advertisement

PayPal not on eBay - glitch or new deal?

miktec

retired
Just went to pay for something on eBay and checkout didn't feature the Paypal link - just credit card payment.
Used it a couple of days ago with no probs ...

Is this a glitch or some new direction they've taken?

Their deal with paypal is over - they were going to use another service (Chinese iirc), but as it hasn't shown up on the page yet I'm assuming that fell through.

That said - one moment (wombles off to eBay to buy a thing)

OK, Paypal is back in the room :) The deal was supposed to be ending in 2020, with eBay changing to direct transfer of funds, apparently. That's what the internet says, and we all know it never, ever lies.

That's what the internet says, and we all know it never, ever lies.

Much, often.

The system is slower - takes something like 5 days to be paid, but costs are reduced.
With the amount of ££ going through EPay, that delay will earn them mega-bucks, but will save sellers a small amount.

Their deal with paypal is over - they were going to use another service (Chinese iirc), but as it hasn't shown up on the page yet I'm assuming that fell through.

That said - one moment (wombles off to eBay to buy a thing)

OK, Paypal is back in the room :) The deal was supposed to be ending in 2020, with eBay changing to direct transfer of funds, apparently. That's what the internet says, and we all know it never, ever lies.

June 2023 was the date I read somewhere on 't web ...

But sounds like it may have been be a glitch then after all - will try again later.
(or pop down the shops this week ....)

Tried again with a few different items from various sellers ...

Some offered PayPal at checkout, others didn't.

Interesting times :rolleyes:

I've been barraged by emails imploring me to update my details lest I lose my ability to list items for sale i.e. give them my bank details. I've not done it as I'm tempted to use this as an opportunity to wean myself off eBay (as I've previously done on Amazon). I'm feeling some teenage rebellion welling up and am inclined to decline. Sod 'em all :D

Strange - I don't use PayPal but a friend spends half his life on EPay and he said a couple of days ago that PayPal had finished on the bay, as though it was absolutely no more.

I find all this a bit weird given that Ebay used to own PayPal.
"Used to" is the operative phrase.

I've been cajoled and mildly threatened (a bit melodramatic) to add my bank details, lest I lose my ability to sell.
I don't want Ebay knowing my payment details. I do put a lot of business through them, mostly buying, but selling too.
Most of my items are high value, many of them collect only.

The main change for a seller is the 12.8% commission, whether it's a cash sale or not and the fact they will hold on to your payment instead of being paid immediately if you were a mature Paypal account holder (mature in the sense of having plenty of transaction history and not a new user).

I don't like that, they shouldn't be charging for something they don't provide any utility or service for and they're also holding onto my money for their benefit.

I'm going to see how long I can abstain.

I believe that a seller within eBay would be able to choose to not allow buyers to utilise PayPal for payment. However, I am not certain of why a seller possibly would choose to not allow that.

I believe that a seller within eBay would be able to choose to not allow buyers to utilise PayPal for payment. However, I am not certain of why a seller possibly would choose to not allow that.

Because normal card payment is now an option on eBay, and it avoids the seller having to pay PayPal fees.

If a seller allows PayPal and a buyer uses it, the seller will have to pay the new, increased eBay fees as well as the PayPal fees.

Because normal card payment is now an option on eBay, and it avoids the seller having to pay PayPal fees.

If a seller allows PayPal and a buyer uses it, the seller will have to pay the new, increased eBay fees as well as the PayPal fees.
My understanding had been that it now would not be possible for a seller within eBay to receive a payment to a PayPal account. Would that not be correct?

My understanding had been that it now would not be possible for a seller within eBay to receive a payment to a PayPal account. Would that not be correct?

Ah, I think you're correct. Sorry for the mistake. However, from what I've read, buyers can still choose to use PayPal to pay. If they do so, though, who will pay the PayPal fees? I'm confused.

Ah, I think you're correct. Sorry for the mistake. However, from what I've read, buyers can still choose to use PayPal to pay. If they do so, though, who will pay the PayPal fees? I'm confused.
There is not any need for you to apologise for that error. That is confusing that a buyer still would be able to send a payment utilising PayPal, although the seller would not be able to receive that payment to a PayPal account.

They won't be having my bank details. I hope their greed comes back to bite them on the arse :mad:
I have a separate bank account I use to feed PayPal. They can have details of that, and I will empty it as soon as I have sold something. I still (today) pay with PayPal.
As for the 2.8% charge, I may have to sell my QUAD 2805s on ebay (if they don't sell on one of the forums), and that will be for cash or bank transfer on pick-up. As they won't be couriered, I won't be protected by ebay. And they will still charge 2.8%!

If you've noticed, of late, when making PayPal purchases that the payment is to ebay, who then pass that on to the seller. Although sellers still receive the PayPal payment, it comes from ebay on behalf of the buyer (for the time being)

This is a transition period. In future, sellers can elect only to accept ebay payments, not PayPal.

It's worth noting that you only get seller or buyer protection if an ebay approved payment method is used. PayPal is currently approved. The key difference here is that disputes have to go through ebay, not PayPal (could do either in past). Cash payments are not approved. No seller or buyer protection. Sellers who insist on cash payments will be seriously limiting their chance of a sale or good price. Few buyers will want to purchase without buyer protection.

All these new arrangements were circulated in an update to their T&C, which most probably didn't bother to read!

advertisement

Back