advertisement

Ewa amplifier 'house sound'?

steveinspain

pfm Member
I am a happy ewa amp owner but was asked recently what it sounds like compared to other amps and struggled to answer as my experience is fairly limited (Avondale, March Audio, Naim)
So, if anyone here owns or has heard any of Colin’s amps, how would you describe the sound?
Thanks!

Chunky, clear and fast.
I like that. I said dynamic, easy to listen to and involving.
Any further ideas anyone?
The reason I'm asking is that I'll be selling my Q20 soon and want to be able to give an idea of how it sounds, so thanks for any help!

You need to have a listen to some of the classic class A transistor amps and contrast to those. How does it compare to a KSA-50? Maybe get a listen to a few of the Pass designs and then you'll know where you stand. A lot of people know what an F5 or an Aleph amp sounds like. I'd be interested in reading how Colin has voiced his amps away from an Aleph 3 or J, which should (in theory) have a similar sound.

Hi Dan K and Steve, No they sound slow in comparison , on this forum a review of the M100 and a big big brother of the Q20 and M50 was compared with a Krell.

Interesting post Steve ;-)
@CJ14 all your amps whatever the figure have the same sound signature? My question sounds silly, if they share the same architecture.
What I've learned with Pass (DIY, F5, F5T and ACA), the less power the more transparent.

'Faster'. Is that it?

I (and I think the rest of PFM) would like more detail

The Aleph 3 that I have is not slow, not at all. Into Snell J's it's very fast and really has no faults. Into Avalon Ascendants it's just a tad slower, but almost nothing in it.

I love the Aleph, but sadly my Bedini 25/25 kicks it into the weeds. It has a more realistic bass timbre and a more open midrange (maybe there are some deliberate even order harmonics in there). The Aleph 3 is very slightly quieter, but maybe has a bit more 'kick'...maybe.

I have still not heard a Pass design that could better a JB amp.

Perhaps your's can?

Last edited:
Interesting post Steve ;-)
@CJ14 all your amps whatever the figure have the same sound signature? My question sounds silly, if they share the same architecture.
What I've learned with Pass (DIY, F5, F5T and ACA), the less power the more transparent.

Agree, until you get into balanced/ noise cancelling designs and designers who match components to 6 decimal places etc. This = £££

You need to have a listen to some of the classic class A transistor amps and contrast to those. How does it compare to a KSA-50? Maybe get a listen to a few of the Pass designs and then you'll know where you stand. A lot of people know what an F5 or an Aleph amp sounds like. I'd be interested in reading how Colin has voiced his amps away from an Aleph 3 or J, which should (in theory) have a similar sound.
Easier said than done Dan at least for me and in particular now..!

Agree, until you get into balanced/ noise cancelling designs and designers who match components to 6 decimal places etc. This = £££

Are you sure I do not, I have been doing it for a few year now, and designing much much more complex devices longer still, so no assumptions please. I just do not charge silly prices for bog standard designs that in most cases have been ripped of or copied and changed a bit like many have done before and with my designs also.. It also would be very wrong of me to give my perception of the sound as this could be classed as snake oil, car salesmanship, or time share salesmen.
And I am a firm believer of KISS.
Lets face it EWA does not pay for very expensive mag adverts we do not have a middle man anywhere, we drive cheap second hand cars (not Mercs), we try to give you value so like us you can enjoy what you love "The Music"

Appologies Colin, I didn't mean any criticism at all. Just an abstract statement, not meant to be taken personally.

Snell speakers and Croft amps would be obvious examples of matching cheaper components to ever closer levels from stocks of 1000's and as a result achieving results far beyond their equipment's price point.

Glad to hear that's your philosophy too.

A house sound? Sounds nice in my house.

Good with house, and garage too for that matter.

I would describe the sound as mellifluous, demure and butterscotchy, with a nose of petrichor.

Happy to help! :p

Thanks for all the replies. Never heard an amp being described as sounding butterscotchy and don't even know what petrichor is...
I have to hope that a potential buyer of my amp is wiser and more worldly than I!

advertisement

Back