advertisement

CORGI homeplan

I am aware of his being a plumber, but that Netaheat boiler I had 25 years ago was already old by then. However, I guess any plumber has come across most if not all boilers if that has been his trade for yonks.

There are certainly a lot of old boilers still around.

I am aware of his being a plumber, but that Netaheat boiler I had 25 years ago was already old by then. However, I guess any plumber has come across most if not all boilers if that has been his trade for yonks.

Aye just a few years in the game, 46 to be precise.

Btw OP, I was called out on an emergency back in January to deal with an outside tap that had burst due to frost, the customer had Corgi Homeplan but they refused to attend on the basis the problem was outside the house despite the plumbing for the outside tap being inside the house ie the customer couldn’t isolate the supply to the outside tap because the valve was under the kitchen floor so they had to turn the water off to the whole house and therefore had no water which is why they called me.

Corgi gave them my number.

There are certainly a lot of old boilers still around.
Not all get serviced regularly though ;)
But they`ll still keep you warm.

Built like brick shithouses, as the saying goes. Cast iron heat exchangers and few electronics. I was always told that having a permanent pilot light was a good thing, albeit wasting a bit of gas) 'cos it kept the innards warm. The one which rusted at the back 25+ years ago had one, but my more antique (and bigger) Netaheat one now has piezo-electric start (? well, no constant flame, anyway).

Many years ago my parents had a washing machine plan. After forking out for four years the machine went wrong and the "engineer" just said it was too old to fix.....
I took up the British Gas 3 Star Gas Plan in the late 90s - I had a house that I had to rent out when I joined up and they would service and certificate the boiler for the tenant. On the first service they came back with a comment along the lines of the boiler was on its last legs and would be beyond economical repair. I sold the house twenty two years later with the boiler still running perfectly.

Although I never called them out for any incidents, the premium went up every year without fail - asking why or how to get the amount down to reasonable levels was always met with no meaningful response; they thrive on the fear that the boiler will explode and raze the house to the ground.

yes BG will try and sell you a boiler , one thing i like about the Vaillant chaps is they role up every year [ 21 years old ] and say , oh yes we have most of the parts we can keep this going for ages . never once tried to persuade me to change it .

I like Vaillant. Their parts are available reconditioned.
Think it was around £75 for a £250 circuit board

21 year old vaillant failed yesterday . called them and they came today . not a very happy chappie as he felt it was obsolete !!! but nevertheless he proceeded to fit a diverter valve [110 quid] and various other parts including a pressure vessel. not bad really considering its 21 years old and supposed to be obsolete , think i got back my entire years premium today and more !! 10/10 to vaillant

21 year old vaillant failed yesterday . called them and they came today . not a very happy chappie as he felt it was obsolete !!! but nevertheless he proceeded to fit a diverter valve [110 quid] and various other parts including a pressure vessel. not bad really considering its 21 years old and supposed to be obsolete , think i got back my entire years premium today and more !! 10/10 to vaillant
If there are spares, it ain't obsolete. Innit.

If there are spares, it ain't obsolete. Innit.

If any spares are not available and I mean any spares, screws or nuts or a boiler thermostat knob etc then the boiler is obsolete that doesn’t mean you can’t repair it just means the likes of BG can tell you to do one if you’re on their contract.

I repaired a 1977 boiler last week, most spares are no longer available but you can still buy some parts which in this case was a Honeywell thermocouple don’t think the gas valve is available or the boiler thermostat but there will be some second hand on eBay.

I was advised by my boiler guy to take out a WB plan. Our boiler works very hard, the house has 4 floors. The heat exchanger suffers. The internals have been mostly replaced a couple of times. I don’t know whether the plan is cost effective but at least WB are quick if there’s an issue.

Wanted the dil to take out a wb plan, at 17 quid a month inc service I think it's good vfm. They have the boiler on 24/7 7 days a year !! She chose bg!!

advertisement

Back