advertisement

Greenshill scandal

Nothing any Government does, or does not do, relies on tacit consent. The elected Government has explicit consent to implement its policies.
That's a tad oversimplified, I think. There is explicit consent from (usually) a minority of the electorate, and tacit consent from the rest who respect the rule that the winning party gets to do its stuff. There is also the question, as Mull mentions, of whether explicit consent is 'consent by any means' or whether there are limits on what the public would permit a government to do in pursuit of its manifesto policies. And there are policies which weren't in the manifesto, or were buried, or merely implied, in the manifesto. Explicit consent for those is less clear, I'd say. And there are policies which are anathema to those who voted for other parties. Assuming tacit consent there would be unwise.

An extreme example, to make my point: Government makes manifesto promise to reduce urban crime. On election, it passes a bill to incarcerate anybody accused (not even charged) of a crime, pending trial, and mandatory prison sentences for every convicted offence, no matter how minor. It's one way to 'reduce urban crime', but people would be unlikely to consent to it. So there are reasonable limits to the consent.

So there are reasonable limits to the consent.

Indeed. As I understand it..much of British Law and our unwritten constitution is based upon the interpretation of what is 'reasonable'. So, when you have a Govt. which repeatedly behaves in a manner which might technically be 'Legal', but which very few would successfully argue is 'reasonable'..then you have..as I've already stated, a Government which has set itself above the law. Indeed Johnson was setting himself above the Law back when he was trying to impose his will upon Parliament from a minority position.
Short memories are a dangerous phenomenon.

Martin Rowson on David Cameron and the Greensill lobbying scandal – cartoon

4818.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...on-and-the-greensill-lobbying-scandal-cartoon

A petri dish without culture.

Just watched...a little gobsmacking (I had not followed the story that closely).

Of course, Gupta's idea of keeping the steel mills open and saving jobs may have seemed very attractive to some others...

I wonder if our ex PM will sleep well tonight..? And our current PM...

Cameron has a nice warm shed to sleep in and another $10m in cash to burn by the looks of things!

Once a Tory always a Tory, this should not be a surprise!

Cameron knew nothing of the various problems, risks and deceits - of course, that’s basic stuff, make sure you don’t know such details so that you can say so later.
However, not knowing any of this he encouraged people to pour money into it.
What a sh!tebag.

Last edited:
Blair = Tory Plan B
Camaroon = Tory Plan C
BloJo = Tory Plan D(unce)
And then maybe
Starmer = Tory Plan B2

All in thrall one way or another to the Torygraphs and Toffs.

51380250959_f51205ce17.jpg

Forensic Opposition or make headlines for expelling prominent members rather than make headlines about Tory corruption, theft and cronyism?

Mass Membership or upcoming changes to membership rules that will restrict mass membership and narrow party democracy?

Unite the Party or expulsions?

Promote pluralism or silence dissenting voices?

Eradicate the scourge of antisemitism or just put the blame on one man?

Maintain links with the unions or when the teaching unions called for school closures due to Covid instead side with the Tories calling the teachers luddites and accusing them of holding back education then say nothing when the Tories close the schools a few days later anyway?

In fairness Ken Loach stands for something and has a functional moral compass. He clearly has no place in Labour. He had to go.
The more I drink about it, the more the Ken Loach expulsion seems a bit odd. As I understand it, Loach was expelled for refusing to “disown” groups who were supporters of Corbyn. This seems a bit McCarthyite.

Even Boris Johnson has not conducted a witch-hunt against Tories who are now, or have ever been, a supporter of Theresa May. If he did it would rightly be seen as ridiculous.

Such are the depths to which the Labour Party has plummeted.

advertisement

Back