advertisement

Best LP version of Blondie Parallel Lines

I can't remember the runouts of my UK copies, but I do remember there being a bigger difference between the Tony Bridge cut and others rather than just different plates. I just don't think it's an especially treble-forward attacky kind of album. The MFSL LP and DCC CD demonstrate this in extremis. The digitally remastered versions of the album are more forward - both vinyl and CD - but are quite a bit compressed.

Ah. I have Columbia Santa Marias of the first three albums, although not TPs, but I don't think of them as anything special. UK vinyl is superior, especially the Pye pressings, and I think the UK masterings (any of them) are better.

Maybe CD sound quality is better then? Would be a shame but if it is better produced ........ and second hand they are cheap as chips

Maybe CD sound quality is better then? Would be a shame but if it is better produced ........ and second hand they are cheap as chips

The problem with the cheap as chips CDs is that the remasters are bright and compressed (DR 9), although they do have worthwhile bonus tracks. The earlier CDs sound much, much better (and more dynamic, DR 12) but are a little more expensive. They also reveal the limitations of the Mike Chapman production. Slick and smooth, but rather flat sounding.

The better sounding CDs are the ones without bonus tracks. So, go for any European or US issue with the original twelve tracks. There are slight differences between various international issues, but this is largely down to mastering volume, and the differences are minimal.

I can't say any particular CD issue is 'better' than vinyl. I would suggest the non-remastered CD version sounds closer to the vinyl (especially the US vinyl pressings), although not as involving as the UK vinyl. The remaster is significantly more forward, but very obviously compressed. The DCC CD is even softer sounding than the non-remastered CD, so I wouldn't recommend that at all unless you have a very bright CD system.

Just had a quick listen to a couple of tracks on mine, which is a very nice tidy A4/B3 UK copy. It doesn’t sound bad, just dull, like it’s a third-generation tape or something.

That's what mine sounds like. It's a German pressing, or, as the sleeve sticker says a 'Superior German pressing'.

The problem with the cheap as chips CDs is that the remasters are bright and compressed (DR 9), although they do have worthwhile bonus tracks. The earlier CDs sound much, much better (and more dynamic, DR 12) but are a little more expensive. They also reveal the limitations of the Mike Chapman production. Slick and smooth, but rather flat sounding.

The DR on my vinyl copy is measuring a low of 11 and a high of 14

I’ve looked on other websites too inc Steve Hoffman and there dont seem to be any really decent recordings!

advertisement

Back