advertisement

Denim Fancy Pants

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
I have been subsisting on badly fitting £18-a-pair straight leg indigo jeans from Next that last about 4 months before disintegrating in the fantasy that I will one day return to a 30" waist. However, I have now faced reality and recognised that my jean size appears to have stabilised and I want some decent kecks again.

I notice that a whole industry of men with beards making expensive jeans in places like Hebden Bridge appears to have sprung up over the last 10 years and, whilst I'm not averse to spending good money on a pair of trousers, I want them to last if I so.

So, are the likes of Hebtroco et al worth spending money on, or should I just buy a good pair of Wranglers?

Buy jeans that fit, sod the label. 501s are too skinny in the leg. Years ago, on holiday in America, I got some Levi's in a baggy fit, were they 557 or similar? Loved them. Never seen them in the UK, probably a good thing as they will be somewhat more expensive than my usual chainstore tat that gets oil stains every time I go in the garage.

Must admit I like the idea of hebtro.co and joe and co. They’re not cheap though. I’ve started buying Edwin, a bit dearer than Next etc and they do seem to wear well. If the denim is heavier in theory it should last longer, might be too heavy for summer though. I was hoping to go over to collect some canvas boots from Joe and co, but their opening times and my working times are incompatible. I planned to have a look at their jeans and see whether it was worth spaffing for a pair. Sometimes you see them on eBay. Not heard good things about nudie jeans, allegedly the crotches are fragile. Hiut look interesting as well. I hate loose fitting ones though, I have a fear of looking like Jeremy Clarkson.

I have a pair from Spokes (online only). They are not cheap but they they actually fit. Regular jeans of pretty well every high street maker make me look as I have a baggy back end - these don't.

But.. in other news, baggier jeans are having a moment. My 21 yr old twin girls are now walking around in flares! (still with £200+ trainers mind you)

I've always had issues with jeans

6ft 4, 32"ish thighs and a fat arse :D

Forge, Slaters own brand fit me well. As do some Wranglers straight cut jeans. Sourced mine via Amazon of all places. 7 day trial to see if they fit and send them back; no cost etc :)

I swapped from Carharrt to Howies about ten years ago - first pairs still going strong.

Most men?

havent worn jeans for over a year now. Mostly indoors i wear shorts all year round - if outdoors tracksuit, in fact last weeks trips to sit outdoors to the pub were in shorts. Few occasions i have been to campus recently it has been in tracksuit bottoms...

Must admit I like the idea of hebtro.co and joe and co. They’re not cheap though. I’ve started buying Edwin, a bit dearer than Next etc and they do seem to wear well. If the denim is heavier in theory it should last longer, might be too heavy for summer though. I was hoping to go over to collect some canvas boots from Joe and co, but their opening times and my working times are incompatible. I planned to have a look at their jeans and see whether it was worth spaffing for a pair. Sometimes you see them on eBay. Not heard good things about nudie jeans, allegedly the crotches are fragile. Hiut look interesting as well. I hate loose fitting ones though, I have a fear of looking like Jeremy Clarkson.
Once you reach 40 it’s inevitable if you wear jeans.

get yourself to rivet & hide....or Brave Star, good quality/value but their fitting doesn't work for me

GAP 1969, affordable selvedge denim, standard straight leg fit are pretty good.
EDWIN , overpriced
Eat Dust, overpriced
HEBTROCO, disclaimer, I know Eddie pretty well, through bikes and the club, good jeans, actually MADE in the UK, like all his stuff, the moleskin trousers are nice too. Price wise I don't think they're too bad but then my jeans last on average about 10 years.
Levis still make some nice jeans, lots of fits available rather than 501, though the selvedge denim jeans are every bit as pricey as the boutique brands.
I tend to wear either work trousers, overalls (mostly)
track suit bottoms or shorts once the temperature goes up a bit.
I think once you get to a certain age or adopt the middle aged spread that good fitting jeans are a bit more difficult to find, I guess that's why so many older gents wear chinos and cords.

Just had a look at Howies as I am thinking about buying jeans. Put off by button flies though. Cant be arsed.

well the op is a man and most men that I see daily wear shorts so what’s your problem?
I think if you'd said 'most men I see' rather than 'most men', there wouldn't have been a problem.

Shorts are still in the minority here (North West) and I've not gone into them yet for the summer, and still wear long trousers when actually at work (though not if WFH).

advertisement

Back