advertisement

Truly Great One-offs

I definitely have 2 different mixes on 12" singles with similar covers.

I’ve done a bit of research on Discogs and elsewhere are at least two distinctly different 12” mixes, one at about 6:35, and a much longer one at about 10:30 which goes into a long instrumental part after the ‘drum machine & metal bashing’ bit. I’ve just ordered a Japanese copy as that is definitely the long mix. I certainly remember it from clubs back in the day, I’ve just never found one in the wild. The only thing I’m unclear about is whether the 10 minute plus mix is the same as the extended version on the album CD (which is totally different to the original vinyl, as is Dream Within A Dream and some other tracks). ZTT were certainly an interesting label even if I don’t entirely believe their account of the FGTH story which conflicts with what I’ve heard more directly through the grapevine and the evidence of demos, sessions etc. Paul Morley could always spin a good yarn…

PS Here’s the really long mix:

I think that version is the "Das Testaments Des Mabuse" version and is available on the "Outside World" and "Noise And Girls Come Out To Play" compilations and is the (CD Remix) version on the original CD of "A Secret Wish" and was then cut to 5 mins in the later CDs ("Dr Mabuse (First Life)").

The 2xCD deluxe version from Salvo sees it returned as a 10:42 version of "Das Testaments..." and has "Die Tausend Augen Des Mabuse" which is the "13th Life" mix without the fade and finish at 6 minutes, and the "(First Life)" as bonuses. And they omitted "Jewelled". B*stards.

And they omitted "Jewelled". B*stards.

No Femme Fatale either! I suspect a few mixes of P:Machinery were lost behind the sofa too, but I’ve only got the one 12” of that. It’s a good CD though, interesting to hear the huge cassette mix of Jewel/Dual and the other bits and bobs. The remastering is interesting, its one that sounds better on the 149s and LS3/5As, but worse on the big Tannoys.

I suspect you are right about the long mix(es) of Mabuse being the CD album version in various guises. IIRC the CD appeared quite some time after the vinyl so had the opportunity to include some club mixes that wouldn’t have been available when the vinyl was cut. There are multiple CDs too, the original Japanese CD issue being the vinyl mix, which suggests it predates the UK CD. This was all new to me until relatively recently as I bought the album and 12” singles when they were current and didn’t even have a CD player until about 6 years later! It was quite a shock when I found the CD and found it was totally different!

PS I suspect there are a fair few obscure 12” mixes of Grace Jones Slave To The Rhythm floating about too. That would be another interesting one to deep-dive.

I bought A Secret Wish on the day it was released (33 rpm record).
I have listened to it regularly ever since, still mint, never bought the CD.
Jewel has always been my favourite.
There was an article in HFW about the band.
I’ll try to find it.

I’ve done a bit of research on Discogs and elsewhere are at least two distinctly different 12” mixes, one at about 6:35, and a much longer one at about 10:30 which goes into a long instrumental part after the ‘drum machine & metal bashing’ bit. I’ve just ordered a Japanese copy as that is definitely the long mix. I certainly remember it from clubs back in the day, I’ve just never found one in the wild. The only thing I’m unclear about is whether the 10 minute plus mix is the same as the extended version on the album CD (which is totally different to the original vinyl, as is Dream Within A Dream and some other tracks). ZTT were certainly an interesting label even if I don’t entirely believe their account of the FGTH story which conflicts with what I’ve heard more directly through the grapevine and the evidence of demos, sessions etc. Paul Morley could always spin a good yarn…

PS Here’s the really long mix:

Like you I bought their output on vinyl at the time as CD was not in my life back then. My two covers look like the one in the YouTube video. Totally agree about FGTH, I think ZTT created their own narrative their to an extent, but you're right ZTT are fun to research and had some very leading edge recordings for the time.

Jasmine - Tropical Breeze

Dalek I - Compass/Kum’pass

Montrose - Montrose

Alexander Skip Spence - Oar

Elecktroids - Elecktroworld

Jonathan Wilson - Gentle Spirit

TLC - CrazySexyCool

Various - Jazz at the Pawnshop

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

Mop Mop - Lunar Love

The Dictators - Go Girl Crazy

Geils - Monkey Island

Hey, the Dictators made two more great albums after Go Girl Crazy. Neither of them was the one after it, though.

Great album but not really a one-off as their two other albums are pretty damn good too.
I thought I was probably the only one left on the planet that liked New Musik :D

I went for From A to B as this album, as far as I am aware, contained their only charting singles.

Great album but not really a one-off as their two other albums are pretty damn good too.
I thought I was probably the only one left on the planet that liked New Musik :D

I think ‘Anywhere’ is a better New Musik album. Very good production.

I also have the 12” of ‘The Planet Doesn’t Mind’ by New Musik.

You are not alone...:)

Something in a different vein... Above and Beyond presents Oceanlab: Sirens of the Sea

R-1400086-1619859846-7759.jpeg.jpg

The Remains self titled debut is truly great

It would have been even better with a sympathetic producer capabale of capturing their live energy. A great example of 'The one that got away'. I'm in no doubt that Barry Tashian could have had a very long and successful career had his first taste of the music industry not been so sour. Still, it's still a remarkably accomplished album that sounds ahead of it's time.

advertisement

Back