advertisement

WAV to FLAC - populating tags

I have several hundred CDs which over the years I have ripped to WAV files. To improve the way I navigate these files I now need to convert them to FLACs. The actual WAV to FLAC conversion can be done easily using dbpoweramp. This produces FLAC files containing audio data, but with none of the tags populated. There are many utilities which claim to populate most of the CD and track level tags, but none of them seem to deliver. Does anyone have experience of software which can reliably do this?

Thanks, Ian.

Two questions come to mind:

1) do your WAV files have tags in them?
If the do, then there are several converters out there who will pick those up and transfer them to the destination format. Foobar is one of them.
Otherwise it is possible to create a conversion template in Foobar from the folder names.

2) When you say that you want to improve the way you navigate them, what exactly do you mean by that?
If the WAV files are tagged then there are plenty of applications who read those for navigation purposes. For example, Squeezebox LMS does read those tags and uses them to populate their database enabling you to easily navigate them. My music collection is also largely composed out of WAV files and this works fine.

Many years ago i converted with dbpoweramp (batch mode) my whole library from flac to wav and i have all tags. Imho wav sounds very little better, than flac, maybe the flac-wav decompression process is causing some stream fluctuations and higher jitter, i don't know. Bits and bytes are absolutely the same, but sonically i prefer waves ... For most people flacs sounds the same, as waves, i don't want another flame war, anybody can do their own tests and decide. HD space is so cheap today.

If I may piggy back onto the OP's query, is there a way to get tag info out of Discogs & into my FLAC files via dbpoweramp? Some of my rips are either too new or obscure for dbpoweramp (using the databases included) to pick up, but they are on Discogs.

is there a way to get tag info out of Discogs & into my FLAC files via dbpoweramp?

Not that I know of, however, I believe SongKong leverages discogs as well as Musicbrainz so should meet your needs. It's not expensive and I believe there's a demo mode that'll show you the changes it'll make so you can what will come from it.

Two questions come to mind:

1) do your WAV files have tags in them?
If the do, then there are several converters out there who will pick those up and transfer them to the destination format. Foobar is one of them.
Otherwise it is possible to create a conversion template in Foobar from the folder names.

2) When you say that you want to improve the way you navigate them, what exactly do you mean by that?
If the WAV files are tagged then there are plenty of applications who read those for navigation purposes. For example, Squeezebox LMS does read those tags and uses them to populate their database enabling you to easily navigate them. My music collection is also largely composed out of WAV files and this works fine.

Sorry to take so long getting back to you; forgot to take my laptop when I was away!

1) No tags in my WAVs. No sure if I used EAC or an older version of dbPoweramp, it's all been done over several years.

2) Exactly that, but see 1).

If I may piggy back onto the OP's query, is there a way to get tag info out of Discogs & into my FLAC files via dbpoweramp? Some of my rips are either too new or obscure for dbpoweramp (using the databases included) to pick up, but they are on Discogs.

As a dbpoweramp user, I don’t think it can do this. mp3tag definitely will, though.

advertisement

Back