advertisement

Volvo XC40

livingthedream

pfm Member
The Mrs wants a new car and she’s thinking of the Volvo XC40 recharge r design pro, does anyone own one of these?

The pure electric range looks poor at 28 miles so probably 20ish in the real world but this would cover 90% of driving and she’s got petrol for longer journeys.

Im guessing this will benefit her with taxes but I don’t get involved with that side.

I fancy one of these Volvo twin engine cars too, but to read the motoring press I may possibly be the only person alive who doesn't think the XC40 looks cool and modern. I think it looks blocky and clumsy. So if it were me, I'd be looking at the V60, but that's quite a bit bigger.

I fancy one of these Volvo twin engine cars too, but to read the motoring press I may possibly be the only person alive who doesn't think the XC40 looks cool and modern. I think it looks blocky and clumsy. So if it were me, I'd be looking at the V60, but that's quite a bit bigger.
...not to mention a whole lot more expensive. Personally I can ignore the XC40's looks, simply because one would fit in our garage (its footprint is only slightly larger than that of our V40), whereas an XC60 wouldn't. It's also quite nice to drive (I've had one as a loan car when mine is in for its annual service). There's a C40 coming, but that will be pure electric.

I got an XC60 T6 R hybrid about 6 weeks ago as a company car. Nice car, very comfy and bags of room for the sproglets. Cheaper car tax than my previous 320d estate. Well chuffed. If she doesn’t need the space I’m sure an XC40 will do just fine.

It something that needs to be in the right colour and to be seen in the metal. I thought it was a bit too brick-like in the press pictures but a friend has just bought a D3 in blue and it looks very good.

I think space should be enough for her and although we’ve two dogs there only cavaliers.

I agree that they look a bit blocky but for some reason I do like the look of it, she wants thunder grey which looks ok.

We’ve got an XC40. It’s got the most ponderous auto gearbox I’ve used. The infotainment system is glitchy and the collision avoidance system is still too sensitive, despite the dealer adjusting the radar.

Not easy to reverse park either due to the car auto braking due to the parking sensors, then it springs backwards off the handbrake when you apply the smallest amount of acceleration.

With hindsight I should have bought a Q3 or X1. Both come with less kit but I think the tech that is there is better engineered.

We’ve got an XC40. It’s got the most ponderous auto gearbox I’ve used. The infotainment system is glitchy and the collision avoidance system is still too sensitive, despite the dealer adjusting the radar.

Not easy to reverse park either due to the car auto braking due to the parking sensors, then it springs backwards off the handbrake when you apply the smallest amount of acceleration.

With hindsight I should have bought a Q3 or X1. Both come with less kit but I think the tech that is there is better engineered.

Wife bought an X1 after comparing for precisely the reasons you highlight. The BMW systems and fit and finish was much better, she has been really pleased with it one year on.

She really wants an hybrid so I’ll need to look again at the x1 and q3 and see what’s available

Have a look at the Lexus UX250h / NX300h as well. The CVT can be a bit of a dealbreaker but if you can live with it (ie you're not a motoring journalist), the car comes with a lot of kit, they're almost bombproof and if they do go TU, Lexus have probably the best aftersales service. And there's some good offers at the moment...

https://www.lexus.co.uk/latest-offers/personal/ux

£6500 down, £259 a month over 48 months / 32000 miles.

Lexus does well in Which? - admittedly a large one here, but Lexuses (Lexii?) are renowned for being bomb-proof.

Lexus RX (2015-)
79%
£48966.00
Reviewed Apr 2016
If you’re looking for an extremely well-made luxury hybrid SUV, the Lexus RX Hybrid - our highest-scoring new hybrid model overall - will serve you well. It won’t match a Range Rover off-road, but it’s spacious, comfortable and incredibly refined. Tested fuel economy isn't bad for an SUV, especially around town. Factor in Lexus’ superior reliability, based on our in-depth survey of owners, and the RX is a cracking large hybrid SUV.

Been looking recently and the new Lexus UX comes in a choice of Hybrid or all electric, looks very smart and from what my Volvo XC40 owning neighbor says, will be the replacement in the near future.

(EDIT: beaten to it, shoulda refreshed the page!!)

https://www.lexus.co.uk/electrified/

Just be aware that plug in hybrids are a magnet for thieves. Apparently the charging cables are worth big bucks & easy to nick. Service costs are potentially higher.

It will probably only be charged at home which should be safe and she normally gets the service plan so I’d hope servicing shouldn’t be too bad

advertisement

Back