advertisement

Line magnetic?

One of the few Chinese Valve amplifier brands I would buy. A audio friend owns the 518 IA and it is of a good quality. Also the pp amps are good. To me not comparable to the stuff like Yaquin oder lower Cayin models.

From what I can tell, they don't seem to make any true 230v versions. I think others here have pointed out this can be problematic.

From what I can tell, they don't seem to make any true 230v versions. I think others here have pointed out this can be problematic.

Are you sure about this? Didn't hear of any such issue and the local importer here is selling lots of these.

EU/UK full spec export versions have warranty and very different to the ones on ebay etc
Best chinese kit i have heard Bigger classic western electric/Jensen stuff are superb
& they used brand new versions they built of EMT idlers/direct turntable & Technics RS1700 R2R as sources

165113064_283767373113078_37259185663391758_n.jpg

8d6d3d0e-e830-4097-ad24-ea93d5d9b709.jpg

my interest was stirred when a pal asked me to suggest an amp for his Falcon LS3/5as and was trolling through Stereophile and saw the combo enthused over.
They sound well made and engineered so just was wondering what experience people have. Ta for the above.

518ia was the best amp I’ve owned and I plan to get another once my kids are old enough to respect the threat of burned fingers.

Are you sure about this? Didn't hear of any such issue and the local importer here is selling lots of these.

No I'm not sure tbh, presumably they're fit for purpose so.
Be careful with this, I have first hand experience of this. If they are not designed for UK voltage, which is only nominally 230, more typically 240 and can rise to 253 on occasion, they will run hot. A tranny amp is stepped down, so it is more tolerant. A valve is less so. Are they fit for use? Well, they work. But they will fail. A 240V primary transformer will cost £90, a buck/boost less. Both require competent installation. Once installed, the thing will run perfectly. My Yaqin has this, I will put it up against any EL34 valve amp.

Don't be fooled by the reviews. One of my contacts in German was the European service agent for LM and he said there are a lot of design issues with this equipment. Not sure why people are so keen to buy Chinese made electronics when not even the Chinese buy it...

At the end of the day you only get what you pay for...

Don't be fooled by the reviews. One of my contacts in German was the European service agent for LM and he said there are a lot of design issues with this equipment. Not sure why people are so keen to buy Chinese made electronics when not even the Chinese buy it...

Aren’t most electronics Chinese-made at the moment? Phone I’m typing on is, seems fine.

Any idea what the design issues are?

This smacks of xenophobia.

Why not furnish us with the evidence? Who is your supposed contact?

Aren’t most electronics Chinese-made at the moment? Phone I’m typing on is, seems fine.

Your phone isn't using high voltage circuitry and it doesn't have high quality audio transformers inside, which a good valve amplifier will have. The iron used in most Chinese amps is very poor quality and there is very little expertise in knowing how to make a good audio transformer, as well as designing a good circuit. These are just a couple of things that are important which very few would even consider, or know about for that matter. Most are just copies of what was made in the 1950s and 60s from GB and the USA.

I rthink you'd do well to read about the 2 brothers who created Line M and their story. None of it sounds like what you are saying. You sound a tad like a guy who makes valve amps that are not selling and cost a lot more than their far east competitiors. If that's not you then sry, but it's how you come across to me.

This smacks of xenophobia.

Why not furnish us with the evidence? Who is your supposed contact?

Just many years of experience being asked to repair a lot of that equipment.

What really surprises me is people even thinking of buying anything from a country known for blatantly copying other manufacturers products with complete impunity. We are also experiencing the worse worldwide epidemic in over 100 years that has killed many millions of people. It came from China and they have not so much as even apologised. In fact they initially tried to hide and conceal it. The world will never be the same again. Here and in many other countries it will take decades to recover financially. I look at everything today to see where it is made. If it comes from China I don't buy it. Also, don't be surprised about an imminent military conflict over Taiwan. China is building a vast military presence to invade. Australia and the US are preparing to help Taiwan. The UK are sending a small fleet out to the south China sea just in case...

You sound a tad like a guy who makes valve amps that are not selling and cost a lot more than their far east competitiors.

You might just as well suggest that LM are competing with Krell, or any other upmarket brand. Sorry, that is a comment that makes no sense whatsoever.

In terms of online commentary being any evidence of anything is also niave in the extreme.

It came from China and they have not so much as even apologised.

Another totally crackers comment.

The HUGE majority of introductions of C19 into the UK came from Italy, where they went to any length to hide it - I haven't heard them saying much.

If it comes from China I don't buy it.

You'll not be buying much apart from food and drink then, even if it is just down to component parts.

I rthink you'd do well to read about the 2 brothers who created Line M and their story. None of it sounds like what you are saying. You sound a tad like a guy who makes valve amps that are not selling and cost a lot more than their far east competitiors. If that's not you then sry, but it's how you come across to me.

FWIW, I have been working 16 hour days 7 days a week for over 1 year now building quality amplifiers for appreciative clients during lock down. People buy my electronics because it is well designed, well made, using very high quality parts from the UK, the EU, Japan and the USA. Each product is hand made individually for each client by the designer, and it will last a life time. No one in China, or most other countries offers the same service so...

advertisement

Back