advertisement

Cracked laptop screen: repair or buy refurbished

piccadilly

pfm Member
The screen on my 17 inch 4gb ram old laptop is cracked. I must shut it too firmly.

The dilema - £120 (I guess) to repair or £300 ish to get a refurbished laptop.

I run Roon and have music stored on an external hard drive.

I like the 17 inch screen as I watch most TV shows on it.

I'm never repaired anything so don't fancy attempting this.

If it was £180 to buy a refurbished 8gb
ram laptop I wouldn't mind. But £300 is rather steep as not working just now.

yes currys just charged us 110 to change a screen that split after no damage . only bought in august so i am not very happy and still under warrenty. needless to say i have put in a complaint

Agree with above. I have replaced screens on a couple of laptops and it is very easy, no skill needed, just patience and a light hand.
One screen I sourced from a compatible but dead laptop and the other was purchased as an OEM spare part, for less than £40 each.

Got my screen from Amazon. It was about £30. Then gently lever away the plastic bezel with a spodger. Undo four very little screws, carefully slide off the connector. Reassembly equally easy. I’m a numpty as well when it comes to stuff, although I’m getting braver as I get older. Look on YouTube, you’ll doubtless find your model laptop or a very similar one and instructions on how to do it.

Be worth identifying the root cause. Is it the ‘firm shutting’ or twisting it or picking it up by its screen rather than the base/keyboard, etc.?

It was firm shutting that broke the screen.

I've arranged to buy anotherlaptop for a very low price by trading in this laptop with cracked screen.

Afterwards someone reminded me about the sensitivity of selling my laptop with data on it,, e.g. personal info stored by Google Valuable data all on external HD.

Getting a SATA hard disk cable tomorrow. I will open up my laptop and use this cable to transfer data to another computer or external hard drive.

Thanks for all your advice.

It was firm shutting that broke the screen.

I've arranged to buy anotherlaptop for a very low price by trading in this laptop with cracked screen.

Afterwards someone reminded me about the sensitivity of selling my laptop with data on it,, e.g. personal info stored by Google Valuable data all on external HD.

Getting a SATA hard disk cable tomorrow. I will open up my laptop and use this cable to transfer data to another computer or external hard drive.

Thanks for all your advice.
Probably obvious, but once you’ve transferred the data, make sure it is securely deleted from the old machine. Transferring doesn’t wipe the old disc. And just deleting doesn’t wipe the disc, you need a utility that overwrites the disc sectors.

advertisement

Back