advertisement

Entry level Transfiguration cartridges: Spirit III, Axia S, Aria?

I'll be very curious as to your observations. I sent my Lyra Skala to Soundsmith for a rebuild and it is quite distinctly NOT the same cartridge. Going from the original boron to a ruby cantilever really changed the nature of the cartridge - while it's not bad per se, it has nowhere near the transparency, speed or dynamic snap so typical of Lyras. That said, I've heard both excellent and poor examples of Soundsmith rebuilds - I hope yours falls into the former camp.

I'll be very curious as to your observations. I sent my Lyra Skala to Soundsmith for a rebuild and it is quite distinctly NOT the same cartridge. Going from the original boron to a ruby cantilever really changed the nature of the cartridge - while it's not bad per se, it has nowhere near the transparency, speed or dynamic snap so typical of Lyras. That said, I've heard both excellent and poor examples of Soundsmith rebuilds - I hope yours falls into the former camp.
It's an experiment to see if Transfiguration can be rebuilt. But I have only Axia S to compare it to.

I had this reply yesterday from Ana Might Sound regarding rebuilding my Proteus.

“Dear Christopher,
The evolution of the Transfiguration Proteus were of two kind :
- new damper
- higher priced version with diamond cantilever
We can provide you with the new damping system but we cannot provide you a diamond cantilever.
Transfiguration is alas out of business as the owner died last year. We do offer Mutech cartridges which are in fact the original manufacturer of Transfiguration cartridges.
Price for a full repair of your cartridge with original parts + damper mode is 1450€ VAT in. “

I’ll be sending mine off soon once I’ve worked out the best way to send it with some sort of insurance, what value is there on a worn out proteus? I paid £3k when it was new so my guess is about a grand but LaPoste might need more than my say so.

To give some perspective to the costs involved in retipping a cartridge, one or two years I was quoted a little less that €1000 to have my cantileverless Benz Micro Gullwing SLR retipped (new cantilever and diamond tip) by Benz themselves.

I’ll be sending mine off soon once I’ve worked out the best way to send it with some sort of insurance, what value is there on a worn out proteus? I paid £3k when it was new so my guess is about a grand but LaPoste might need more than my say so.

They asked me to put a nominal value on it. The work is done in Hungary so you don't send it to them in France.

Ok. I found and bought a Decca Gold in a wooden house with three prongs. Will see how well I like it and whether it needs tender care or not.

If it is no better or different to me than the Maroon I already have, I am open for a swap with a Transfiguration if they can be found in good used (original?) condition.

tB6GdwE.jpg

3v41xEf.jpg

I have never heard a DECCA. It seems they have a very special sound.

My Soundsmith rebuild of Phoenix is definitely a very good. I am waiting on a Funk Achromat as my previous Grubgebuster mat was a little thin and VTA on the Phoenix was a little off (Rega P9).

First impression is that's it's very refined and "in-family" with Axia S. Further mat refinements and more critical listening will tell me more. It may be that a retip will bring some large fraction of the original sound, but not all (and I don't have the knowledge of the cartridge's original sound).

Transfiguration and I think, Lyra,, have exclusive rights to maybe the best stylus available - rectangular shank hyper-hyper elliptical Ogura.

Transfiguration and I think, Lyra,, have exclusive rights to maybe the best stylus available - rectangular shank hyper-hyper elliptical Ogura.

I didn't know that, Dimitry, whatever it means. :D. Okay, I've hears of the Ogura profile, but with Transfig. gone, exclusivity is further narrowed; possibly to 'unique'? ;)

Ok. I found and bought a Decca Gold in a wooden house with three prongs

Interesting, Peter, esp. as you've already sampled a Decca. I do believe the Maroon is lower down in the pecking order, though, and as I've had an itch to try another (my one and only London or C4E; can't remember, was in 1975 on Decca unipivot) on my Ace Anna before I sort out my arm/cart. situation, if I ever get round to it. That Gold, with 3 pins, must be of some vintage.

I didn't know that, Dimitry, whatever it means. :D. Okay, I've hears of the Ogura profile, but with Transfig. gone, exclusivity is further narrowed; possibly to 'unique'? ;)
Apparently, it is made from a rectangular, instead of square shank diamond and is supposed to have the lowest mass in the business.

Ogura makes a unique shape, a highly biased elliptical, with an edge the same as the best MR and ML shapes. But being an eliptical, it's likely easier to setup.

I had this reply yesterday from Ana Might Sound regarding rebuilding my Proteus.

“Dear Christopher,
The evolution of the Transfiguration Proteus were of two kind :
- new damper
- higher priced version with diamond cantilever
We can provide you with the new damping system but we cannot provide you a diamond cantilever.
Transfiguration is alas out of business as the owner died last year. We do offer Mutech cartridges which are in fact the original manufacturer of Transfiguration cartridges.
Price for a full repair of your cartridge with original parts + damper mode is 1450€ VAT in. “

I have dealt with Ana Mighty sound, they are expensive but good, I had a Lyra which I sent to a repairer in Surrey and It did not sound anything like the original, when I sent my Lyra Titan i to Francois at AMS they did a fantastic job. In my opinion if you cannot buy new they provide the most sensible option.

Only downside is that I believe that LaPoste are linked to Dpd who are good for delivery but highly suspect with insurance conditions

Yes Mike. I have found that I can dial a Decca in pretty good on the Fidelity Research FR 24 tonearm - no use of antiskate, so I am not afraid of Decca carts.

I had just sold my DIY Emerald phono stage to a friend and had a little cash. As this thread indicates, I was first looking at lower end Transfiguration cartridges but on the basis of the posts here, I became wary of buying a rebuilt one. Then I just checked for my usual suspects - EMT, Ortofon (Kontrapunkt B) and Decca carts. This Decca Gold had been advertised for sale both on Marktplaatz and Audio-Markt for a good price. I checked the seller out, got his address and phone number, and decided to go for it. It came well-wrapped without its box but protected by the red cover over the bottom of the cartridge.

I will have to see how I deal with the three prongs with my four cables ...

Last edited:
I will have to see how I deal with the three prongs with my four cables ...

Ah, yes; common ground; you might get away with simply attaching one ground but you may get a hum, depending on arm wiring. Otherwise you'll need to connect the two ground wires somehow; maybe with fuse wire or similar, sufficient to allow enough connector to go over the pin. Tricky !

Ok, I will have to build a solid cast iron arm for my Poul Ladegaard, then.

If you work through the maths, you would not have to add much weight at the headshell. Changing effective mass was a feature of a few older tonearms and still is with at least one Brinkmann? Thales? - I forget which.

I got hummm and no sound from the Decca Gold when using three pins and three leads.

Hmm. Took the Decca out of its wooden pod and its top has been removed - see photos. I have no way to tell if it is a Gold or not. I will clean the connections and play with the headshell wires - one or two to ground etc. - but if I can't tame the hum, I will send it over to John Wright for a service. It looks like it could do with some TLC anyway.
Dvig9DQ.jpg

UweF0wq.jpg

advertisement

Back