear/front ports etc.) and the sofa has space behind as shown and the dimensions are more rectangular than square. Speaker leads can be cut into underlay if carpeted or put into a conduit where the entrance is, if feasible (one lead shouldn't present a problem being tucked up to the opening if there's a lip). Presumably, depending on dimensions, you can move things round by 90 degrees each way to experiment. Power supply placement is obv. important here, esp. if you had dedicated radial supplies installed during the conversion.

I didn't really want to post photos as I don't live in the house yet and it's in a bit of disarray at the moment, but hey...when I get in there it won't be recognizable!

RijFJ3W.jpg

p6OXeH9.jpg

The door that is open inside the room leads to a utility/storage room. I believe there is enough room to clear speakers, but I won't be sure until I'm in there moving the chess pieces around.

The wood paneling will be removed or painted. The flooring will be replaced and the green light that looks like it smokes a pack a day will be removed.

Wow! A table tennis table. Can't you re-site the hifi?. Actually, by the look of it, a bit more room would be needed for serious table tennis. I have no experience of wooden walls, but I'd have serious reservations about their (negative) effect on s.q.. Re the door, maybe reverse it to open t'other way (away from the speaker)?. Oddly shaped ceiling should break up any standing waves too.

I have a feeling the current owner had it as his "hang out room", had children and then it became where his dreams stayed and died.

Looks promising, a bit different from the usual domestic environment, the green lamps look like the type usually found over a snooker or pool table.

advertisement

Back