advertisement

Rega Planar 6 sagging issues

You Yanks and your brand names for everything!:)

Rega describe the laminate as being HPL (High Pressure Laminate); 'exceptionally thin whilst extremely rigid'.

Doesn't sound like the classic Formica product, perhaps that is the point?

(hence the lower-case "f"...)

Thanks for the comment, I have never used a re it’s clamp on the turntable.
As for the the ‘whinge’ videos, they were purely the easiest place to upload them as I have a YouTube account, if they were whinge videos then I would’ve named them more constructively and actually put a comment against each one to make them more searchable! What does the place they are uploaded to determine if they are whinge videos or simply an easy way to link them to here!?

With comments like this I’m glad I bothered to join and share my issue, my aim being to try and gain as much info as possible and find out if this is a more widespread issue ready for my call back tomorrow with the service team. The results from this issue so far seem very different from case to case and country to country.
Sorry, a bit of a knee-jerk reaction on my part.

As you are a new member (welcome, btw), you may not be aware of how folk come on here and treat this place like it is Rega's service department waiting room. Trouble is, these airing of grievances bring out the worst in some others who have nothing better to do than to put their boot in.

Perhaps you've noticed, or heard someplace, that this particular site also has the privilege of being regularly graced by the virtual presence of Rega's own Paul Darwin, a man who should be granted sainthood during his lifetime. It certainly isn't a requirement of Paul's job to sort you out, he is simply a decent bloke who cares enough to want to help put things right and/or help steer customers in the right direction (not to YouTube, btw).

I've little doubt that Paul will be in touch soon.

Hi all, first post so go easy.
I’ve been searching the web as my P6 which I brought new just over three years ago from my ‘local’ dealer has a plinth that is sagging over time. It was perfectly straight when purchased but, has sagged / warped / dished over a period of time.

I’ve got a call back from Rega tomorrow as I’ve made a 2 hour round trip to my dealer to drop it off and it’s come back from Rega to say that it’s perfectly acceptable. I fail to understand how something that was straight upon manufacture but has later developed a sag is and can be acceptable? How long before it is outside the tolerance Rega allow and then what happens? It doesn’t appear that a lifetime warranty is all it’s made out to be.

This isn’t a dig at Rega, I’m just putting it out there to the doubters that there is a problem whereby plinths are deteriorating over a period of time and it’s certainly not Rega bashing from me.

This is my first turntable in over thirty years and I pushed myself financially to buy a P6 to avoid the ‘upgrade route’ I certainly wouldn’t of bothered if I had known this was / could be an issue which is a shame because it’s a fantastic table!

Here’s some videos I’ve uploaded of mine.

Hello, new Phishie!

It's not quite clear from the clips how big the sag is. What's your estimate of it from both sides to the center?

I have own several Regas and currently have two. I would think 3mm would be hard to tell and benign, 6mm will be visible but benign but for the MOST exacting setups, and beyond that maybe problematic.

Scotty94, how does your Planar 6 sound ? Nobody has yet asked that key question, has there been any deviation in its performance ? and whilst I think it important to wait for your Rega dealers observations a couple of things perhaps need to be understood.

There are multiple design philosophies and with that constraints on materials used for turntable design. We have widely used the light and rigid design principles to ensure that any energy is dissipated before it can enter the delicate replay system. Materials used are specifically selected for their propensity to deliver this and in the case of the Planar 6 it is a specially selected High Pressure laminate. We also employ a brace between key points on the turntable hub and arm base to ensure that the relationship between them is absolutely constant to the point that it well nigh negates any other factors or influences that the plinth could display.

Indeed in our higher turntables we use different materials to further reduce the plinth influence to an absolute minimum by designing and engineering out specific plinth parts to achieve a "skeletal" design which further negates any effect or contribution of the plinth.

It is important to note that our turntables can be and are used in situations from 1 to 100 humidity and -20 to plus 100 F so it is important that there is performance consistency in all operating conditions.

By definition, therefore, there are certain acceptable minor deviations in plinths without compromising performance in any way at all and we will wait until we have established whether yours satisfies our demanding and measurable criteria.

PD

Scotty94, I would also refer you to my previous reply on this thread, just in case you missed it:

We build turntables, we export to over 50 International markets, they could be used in temperatures of plus 50 degrees C to minus 50 degrees C, from zero to 95.3% humidity.

We have no control whatsoever over the operating conditions, nor the structural pressures put on them.

However, as a matter of course during our developmental processes we have measured any minute tolerances of the plinth using very sophisticated equipment costing thousands of pounds and found that flexitude of 1.6mm or less (i.e. 0.06" at plinth level) has no effect whatsoever on performance and is therefore considered to be within acceptable manufacturing tolerances and is completely and totally inaudible. Indeed, it is entirely possible that many cartridges could be installed with a greater magnitude of measurable alignment difference giving profoundly different and potentially far worse results.

It's funny but talking to a mate of mine who is a senior engineer at one of the local F1 teams (and a Planar 6 owner co-incidentally) he observed that they would kill to have consistent results of that kind with some of their parts during operational race conditions (i.e. temperature and humidity extremes)

Feeling a bit gaslit on Scotty’s behalf here. I think I would just give the man a replacement that wasn’t warped. Or refund what he’ll lose on resale, because the sales ad would definitely have to mention that the plinth wasn’t straight.

Feeling a bit gaslit on Scotty’s behalf here. I think I would just give the man a replacement that wasn’t warped. Or refund what he’ll lose on resale, because the sales ad would definitely have to mention that the plinth wasn’t straight.
That's unfair, sean.

As I see it, Rega seem to be shooting themself in the foot.
By not adressing this issue properly to their customers satisfaction, think damage reputation, TBH who buy new P6 after reading this WWW.?.

Bet the P6 are soon to be discontinued and maybe replaced, not with anything number #6.

That's unfair, sean.
I dunno, man just wants a record player that isn't bent. In the world of small differences and barely-real problems that is hi-fi forum-land, this seems like an unusually cut and dry issue. Dealer tells him it isn't a problem so he joins a forum to sense-check that and is told not only that it isn't a problem but that he's a dick for suggesting it might be. There's an obvious fault! He should just be given a new one.

Turn it over put your knee in the centre and give it a good hard pull from opposite corners - that's what I would do.

I suspect this matter would be best off between yourself and Rega privately (or via PM with Paul Darwin) rather than on an open forum until its resolved.
Thanks, that's is a great shout.
I have deleted my post (not that it was inflammatory) but I can still see it in your quote?

I've sent Paul a PM as it was a reply to his question / comment

I can assure everyone that we will resolve the issue to the complete satisfaction of Scotty94, we were not allowed to investigate and reply before you tube videos were downloaded and this forum discussion was instigated hence the slight time lag in our response.

I can assure everyone that we will resolve the issue to the complete satisfaction of Scotty94, we were not allowed to investigate and reply before you tube videos were downloaded and this forum discussion was instigated hence the slight time lag in our response.
Many thanks for your time and help Paul.

Hello, new Phishie!

It's not quite clear from the clips how big the sag is. What's your estimate of it from both sides to the center?

I have own several Regas and currently have two. I would think 3mm would be hard to tell and benign, 6mm will be visible but benign but for the MOST exacting setups, and beyond that maybe problematic.

Rega sell 2mm tonearm spacers. Having thus determined that a 2mm adjustment of arm height is considered significant by the manufacturer, I would think the acceptable threshold for deviation from flat for the plinth should be less than 2mm.

advertisement

Back