advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

Urgh. Only had a catheter put in once, post op from hip replacement as I couldn’t pee. Out was slightly worse than in.

From (very distant) memory the catheter can be capped and a prophylactic application applied (i.e. a sheath...)

Bit of research and it still a viable option 30 years after I knew about it.

https://healthtalk.org/living-urinary-catheter/sex-and-intimate-relationships
yes read that research but I don't think it's possible at all to have intercourse with one of them on . It's uncomfortable for the chap and God help a women having that inside them !!! I would love to meet someone who has tried it !!!!!

Wonderful article tho big tabs , actually not seen it before as I thought . Many many folks have to have catheters especially if paralysed or atomic bladder as mentioned. It's a big issue with multiple sclerosis and cauda equina ( paralysis after a fall on tail bone) . Suprapubic definitely best option if you want to keep up relationships and can have them for years with few problems . Can be capped off so bladder can function normally

reply above.

brilliantly put . so much better to self catherise than have an indwelling one that can get infection . some folks sind silver catheters changed monthly supra pubicly are good [ through your abdomen ] . of course the supra pubic means a bit of hanky panky can still occur which is a bonus as its a total NO NO with a catheter in your willy !!

Absolutely!..I was rarely without an infection when I had an indwelling catheter...not helped by having to take immune suppressants for rheumatoid arthritis. Only had one infection since I began self catheterising 6 or more years ago.

Wonderful article tho big tabs , actually not seen it before as I thought . Many many folks have to have catheters especially if paralysed or atomic bladder as mentioned. It's a big issue with multiple sclerosis and cauda equina ( paralysis after a fall on tail bone) . Suprapubic definitely best option if you want to keep up relationships and can have them for years with few problems . Can be capped off so bladder can function normally

I know of one possible problem with self catheterising - apparently it can damage the bladder in time which can insite growths to form. My urologist wanted me to have a cystoscopy to check for these a year back but the pandemic put a stop to that.

Thanks for taking the time Seagull - I dont currently have any issues.... but it is concerning me. I've stayed away so as not to add to the NHS burden.... but I think the tmie is now here.
Hi Darren
Don’t put it off any longer, you need a PSA and a DRE (digital rectal examination aka finger up the bum)
We have discussed before on PFM the benefits and problems with screening the male population for prostate cancer but with a family history you are two and a half times more likely to develop prostate cancer. This may be even worse if a close female relative has had breast cancer
One in eight men will develop prostate cancer in their lifetime, one in four black men.
The incidence rises with age and you will very often hear that most men die with their prostate cancer than from their prostate cancer.
Note well.... MOST!
Go get tested

Hi Darren
Don’t put it off any longer, you need a PSA and a DRE (digital rectal examination aka finger up the bum)
We have discussed before on PFM the benefits and problems with screening the male population for prostate cancer but with a family history you are two and a half times more likely to develop prostate cancer. This may be even worse if a close female relative has had breast cancer
One in eight men will develop prostate cancer in their lifetime, one in four black men.
The incidence rises with age and you will very often hear that most men die with their prostate cancer than from their prostate cancer.
Note well.... MOST!
Go get tested
Thanks Doc. Will do!

My son's friends mother died last week, she was early forties, no illness as far as I know, she just went into hospital complaining of midsection pain and died hours later.

Life is like a minefield, you're doing well so far, enjoy.
Almost happened to me about 7 years ago, vomiting all over the place and crawling around in pain, rushed in and after some hours diagnosed with loss of blood flow to intestine caused by adhesion of scar tissue from appendicitis operation about 50 years previously. Operation imperative! Half a metre of intestine removed and doing pretty good now apart from bile acid malabsorption and associated problems.
Look out for this one if you had an abdominal procedure as a youngster.

I owe a lot of people flowers.

Best left at that.
But you always left them your number, right? That's nice.

This thread is reminding me that life is like sex: you never know how long it will last or how good it's going to be, so you'd better make the best of it while you have the chance. Also, like sex, you don't know when or if you will get another go.

This thread is reminding me that life is like sex: you never know how long it will last or how good it's going to be, so you'd better make the best of it while you have the chance. Also, like sex, you don't know when or if you will get another go.

Speak for yourself.

Very happily married, one of my better choices in life.

;)

Look out for this one if you had an abdominal procedure as a youngster.

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you dodged a bullet there.

I'll look out for this one as I had an abdominal procedure as a youngster.

Any warning signs or do you just keel over ?

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you dodged a bullet there.

I'll look out for this one as I had an abdominal procedure as a youngster.

Any warning signs or do you just keel over ?

It seemed quite sudden, just one day of pain and vomiting culminating in an ambulance trip around midnight. I did have frequent occurrences of what I thought was painful trapped wind at night for years beforehand which I imagine could have been related, but who knows. I don’t get them now.

You lot who has turned 72 has at least beaten my Dad, he only made 71.

I'm 63 myself, working on at least 83.

advertisement

Back