advertisement

Falcon B139 Vs original Kef Kef

Hi.

I was wondering if any of you had forked out on the remakes from falcon to replace your old b139s and if you noticed any sonic improvement?

I'd have thought due to the surround perhaps stiffening over time on the originals, there could be better low end extension, speed, detail, etc.

Would be keen to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks David. That’s interesting to know. I don’t play at particularly high volumes, at least, I don’t seem to have issue with excessive cone movement.
Those look like interesting speakers you’ve got there.

No help to the OP but David's comment reminded me of when I ran a multichannel system in a larger room than I have now. I put together a pair of stereo subwoofers on the cheap using KEF B139 (6171) drivers in KEFKIT3 enclosures (the Constructors Series version of the KEF Concerto), and ran them off a 120wpc Technics SU-V909DC amp. The drivers cost me £50 and the enclosures £35. I remember playing Peter Gabriel's Secret World DVD at 'enthusiastic' SPLs and jumping out of my set when the kick drum started as there was this almighty cracking noise coming from the B139s. They were either hitting their end stops or the Technics was clipping. Shortly after that I fitted a Realistic APM-500 power meter to the Technics so I could monitor the output levels going to my subs, - it was a shock to realise how much power I was hitting them with, - the 50wpc LED lit up very regularly! I later discovered my listening seat was in a big bass null, - I moved it back a few feet and soon found I was able to run the subs at a much lower level. Fortunately they survived my punishment but there have been other B139s I've bought over the years that have made scraping/rattling noises even at modest output levels, which makes me wonder about the kind of thrashing the previous owner gave them!...

Hi there, I have friend that's replaced all 4 of his old B139s with Falcon's new B139 in his Linn Isobarics. I've heard them many times and they sound great. The only minor difference I believe is the cage is slightly deeper at the back only a few mm. They are really well built and ooze quality. I would highly recommend them. Imo reasonablly priced too.

I must admit, I've wondered about the new drivers.
I've got a pair of R50's in dry store for a rainy day and I use R40's with falcon xovers.
A good friend uses R50's with Satori mid's from which he got from falcon just before they started the new 110's. I think he was looking for a modern driver rather than the traditional B110 in any case.
As a result, I got a pair of Satori mids and some Munfort AMTs to play with in them when I get time to measure and build proper xovers for them.

I've lost B139's due to over driving in the past. I don't really think they were designed to be driven hard. I'd be hoping that the new versions retains the character and is capable of being driven a bit hard without falling over!

advertisement

Back