advertisement

Valve amp heat

barryb

pfm Member
Temperature wise, how problematic or not is it to practically have a valve amp in your living/ listening space?

I briefly dem'd a KT88 amp that output relatively serious Wattage (Cronus Magnum, 100 Watts) and found it too much. Would something like a Primaluna be more accommodating in that sense? Or do folks switch up depending on the time of year?

I guess it depends on the room, but I’ve never had an issue with either my old Prima Luna or either of my Leaks heating up the room too much. In the winter anything is welcome, in the summer I don’t really notice. To be honest the only amp that I’ve felt made a (small) room uncomfortable was a Krell KSA100 solid state amp. That thing really was a fan heater.

It'll also depend on the amp. For example; my Radford STA25 throws out significantly more heat than my Leak Stereo 20.

Indeed. I’m assuming 100W of KT88s is four a channel, and eight of those will really kick out some heat (and spin the electric meter!). A whole different thing to a couple of EL84s each side.

You will always be very close to the truth if you assume that all of the power consumed by the amp' ends up as heat (in totally literal terms, it is 100% accurate, as even the music will be absorbed by the fabric of the room and appear as heat).
It is exactly the same for essentially all electrical equipment.

Tricky to find now, but the simplest way to judge at minimal cost would be to run as many old-style GLS lamps as required to meet the same power output.

Valve amp's are slightly "odd" as the valve heaters run come what may, only the power consumption for music production varies (with volume).

Thanks all. Seems another dem may be in store so...Really, I can only have one amp so best make sure it works in all aspects.

BTW, the Cronus only has four output KT88's but it must run them hard for that spec wattage. Maybe that added to my problem.

I had a Cronus, both in EL34 and KT120 versions. The KT88s would be in between those two in terms of heat output.
Yes, it got hot. But the heat output ultimately wasn't a factor in me moving it on. Amongst modern push-pull amps of significant wattage, I don't think there will be massive differences in heat output. Vintage designs like Quad IIs or older EL84 types will put out less heat, but they still get hot. Does it matter? Well I have air-conditioning here for the hottest periods of the year, which makes all the difference!

Really, I can only have one amp so best make sure it works in all aspects.

In that case you may well find valve preamp and solid state power is the way to go. If I ever slim down to one system that is the way I’d go as no way would I want to be wasting a good set of power valves just watching Newsnight or whatever. My main system is valve pre/solid state power and I have no worries running it hour on end as small signal valves are comparatively cool running and last for years and years, likely decades (the good ones do anyway). I only use the ‘proper’ valve amps for critical nearfield listening a few hours a week.

4 x 211s here and they do get quite hot but I’ve never felt uncomfortable with them on even in the height of summer. Downstairs is one big room and an open staircase so that must help I suppose.

I guess it depends on the room, but I’ve never had an issue with either my old Prima Luna or either of my Leaks heating up the room too much. In the winter anything is welcome, in the summer I don’t really notice. To be honest the only amp that I’ve felt made a (small) room uncomfortable was a Krell KSA100 solid state amp. That thing really was a fan heater.

Did you find the Krell significantly more a room heater than valve amps?

I'm picking up a KSA100 next week..

I find my valve mono blocks too much on a hot summers day. I've been mulling over the purchase of a solid state for those days.

I listen all day in my small office and have the radiator permanently off. In the winter it's cold in the mornings, but by the afternoon the valves will have more than taken the edge off and by the evening it's the same temp as the rest of the house.

In high summer I switch to a mainly SS system, but even that (including a class d power amp) throws off heat you can feel in a small room that's already hot.

advertisement

Back