advertisement

Transformer for NCC220

Go on Jez just tell the man which one you would use and from where?
For a NCC220 monoblock and stereo setup?

Go on Jez just tell the man which one you would use and from where?
For a NCC220 monoblock and stereo setup?

FWIW... Any transformer of any make, EI or toroidal, of the correct voltage and at least 150VA for monoblock and 300VA for stereo. For my own use I would go as low as around 80VA mono and 150VA stereo as I don't listen to 100W RMS sine waves and the power comes from the smoothing capacitors for 80%+ of the time anyway.

Yes Mega lord all transformers sound the same. I LMAO at people discussing the sound of them!

Jez, just buy a load of transformers, take them to Stonehenge at a solstice put a black and silver label saying “audio grade field transfer technology” and charge a fortune for them, job done.

Probably not worth posting my opinions on the effect that mains transformers have on sound because irrespective of if it's right or wrong, there is no point whatsoever in stating an opinion on here that does not agree with Arkless.

Last edited:
just had a conversation with Tiger Toroids

very helpful indeed and great to have a transformer made exactly to my mains voltage (249/250Vac)

seem to know their stuff as supplier to Rega

as price seemed good ordered from them

Probably not worth posting my pinions on the effect that mains transformers have on sound because irrespective of if it's right or wrong, there is no point whatsoever in stating an opinion on here that does not agree with Arkless.

Posting that transformers sound different is as permanently wrong, and no room for opinion, as posting that the Earth is actually flat and you could fall off the end. It's that black and white, that simple, that obvious.

Posting that transformers sound different is as permanently wrong, and no room for opinion, as posting that the Earth is actually flat and you could fall off the end. It's that black and white, that simple, that obvious.

Thanks for proving my point.

Reactions: jpk
£110 for a pair of 300VA with 35-0-35 custom made with ability to run from 240v or extra windings to run at 250V fully shielded

That seems very good value to me for UK-made , custom winds- and nice to have the options on the windings: if you move, or sell-on, its future-proofed and can be set appropriately. Thanks for the update.

yebbut... nicer transformers are nicer transformers...

(for certain dimensions of 'nicer'. Wish I knew what those really are, reliably... esp, 'predictably' ...)

I must re-read all that stuff in all my electronics books, including the ones specifically about audio, and remind myself about all the ways that similar transformers of different brands, some toroidal, some EI can sound different.... Oh hang on.... I can't 'cos it's not a thing and no one but S-Man and 3 other people have ever said it!:D:rolleyes::)

I was only looking to reduce the hum, buzzing, or general unwanted noise.

not looking to open a can of worms lol

after speaking with Tiger I am happy that a custom made unit should do the job and the price was pretty good.

will know when I get them I guess apologies if I have opened an unwanted debate

I was only looking to reduce the hum, buzzing, or general unwanted noise.

not looking to open a can of worms lol

after speaking with Tiger I am happy that a custom made unit should do the job and the price was pretty good.

will know when I get them I guess apologies if I have opened an unwanted debate

Ah now a can of worms is just what you need for a good earth! :D I wouldn't take S-man and me trolling each other about mains transformers too seriously... It's just a stereo ... (but I'm right of course:p)...

advertisement

Back