advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

If clubs can generate steady / clean revenue from viewings rather than underbelly gotten gains by their owners other operations - I am all for that.

What on Earth makes you think that this would happen?

I wasn't just talking about Chelsea, but if you are routinely outside the top 4 or outside the relegation zone, you are mid-table.

Chelsea finishing league position prior to Abramovich, only 2 strong seasons. Also bear in mind back then, only Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool were the closely competitive at the time.

2001/2002 Premiership 6
2000/2001 Premiership 6
1999/2000 Premiership 5
1998/1999 Premiership 3
1997/1998 Premiership 4
1996/1997 Premiership 6
1995/1996 Premiership 11
1994/1995 Premiership 11
1993/1994 Premiership 14
1992/1993 Premier League 11
You really don't want to be trying to teach a supporter of 55 years about the history of his club.o_O

I note that you've conveniently ommitted season 2002/3 a year in which Chelsea finished 4th!
This means that in the 7 seasons directly preceding RA Chelsea didn't finish outside the top 6 - mid-table my ar*e.:)

Also during that same 7 year period Chelsea won the FA Cup twice, the League Cup once, the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once & the UEFA Super Cup once.
Not to mention reaching the last 8 of the Champions League in 2000!

I think there's a few fans of 'mid-table clubs' who would bite your hand off for that lot.:rolleyes:

The other issue is profiteering. Big business has realised that profits can be extracted from a (only) relatively small number of teams, hence the drive to ever increase the cash flow to these sides. The current (almost farcical) financial fair play rules are to be ripped up because of covid but I'm not hopeful that anything sensible will emerge there's just too much vested interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...play-rules-to-be-ripped-up-after-covid-crisis
Unfortunately it's all about business. It's pervasive everywhere. One of the most annoying things I've come acrosss recently is on US sport pages that say something like, "Joe Footballer, a 'product' of USC, has decided to.....". Denigrating athletes to a 'product' just winds the **** out of me! They are people FFS.

We also have to remember that the Champion's League began to widen the gap between those that had qualified and those that had not, giving them an extra £60m a year and access to the best players. Without investment to bridge the gap, it became nigh on impossible for others to win the league other than United and Arsenal.
The CL wanted to create a new closed shop which would have done the same and, again, it was led by the same clubs - the same ones who were very keen to write to Uefa about FFP who actually wanted to maintain the status quo, for reasons that are definitely not sporting.

It appears the big driver in the collapse was the pulling of commercial deals by sponsors. All about money.

I think we probably will end up with some kind of breakaway league in the near future. All this bleating does start to grate though as the game has lost its roots many years ago.

Safe(ish) with 3 straight wins, including two away. Fabulous! What a feat to stay in the Championship and finish mid-table (very hopefully) and all on the 2nd lowest budget in the division, groundsharing at St Andrews, and with all the injuries. Stoke 2 Coventry 3. Great game - took the lead three times.

Robins has done an amazing job at Coventry. Still think the better surface at St Andrews has helped with the way Coventry. That rugby pitch at the Ricoh arena can't be great to play on.

Robins has done an amazing job at Coventry. Still think the better surface at St Andrews has helped with the way Coventry. That rugby pitch at the Ricoh arena can't be great to play on.

The Ricoh was dreadful, hopefully they are going to improve it for the triumphant return (Wasps realise that they need the income). Birmingham was pretty shocking this season as they missed out on the summer maintenance work through covid - it was a real old fashioned mud bath during the winter, but otherwise it's a smashing ground and a lovely big pitch. Always reminds me of Jasper Carrott

The Ricoh was dreadful, hopefully they are going to improve it for the triumphant return (Wasps realise that they need the income). Birmingham was pretty shocking this season as they missed out on the summer maintenance work through covid - it was a real old fashioned mud bath during the winter.

Still think they were mad to leave Highfield road!

You really don't want to be trying to teach a supporter of 55 years about the history of his club.o_O

I note that you've conveniently ommitted season 2002/3 a year in which Chelsea finished 4th!
This means that in the 7 seasons directly preceding RA Chelsea didn't finish outside the top 6 - mid-table my ar*e.:)

Also during that same 7 year period Chelsea won the FA Cup twice, the League Cup once, the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once & the UEFA Super Cup once.
Not to mention reaching the last 8 of the Champions League in 2000!

I think there's a few fans of 'mid-table clubs' who would bite your hand off for that lot.:rolleyes:

Huh? Only 2 of those 11 years Chelsea finished 4th or better. Even if we plug the 2002/2003 season in which was just around RA took over, that's only on 3 occasions you reached the top 4 out of 12 attempts. And 4 of those 12 seasons Chelsea finished at the bottom half of the table. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool consistently stayed well above that on their worst PL seasons.

FA cups and League cups are within reach of any average or slightly above average PL side. Chelsea before the buyout had all the makings of that profile, so did Tottenham, Leicester, Everton etc

Face the facts, to compete consistently in the modern game you need money and investment, Chelsea have been living proof of that in the EPL.

Face the facts
The facts are that RA took over in June 2003 so you're not doing me any favours by including what happened the season before.
If you want a correct definition of mid-table look no further than your Arsenal team languishing in 9th position on goal difference and scrapping it out in the Thursday league.;)
Plenty of money and investment at your club but precious little to show for it.

Huh? Only 2 of those 11 years Chelsea finished 4th or better. Even if we plug the 2002/2003 season in which was just around RA took over, that's only on 3 occasions you reached the top 4 out of 12 attempts. And 4 of those 12 seasons Chelsea finished at the bottom half of the table. Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool consistently stayed well above that on their worst PL seasons.

FA cups and League cups are within reach of any average or slightly above average PL side. Chelsea before the buyout had all the makings of that profile, so did Tottenham, Leicester, Everton etc

Face the facts, to compete consistently in the modern game you need money and investment, Chelsea have been living proof of that in the EPL.
Which is why only 4 premier league teams have British owners.

The facts are that RA took over in June 2003 so you're not doing me any favours by including what happened the season before.
If you want a correct definition of mid-table look no further than your Arsenal team languishing in 9th position on goal difference and scrapping it out in the Thursday league.;)
Plenty of money and investment at your club but precious little to show for it.

Arsenal as it stands is the consumate mid table club of 2021.

‘The FA Premier League have carried out a full review of what and if any sanctions should be applied to the so called ‘breakaway 6’ following the collapse of the ESL.

After full and careful deliberation they have decided to give Manchester United a penalty’

You heard it here first, Danny Ings to Man City. My son has just seen him in a bar in Manchester in what looks very much like a serious meeting......

You heard it here first, Danny Ings to Man City. My son has just seen him in a bar in Manchester in what looks very much like a serious meeting......
IN a bar? I had to sit outside this afternoon.
(At the most excellent Northern Whisper "Farm Tap" in Helmshore. Thoroughly recommended for fishies who find themselves north of Bury.)

advertisement

Back