advertisement

Toilet Trouble!

I fitted it again this afternoon with a doughnut of plumbers mait inside the cistern and the plastic nut from the old unit underneath.

Seal around the cistern inlet now seems to be good but whatever I do the stop valve leaks - either a regular drip or water everywhere.... I've tried some PTFE tape to no avail.

I'm wondering now whether the drip was actually the stop valve all along.

Time to call in an expert I think! (though probably not much chance on a bank holiday weekend...)

Where does the stop valve leak Paul?

Stick up a couple of photos, BTW do you have a washer between the brass shank and the stop valve?

It looks like it's leaking from underneath the nut of the stop valve.

ZNEdo7Q.png

Just checked the bathroom floor - no sign of any washers.

So the red fibre washer should sit between the brass shank and the nut of the stop valve?

I had a similar thing on my toilet after fitting a new valve I put a o ring inside the fitting on a shoulder on the pipe that goes inside the brass sleeve.

Pete

Just checked the bathroom floor - no sign of any washers.

So the red fibre washer should sit between the brass shank and the nut of the stop valve?

Aye exactly Paul, you could make a washer up if you have a piece of rubber or similar and cover it in PTFE.

Maybe even a small coin or similar & covered in PTFE if you're struggling

Looks like the local plumbers merchants has red fibre washers so I'll pop down in the morning.

I'm hoping there will be enough clearance to just slide it in without undoing the plastic nut on the shank - I did it hand tight but it really doesn't want to budge now and I've realised I don't have a wrench big enough! Time to invest in a pair of vice grips perhaps.

Fitted the red fibre washer - stop valve still drips...

It's starting to make me exceptionally grumpy so I've emailed a plumber to come and sort it out while my wife is still talking to me!

Fitted the red fibre washer - stop valve still drips...

It's starting to make me exceptionally grumpy so I've emailed a plumber to come and sort it out while my wife is still talking to me!

Wrap the washer with PTFE Paul or if you have boss white smear that on the washer, so what I mean by wrapping the washer is just take some PTFE and wind it round the outside of the washer so that you have the washer covered in PTFE tap on both sides of the washer but don't use too much tape just maybe a couple of inches of tape and then tighten the nut and also hold the threaded shank of the filling valve whilst you tighten the nut, use a small pair of footprints/grips or pliers or whatever to hold the threads of the shank and another pair of grips/footprints/pliers to tighten the nut against the brass shank.

advertisement

Back