advertisement

New Apple iMac and iPads

Amber Audio

This is the Day
Not seen any other threads about the new 24” iMac or iPad Pro models?

I have a 2015 iMac which has been due for replacement for a while, tempted by these new iMacs with the M1, do wonder what the bigger screen one will be like and how long before it is released, maybe M1X with 32” screen?

Anyone planning on/interested in the new Apple gear just anounced?

I am. The new iMacs look very cool, and are priced attractively. Also, the new M1-based iPad Pro looks very capable.

I need to finally replace my 2010 MacBook Pro this year. Way too behind on OS updates, and it no longer runs my tax prep software. Since it rarely leaves my desktop, I’ll likely replace with a new iMac (instead of a new laptop). Not in a huge rush. Planning a purchase by year end.

I am. The new iMacs look very cool, and are priced attractively. Also, the new M1-based iPad Pro looks very capable.

I need to finally replace my 2010 MacBook Pro this year. Way too behind on OS updates, and it no longer runs my tax prep software. Since it rarely leaves my desktop, I’ll likely replace with a new iMac (instead of a new laptop). Not in a huge rush. Planning a purchase by year end.
The vids showing the iMac in use make it look like it’s really fast, will wait a while to read a few early adopter reviews but am thinking it’s looking good as my next Mac. I have an older 9.7 iPad Pro 2016 model, the new 11 Pro looks really tempting too, can’t justify the 12.9. Tried other Tablets like the Samsungs but always come back to the old iPad.

The vids showing the iMac in use make it look like it’s really fast, will wait a while to read a few early adopter reviews but am thinking it’s looking good as my next Mac. I have an older 9.7 iPad Pro 2016 model, the new 11 Pro looks really tempting too, can’t justify the 12.9. Tried other Tablets like the Samsungs but always come back to the old iPad.

I bought the 12.9 iPad Pro late last year. Costly yes, but still by far my most satisfying purchase in recent times. As my eyes have aged, I really appreciate the larger screen size! Only downside for me is a bit of extra weight.

I think apple should have lost the chin by now, a couple more mm on the back to take up the slack would have been totally fine, plus it still cannot be adjusted up or down.

Shame the power is in a brick but not the end of the world, even more of a shame ethernet is on that brick and only on the more expensive models. Also only two ports on the cheaper model.

I would say its 'ok' but in true apple fashion design very much over function, proven by the fact the ipad pro is equally as capable but does not require a chin, it beggers understanding to be honest.

I might get an air tag thing, I keep loosing my keys.

I bought a Mac mini M1 when it came out and am absolutely delighted with it, so I am sure the new iMacs will be excellent. But as I already have a pretty decent spec iMac, I think I’ll hang on to it, although the new ones look lovely. Similarly can’t really justify an iPad Pro, so it looks like it’s gonna have to be an Airtag. Nice to see Timmy getting some fresh air.

Since it rarely leaves my desktop, I’ll likely replace with a new iMac (instead of a new laptop).

We abandoned laptops five or six years ago. An iMac on a desk for computery stuff, and an iPad in your lap for browsing. A great solution, no more hunched over a laptop (that I never ever used on my lap anyway), and a fantastic, huge, high resolution screen on the iMac. I also have a Macmini for a digital piano.

I bought a Mac mini M1 when it came out and am absolutely delighted with it, so I am sure the new iMacs will be excellent. But as I already have a pretty decent spec iMac, I think I’ll hang on to it, although the new ones look lovely. Similarly can’t really justify an iPad Pro, so it looks like it’s gonna have to be an Airtag. Nice to see Timmy getting some fresh air.
That’s only the 2nd Apple event I’ve watched, it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I expected, I like what they have done with the iMac this time, folk rave about the Surface Studio comp but I think it looks crap with the double hinge.

M1 chip is a winner for me. As a music server connected to a USB DAC, my stock M1 mini sounds better than my Allo USBridge sig w/ good PSU. I suspect that the ratio of computing power to energy efficiency of the M1 has a lot to do with this.

Analogue out of the mini headphone jack is also a lot better than you might expect and can pass as a budget DAC. I sold my Qutest as although it was a little better in some areas, it didn't beat the headphone jack hands down.

I'm still using a 2008 iMac (upgraded with a SSD), so am well overdue a replacement. I'd like a bigger screen than 24" though, so will wait to see what they launch something later in the year. Then I'll decide between an iMac or a Mini with 3rd party display. I originally bought an iMac as it was an all in one solution. With the new ones I'm going to need a separate optical drive & a new hub to hang my legacy USB stuff off.

Am I the only one that isn't overly excited re these...

The new iMac looks cool IMO; but having just bought a 27" iMac in Feb; I can't see that moving to a 24" M1 Mac would be that much of an upgrade (downgrade due to 4.5k rather than 5k and 3" smaller); blatantly obvious I know

The iPads do look superb though... Wondering if they'll really make that much difference over my 3rd Gen 12.9" iPad?!

Am I the only one that isn't overly excited re these...

The new iMac looks cool IMO; but having just bought a 27" iMac in Feb; I can't see that moving to a 24" M1 Mac would be that much of an upgrade (downgrade due to 4.5k rather than 5k and 3" smaller); blatantly obvious I know

The iPads do look superb though... Wondering if they'll really make that much difference over my 3rd Gen 12.9" iPad?!
I’d expect a direct replacement for the 27” will be along in due course and wildly guessing at the spec wouldn’t be surprised if it was along the lines of M1X or M2, 32GB Ram, 6K 32” XDR screen for £lots.

That’s only the 2nd Apple event I’ve watched, it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I expected, I like what they have done with the iMac this time, folk rave about the Surface Studio comp but I think it looks crap with the double hinge.

Yeah but 28 inch touch screen monitor. Yum. Shame it was attached to a streak of milk computer.

The Surface Studio hinge is that way for functional reasons - it lets you drop the display down almost flat to the desk so you can use the entire thing as a drawing board. I agree with @garyi on the CPU, though - if they'd put a better logic board in there, I'd have been sorely tempted by it. Actually, if they'd sold it as a standalone monitor, I might have one.

Personally, I would never buy an iMac. A Mac mini and a mid-range standalone display is nearly always a better option. The standalone monitor will last a decade or more and so it will outlast two or three generations of the computer board (plus you can get the exact size you want), and the Mac mini's better airflow means it will run cooler, and thus faster, than an iMac with the same CPU.

advertisement

Back