advertisement

Would like to get thoughts on a headphone amp/phono amp/DAC for desktop system

b-lilja

pfm Member
I'm anticipating returning to the office and want to change up my audio setup. Currently I use an NAD 7125 as a headphone amp and phono stage and it's, well, ok. I have been thinking about moving toward a more explicitly headphone amp type setup. I do have a Rega DAC sitting around so I could pull that into the system. Some options I've been thinking about:
The Music Hall PA2.2, which combines all three of the functions I've been looking at in one box (the only one as far as I can tell).
A Rega Ear and mini a2d phono stage. However, it looks like with this setup I'd have to switch between the phono and dac - a real hassle.
A Rega io - anyone tried one out for headphone usage? Seems like by far the best deal.
Also tempted by a Naim unitiqute, but I hear the headphone output isn't the greatest.

Any thoughts/ideas?

I also see now the Music Hall system does not include a DAC.

Also - any thoughts on the various Schiit products?

Could you share more about sources and budget.

The RME ADI-2 DAC FS could be a great solution. Brilliant DAC and excellent headphone stage. Includes parametric eq so you can tune for your preference with your headphones. The Pro version includes A2D stage as well.

Check out the review by John Darko. https://youtube.com/watch?v=WFJQIPymJGk

If you want to take it further I suggest getting in touch Keith at Purité Audio would be a good idea.

A Rega Ear and mini a2d phono stage. However, it looks like with this setup I'd have to switch between the phono and dac - a real hassle.

This bit I don't understand ... surely if you have the Rega DAC then switching isn't any more a hassle than any other solution?

I'm presuming you want to listen to vinyl + other digital sources in which case you plug the Mini A2D (via USB out) and your other digital sources into the DAC and then output from that into the Ear.

I have the Rega Mini and that's how I've use it - but maybe I'm missing something

The Rega DAC is great. That leaves you needing a headphone amp, a phono amp and a pre-amp.

If I were buying new on a modest budget, I might go: Rega Ear Headphone Amp (£199), Tisbury Domino Phono stage (£150) and Tisbury passive pre amp (£159).

If I was in your situation, I would build a kit around the Rega IO, hands down.
Sound will be more than good enough and resell value can only go up over time making it an good investment IMO.
Quality and service are sate of the art with this company as well.

I'm anticipating returning to the office and want to change up my audio setup. Currently I use an NAD 7125 as a headphone amp and phono stage and it's, well, ok. I have been thinking about moving toward a more explicitly headphone amp type setup. I do have a Rega DAC sitting around so I could pull that into the system. Some options I've been thinking about:
The Music Hall PA2.2, which combines all three of the functions I've been looking at in one box (the only one as far as I can tell).
A Rega io - anyone tried one out for headphone usage? Seems like by far the best deal.
Also tempted by a Naim unitiqute, but I hear the headphone output isn't the greatest.

Any thoughts/ideas?
Might be over budget, Novafidelity X35 and Mytek Brooklyn have all you want in a single box. Mytek are refreshing their range you might get a deal on the outgoing model.

https://www.scvdistribution.co.uk/category/music-streamers

https://mytek.audio/

You can get the NJC Audio triumvirate: headphone amp, DAC and phono pre-amp. The DAC has an analogue pass-through, so you connect the phono to the DAC and then the DAC to the headphone amp. The headphone amp can also function as a pre-amp if you want to plug into some active speakers or a small power amp. Everything is built in the UK using locally sourced components for long-term support. Also they all come with linear power supplies rather than making them a paid upgrade.

I have been salivating over it but I have a studio-oriented desktop setup which needs some other functionality.

Why would re-sell values go up?
It seems to me to be the next generation of the first version of the Naim Nait and the latest is worth a fortune nowadays.
It’s also convenient to many people, high quality and backed by one of the best service in the industry making it interesting on the second hand market, all IMO, of course.

advertisement

Back