advertisement

Best LP version of Blondie Parallel Lines

As well as my very well worn original copy, I've got the 2015 Back To Black pressing, it sounds very good to my ears!

Thanks for this. I'd be interested in @florette69 views on this as he seems to be an avid collector!

The EMI 100 is probably my least favourite vinyl version! Sonically little different from late '70s pressings, but poorer artwork and noisier vinyl. I can't believe people pay almost ten times the price of standard pressings for that.

And for what it's worth, I'll reassert that original cheapo Chrysalis pressings are more enjoyable than the MFSL. The latter is a softer, smoother presentation on fabulously quiet vinyl, but really it lacks the excitement heard on the original wax. Ditto for the DCC CD. The recording really seems ill-suited to audiophile makeovers.

Just had a quick listen to a couple of tracks on mine, which is a very nice tidy A4/B3 UK copy. It doesn’t sound bad, just dull, like it’s a third-generation tape or something. I don’t think there is much of anything above about 4kHz, very little top end to the drums, Harry’s voice sounds blunt, like a SM58 or whatever, though bizarrely the backing vocals sound better than the lead (e.g. Hanging On The Telephone). Out of curiosity I stuck the first track of Plastic Letters on straight afterwards (again a UK //4) and that sounded way more punchy, though still not great. As it is an American band and American recording it may well be that the US 1st press is the one to own. I’ve never heard one, but 1st press from country of artist origin is usually the bar to jump.
I've got a UK press of Plastic Letters which is a A//3 B//4 cut by George Peckham. Sounds amazing. Always preferred it to Parallel Lines.

Playing my old U.K. 1978 copy, with card B&W lyrics inner, A4/B4 matrices. Cymbal crashes are back, vocals very forward. Kick drum is reserved. Hi-Hat pings present. Nowt special. Not the quietest of pressings. Heart of Glass sounds okay.

If I was sticking a copy in the charity shop, about a fiver at least, unless poor condition.

advertisement

Back