advertisement

Radford STA 15

Axe.al

Any forum members out there had one / still use one, with knowledge of anything superior - at any price?

I'm looking for members who have had hands on experience with this classic rather, than a flippant suggestion such as an Audio Note Kondo Japan Ongaku and similarly priced esoterica....

many thanks in anticipation,
Alan.

Use the search function - very likely masses of comment across the website.

Edit - just done so and got over 100 references. You'd need to work through them.

Some system context would be useful. A power amp is but one part of any picture and when it comes to valves what it is being asked to drive really matters. The Radford is pretty sensitive gain-wise, so finding the right preamp is essential too. By saying that assuming appropriate high quality stuff surrounding it I’d say you were done. It is a superb amp on any scale.

PS The quality of rebuild and what valves you are using clearly matter too! After 50+ years not all Radfords, Leaks, Quad IIs etc are what they should be!

Any forum members out there had one / still use one, with knowledge of anything superior - at any price?

Q1: Yes / Yes.
Q2: Not in my opinion, I prefer it to the STA25. Eventually only you can say if you find amp A better than amp B.

Only hifi fact is - ask 5 people and you will get 6 opinions...
Alan

Having previously owned 2no STA15s, 3no. STA25s, 1no pair of MA15 monos and a STA60 my opinion is that they are superb division one amplifiers which I would recommend anybody to try. I cannot remember hearing of any criticisms whatsoever from owners of these amps Also represent tremendous value for money. How many other amps can you buy and use for as long as you want knowing that they will probably be worth more than you paid for them when you eventually decide to move them on. Also can be easily serviced with all parts available unlike a lot of modern equipment. A 50+ year old amp that will lat another 50+ years.

This thread may prompt me to do something with another pair of MA15 monoblocks I acquired 3 years ago which I have not even plugged in yet.

@Marchbanks has an STA15 and I know he loves it.

I've got an STA25 and it's the best power amp I've owned.

I did hear Marchbanks' ST15 once but only briefly, so I can't say how it compares to the STA25.

As Tony L has already pointed out, we'd need to know what speakers are you planning to partner it with.

Superb amplifiers, from what I’ve heard of them I preferred the 15 to the 25 but that may be unfair as they were completely different systems and examples. It’s a standing joke at the AoS bake-offs when Mick apologises for his old sorry looking STA15 and asks would it be ok if he tries it then sits back and watches as everybody’s mouth falls open. It then stays in the system all night.

He has “breathed on it” though :cool:

Superb amplifiers, from what I’ve heard of them I preferred the 15 to the 25 but that may be unfair as they were completely different systems and examples. It’s a standing joke at the AoS bake-offs when Mick apologises for his old sorry looking STA15 and asks would it be ok if he tries it then sits back and watches as everybody’s mouth falls open. It then stays in the system all night.

He has “breathed on it” though :cool:

What sort of mods has he done?

@Marchbanks has an STA15 and I know he loves it.
I do, and I do. It’s pretty much original still - I had it serviced a couple of years ago and one cap was replaced along with a couple of resistors and some brittle wiring. The repair engineer said he would totally recap it if I wanted, but there was really no need. I realise that may get me thrown off the forum. I have no idea if there’s anything better out there, as I’ve never looked. If it ain’t broke, why upgrade it? I realise that may also get me thrown off the forum.

Radfords are very nice indeed and remain hard to beat on a VFM basis. I still have a couple in my collection. Personal favourite however, is the original STA12. Its lower power output may be a limiting factor for universal system usage but to my ears it is the sweetest and most detailed sounding of all the company's 'domestic' series of power amplifiers.

I've got some Radford sta 100s I built as monoblocks and have had many sta25s and 15s through the workshop for restoration /upgrades. The last sta15 I restored had lain in a barn for 30 years following a short circuit in the attached preamp. Once restored and upgraded it's among the best valve amps around. I believe that 15 sounded sweeter than the many 25s I've had through the workshop
David

Every time I read threads about Radford amps there's nothing but gushing reviews of how good they are, both the originals and new build ones. It gnaws away at me that while I've had Leak, Quad and Beam Echo vintage valve amps, I've never had a Radford. I must get my hands on one one of these days but with the ever rising value of classic kit they keep drifting away further away from my grasp, dagnabbit!

I do, and I do. It’s pretty much original still - I had it serviced a couple of years ago and one cap was replaced along with a couple of resistors and some brittle wiring. The repair engineer said he would totally recap it if I wanted, but there was really no need. I realise that may get me thrown off the forum. I have no idea if there’s anything better out there, as I’ve never looked. If it ain’t broke, why upgrade it? I realise that may also get me thrown off the forum.
One day we really must get around to comparing my '25 and your '15 side by side.

Might as well throw my ST20 into the mix at the same time.

STA15 and Naim NAP160 here. The Naim has slightly better bass control, the Radford has slightly better midrange imaging. The takeaway is that the Radford is still a serious piece of kit, not just a nostalgia item. It also comfortably saw off a friend's ST20.

Having said all this it needs to be used within its performance envelope. If you have inefficient speakers in a large room and mainly listen to dub reggae it's probably not for you.

STA15 and Naim NAP160 here. The Naim has slightly better bass control, the Radford has slightly better midrange imaging. The takeaway is that the Radford is still a serious piece of kit, not just a nostalgia item. It also comfortably saw off a friend's ST20.

Having said all this it needs to be used within its performance envelope. If you have inefficient speakers in a large room and mainly listen to dub reggae it's probably not for you.

Well said.

The envelope of the STA25 will be wider and is a more versatile amp as a result.

A properly sorted ST20 is still a VERY good amp into suitable speakers. Mine sounds superb into my Ardens and isn't disgraced by my STA25 at all. Both are in tip top fully restored condition so it's a fair comparison.

advertisement

Back