advertisement

Truly Great One-offs

Vinny

pfm Member
How many are there? Who made them?

One of my all-time greats, by zny measure, is Frankie – Welcome to the Pleasuredome - playing now, for the first time this year....

I know of nothing even remotely close to. Why is there nothing out there that hits the same spot? Why have no other bands sought to emulate? Can ayone explain the greatness of this album?

Thanks Frankie, thanks Holly

( I just wish that I also had at least one of all the merch' that the original album advertised via the inner sleeve...............)

How many are there? Who made them?

One of my all-time greats, by zny measure, is Frankie – Welcome to the Pleasuredome - playing now, for the first time this year....

I know of nothing even remotely close to. Why is there nothing out there that hits the same spot? Why have no other bands sought to emulate? Can ayone explain the greatness of this album?

Thanks Frankie, thanks Holly

( I just wish that I also had at least one of all the merch' that the original album advertised via the inner sleeve...............)
I remember their impact.Every release was an event. They burned brightly for too short a time. Very well produced album. Was it Trevor Horn?

Great album, I have read that the Blockheads were the actual players.

Vinyl 12" of The Power Of Love is superb.

Great album, I have read that the Blockheads were the actual players.

Certainly not to my knowledge. The idea that FGTH were little more than a Trevor Horn boy-band is just BS, they’d all been in bands previously and could certainly play well. Holly had been around since Big In Japan in the late-70s. Trevor Horn brought some polish and the then highly fashionable Fairlight CMI and Linn Drum, but the core existed long before they were signed. They were signed pretty quickly hence the number of cover versions on the album, but the singles certainly existed (Relax, Two Tribes etc).

I think Paul Simon's Graceland could be classed as a true great.

Many albums can be subjective, so I guess true great is the one that break through subjectivity no matter what you normally listen to...Graceland is one of those for me.

There seem to be many conflicting accounts, but there is no doubt the band had the fundamentals long before being signed by ZTT:

Very poor quality video, but it is the full unsigned Tube clip filmed at the State Ballroom in Liverpool in 1982 along with an interview. It is a) obvious they can play, and b) obvious they had what became the massive hit before even meeting Horn.

Even more proof here, an Nov ‘82 Peel session, they didn’t sign with ZTT until May 83! Listen how complete Two Tribes is, and how good the (real, not sampled) bass and drums are.

Depending on your POV, collecting ZTT is a f**king nightmare or a real adventure with all the different releases...

Depending on your POV, collecting ZTT is a f**king nightmare or a real adventure with all the different releases...

Indeed! Have you got the original 1A-1U matrix 16 minute 33rpm original cut of Relax? An amazing sounding record that just meanders around without ever getting to the pop single bit! I bought my first copy when it was first released (after hearing them on Peel). Later sold it for £60 back in the late ‘80s when that was a shed-load of cash, then found another on a market stall for a quid, sadly not mint, but still sounds great. To this day I still check the matrix of every copy of Relax I see in the £1 bins!

Indeed! Have you got the original 1A-1U matrix 16 minute 33rpm original cut of Relax? An amazing sounding record that just meanders around without ever getting to the pop single bit! I bought my first copy when it was first released (after hearing them on Peel). Later sold it for £60 back in the late ‘80s when that was a shed-load of cash, then found another on a market stall for a quid, sadly not mint, but still sounds great. To this day I still check the matrix of every copy of Relax I see in the £1 bins!

FGTH was not my favourite ZTT outfit. I tried to collect Propaganda, Act and AoN but I've fallen woefully short on anything approaching complete sets. Cassette singles, for example, are b*ggers to find.

I tried to collect Propaganda

What Dr Mabuse 12” singles have you found? I’ve struggled to turn up anything other than the one (A3U-1-2-1) mix despite finding (and selling) quite a few copies. My own copy is in the ‘Zeppelin’ sleeve, but every other copy I’ve ever seen has the same mix regardless of whether its in a Zeppelin, Hand or generic ZTT sleeve! It’s the same mix as (very badly) reproduced on the Anniversary CD too. I know different UK matrixes exist, I’ve just never seen or heard them!

What Dr Mabuse 12” singles have you found? I’ve struggled to turn up anything other than the one (A3U-1-2-1) mix despite finding (and selling) quite a few copies. My own copy is in the ‘Zeppelin’ sleeve, but every other copy I’ve ever seen has the same mix regardless of whether its in a Zeppelin, Hand or generic ZTT sleeve! It’s the same mix as (very badly) reproduced on the Anniversary CD too. I know different UK matrixes exist, I’ve just never seen or heard them!

I need to go and check what I have - I think I have one. Pretty poor really (maybe 'collect' was too strong a word :D) but for whatever reason, my usual hunting grounds never had much in the way of ZTT.

advertisement

Back