advertisement

System Pics 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. They were made the year I was born, but I think they’ve aged better!
The same is true of my LP12... although to be fair, only the plinth, top plate and outer platter are original, the rest has been upgraded, some since this picture was taken.
VKcidir.jpg

Nice LP12 and Nima! I always liked this combo, especially now that the Aro arm is kind of tough to find these days-well, at a price I would want to pay anyway!

Nice LP12 and Nima! I always liked this combo, especially now that the Aro arm is kind of tough to find these days-well, at a price I would want to pay anyway!
Thank you, yes it’s a great combination... it is rather wobbly, but provided it’s got a solid foundation, that’s not an issue (the floor is solid).

IMG_2255.JPG
Philips-DAC960-TDA1541A-S2-034-small.jpg

My new (old) DAC, which has had some components changed by the previous owner.

The DAC has a natural perspective which I'm only used to hearing from vinyl. It lacks the absolute detail of other digital sources I've owned, but the instrumental timbres and sense of ensemble are very very good.
Transport is is similar vintage Meridian 207.

I'm wondering if an AMR CD77 may add the extras bit of detail.

IMG_2255.JPG

The DAC has a natural perspective which I'm only used to hearing from vinyl. It lacks the absolute detail of other digital sources I've owned, but the instrumental timbres and sense of ensemble are very very good.

AWESOME !!! I want one and start listening to music and stop worrying about technical specs.
The look is just WOW to me.
And, do you really need more details ?

Finally an f-ing photo in the photo thread! I needed some eye candy after looking at the MQA thread for too long. I'll try to keep the ball rolling. Here's my vintage system which is a work in progress:
  • Sansui AU-717 amp that I overhauled last year.
  • Sansui TU-517 that was sold as 'for parts or not working' but turned out to just have no working bulbs.
  • JBL 4312A monitors that I'm in the process of restoring and re-veneering.

IMG-20210404-151514.jpg

Note the face mask actually being used for something other than preventing the spread of Covid. I never used to be able to find a mask when I needed them. Now they're all over the place!

Nice CX100....

AWESOME !!! I want one and start listening to music and stop worrying about technical specs.
The look is just WOW to me.
And, do you really need more details ?

I think I do. It is a little congested in busy orchestral music. My Meridian 808 separates all the strands. But the Philips plays a better piano.

Nice CX100....
Good eye. :)

They're physically in great shape and the previous owner even had the drivers all replaced when B&O still had them available. Unfortunately he decided to take them to his work one day (Rolls Royce) and re-brush them, which removed the anodizing. Now, unless you polish them, cover them in car wax, and only handle them with gloves, they basically sit there and oxidize and attract fingerprints. Lame.

Good eye. :)

They're physically in great shape and the previous owner even had the drivers all replaced when B&O still had them available. Unfortunately he decided to take them to his work one day (Rolls Royce) and re-brush them, which removed the anodizing. Now, unless you polish them, cover them in car wax, and only handle them with gloves, they basically sit there and oxidize and attract fingerprints. Lame.
Doh! We had some white ones in the 70s. You should paint them white.

Here's my system after almost finished house move. Still need to come up with a CD-storage solution. And do some cable management.

System is very much pfm influenced and sourced.

LP12, Lingo, with Nima and AT33PTGII (some nice fishie sold me a used 33PTG for a nice price once, and thanks to this purchase I was able to find my ultimate cart - I have since moved to brand new PTGII with almost zero urge to upgrade).
Sitting on Target wall shelf (also bought here).

Phono stage is Dino2 with NCPSU (bought here).

NAC72 (bought here) is populated with RSL boards (partly bought here).
Going into NAP140 (bough here) at the moment as NAP180 has now almost reached Witch Hat after almost 2 months of shipping time (that's Brexit and ParcelForce incompetence for ya).

CD player is still very competent Arcam Alpha 7SE. Streaming is done via ChromeCastAudio (bought here), mostly combined with Chord Mojo - you guessed it, bough here :)

So, some lazy phone pics...
Almost forgot, speakers are Harbeth P3ESR, bought here.

20210502-184814-2.jpg

20210502-185027-2.jpg

Here's my system after almost finished house move. Still need to come up with a CD-storage solution. And do some cable management.

System is very much pfm influenced and sourced.

LP12, Lingo, with Nima and AT33PTGII (some nice fishie sold me a used 33PTG for a nice price once, and thanks to this purchase I was able to find my ultimate cart - I have since moved to brand new PTGII with almost zero urge to upgrade).
Sitting on Target wall shelf (also bought here).

Phono stage is Dino2 with NCPSU (bought here).

NAC72 (bought here) is populated with RSL boards (partly bought here).
Going into NAP140 (bough here) at the moment as NAP180 has now almost reached Witch Hat after almost 2 months of shipping time (that's Brexit and ParcelForce incompetence for ya).

CD player is still very competent Arcam Alpha 7SE. Streaming is done via ChromeCastAudio (bought here), mostly combined with Chord Mojo - you guessed it, bough here :)

So, some lazy phone pics...
Almost forgot, speakers are Harbeth P3ESR, bought here.

20210502-184814-2.jpg

20210502-185027-2.jpg
That’s a really nice and balanced system, I’m also really taken with the PTG cart, using it on my Techy with great success, got the AT off eBay for a good price under £400 a while back, they seem to be going for nearer rrp now.

Thanks for kind words everyone, now I regret I didn't take proper camera photos. White balance is all over the place. As is admittedly the wood in the room, but it works out quite alright.
All the doors came with the place, they are almost new, obviously were not cheap and are oak veneer (not as orange as in the pic), flooring is also oak. Speakers are cherry, but turned out very dark. Turntable is extremely nice walnut, much nicer than in the close up pic and all the Kallaxes in the room are fake maple.
And CD-shelving will probably be made out of poplar ply.

I have enough kit to make several systems but this is my 'default' rack these days:

20210504_083555 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

• Glasshouse Audio TVC passive pre amp.
  • Chi-Fi EAR834P clone phono stage (tweaked and upgraded).
  • Prototype Marantz CD12 transport (Ken Ishiwata modified Philips LHH1001). Purchased from David G Prakel.
  • Prototype Marantz CD12 DAC (Ken Ishiwata modified Philips LHH1002).
  • Fully rebuilt Radford STA25
The Radford runs from a DC blocker and the sources run from an Avery Magnetics balanced isolation transformer.

Thorens TD125 mk2 in non-original cherry wood plinth. SME 3009 (series 2 Improved, fixed headshell) rewired with silver litz . Ortofon M20FL Super. Acrylic armboard. AudioSilente motor pulley.

20210504_083450 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

IMG_2255.JPG

Lovely! If it was mine I'd be wanting to get those Philips electrolytics swapped out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back