advertisement

Name a 'beautiful' amplifier.

I like the looks of this one, but would have to get rid of the massive logo.

mizJOnD.jpg

Thanks. I knew it reminded me of something but all I could think of was my Spectrum 128k

qT0KDJCl.png

This - no ?

A "TOCA" 300W mono pair in Blue Granite.

See Avatar, it the big one 1.8M high and mono.

Last edited:
I personally don't prefer anything the understated, elegant, but purposeful look of the current Croft amps.

51104371776_04d35e289f_b.jpg

To me it looks like a home made amp in a generic box with cheap silk print on the box.

It's non-imposing so I give it that.

I have seen better looking biscuit tins but they probably don't sound as good.

I agree. There’s not a lot inside either. Not good value for money for me at all.
That said, simple valve schematics with point to point wiring (no PCB) usually gives good sound, in my experience (I’ve built many of those).

I agree. There’s not a lot inside either. Not good value for money for me at all.
That said, simple valve schematics with point to point wiring (no PCB) usually gives good sound, in my experience (I’ve built many of those).

Have you heard a Croft? ;) Admittedly I’ve not heard the recent variations, but have had a basic mid-80s Croft Micro II with light mods in my system for last 14 years - I’ve tried many other pre-amps (solid state and valve) since and the Croft always won out. It took a vintage Croft Mega Micro to surpass it 6 months ago. On top of that, I also have not found a better phono stage yet to my old ears.

No I haven’t. No need. I’m sure they are excellent products! As I said, I’ve built many valve preamps myself and still use one today.

Just by the look of the boxes and what’s inside I’d say they must be very profitable products, admittedly from a small manufacturer, but still.
I’ve read many very favourable reviews over what ? 30 years ?

But seriously?

file.php

I've gone round the amplifier houses a bit and come back to Croft a few times now. Pres, especially, offer something I find I miss once it's gone. Design-wise, so personal isn't it but I really dig the aesthetic, in the flesh in particular. Nice tactility too.

I have never knowingly heard any Croft gear, it may well sound fantastic & be right up my street flavour wise, but I wouldn't buy anything that looks like the picture above. To me it just looks like a home build DIY job thrown into the cheapest box they could find, really uninspiring & there is no need for it to be in this day & age. I am sure there are a lot of people happy with it though, no problem with that, each to their own.

It's in the eye of the beholder. it's in originality or quirkiness...it's in quality finish.. etc...

7KbRGvKTKfRL1U-US37MMHV8Hox93MHHYNByZ7GnuGAwWqmiRf9YxWmg-83bTk9O4QxYgJl5By3rlf4E14hSS1ePz-NlVWidovB-8vK92cXvWf7CoYWBgRd3AmjfqwzM0n06itvE_tYSAeK2mVgep1_uFdmwlUWz_aBRsd8kSY1NAHQaf54GEDL95t9LkQ

My first decent amp was the Obelisk 1 above..except mine was prettier because it had the neater push buttons..which though still plastic.. looked machined, rather than moulded. Also my vol knob was clean black without the affectation of the shiny bit. I loved the simplicity and understatement...with just a modest ION logo.

I followed that with a 3X/X-PAK which looked the same only better.. and finally a pair them..bi-amping.

I had a pair of Papworth M100 mono amps for years. They were beautifully made.. but I also had a soft spot for the Papworth TVA10. A direct descendent of the Michaelson and Austin amp originally designed by the late Tim De Paravicini.. but far better built and finished.

tva10sml.jpg

I recall some fabulous looking Lynx..perspex fronted amps in Brady's Liverpool store about 30 years ago. Nebula?.. Theta?..I don't know and I never heard them but they looked amazing. I also had a soft spot for the red perspex fronted Albarry range.

There was lots of interesting looking stuff about ..

But this will probably see me off...

lfd-front-2.jpg

advertisement

Back