advertisement

Stuff - why on earth do we have so much stuff?

We live in a capitalist system. If we don't 'desire' and accumulate stuff, how can the system thrive and perpetuate itself? The underlying logic of the system is to make you buy stuff by 'manufacturing' desire (via advertising, social media, etc.).

I think it's a lot more embedded than simply a consequence of capitalism. Even in pre-capitalist days your status was governed by how much you owned. Indeed, laws were passed banning the common people from owning specific, high-status items.

I don't know what it is in the human condition that makes us want more. I used to shoot target air rifle and small bore. I recently got back into shooting and bought an air rifle. I don't need another air rifle, so why do I want at least a couple more?
Back up, in-built redundancy, safety perhaps?

Very good thread. I also have great difficulty reconciling my desire for minimalism with my desire not to
a) throw stuff out that will end up getting buried in a landfill
b) Waste something that might be useful 5 minutes after I've discarded it.
c) Deal with the hassle of selling low $ items.

Freecycle is quite useful, but only goes so far.

I have 'discovered' Facebook marketplace to move along low value stuff. Locals will always collect and pay cash at the door. So far everything we have listed has gone. Even a blender that was pretty useless has gone - although I did have to pack that up and send it Leeds, so slightly broke my rules. Since I advertised it on local groups I am curious as to how he found it down here in Worcs. Freecycle is also quite good - an old Wendy House, a stack of ring binders and a pile of CD Jewel cases went that way pretty quickly.

Wood 'offcuts' and spare tiles is a perennial problem. I threw everything out when we moved 17 years ago... but I notice a slow build up again. I also kept yards of Ikea garage shelving when we moved - it remains stacked up in the roof of the new house garage - which is some 100 yds away from the house - so pretty useless. The 'effort' involved in getting that sorted, along with a stack of lightly used tyres from old cars must be made.

What happened: is it simply a sign of the times that my generation had in general much more disposable income, that I've been corrupted through the power and allure of advertising, or that I've lost touch with the value of hard-earned money?

Have you got too much stuff?

First question, YES, there's been a few series on TV where the take a UK family and have them live through various decades, from the 20's to the 80's at least, previously in a domestic situation and more recently as small shop owners. It seems to be mainly based on facts and data from the past for an average family, everything from old recipes to the earning of the factory or shop worker. These programs clearly show how in general people became more affluent, along with advances in technology and how some things became more affordable, family car, etc.

I personally think that an awful lot of people today are really out of touch with the value of money, mostly as they lack the 'hard earned' bit.

The second question , No, I don't think I've too much stuff, apart from my record collection, hifi, motorcycle and tools I really don't have much in the way of stuff, a few books, all gifts, if I want to read a book i would go to the library and then return it, I don't see the point in buying story books. I've no bicycles, gadgets, toys, games, watches, cars, cameras, ornaments or computers.
I'm always trying to declutter and minimise what I do have to what I find necessary.
I really get frustrated when confronted with clutter or untidiness so perhaps this has something to do with my lack of stuff.

Last edited:
I have developed an aversion to excess stuff or clutter, I can only just about forgive my hifi as its old stuff from the 80's and 90's. CDs and DVDs are pointless with digital streaming, so off they went. It's ridiculous that current hifi market still peddles miles of speaker cables, psus, standalone DACs, pre-amps, power amps, standalone psu's for standalone DACs, pre & power amps, banana plugs, interconnects, spikes, spike feet, plinths and stands - all for the quest of sound quality that is a bit bigger / better than a high-end soundbar.

Fortunately I don't have much interest in other gadgets or house ornaments, mininalism is the key. The biggest challenge now is modern packaging and the reliance on the motorcar.

Supermarket shopping: Alternative weeks with online ordering and physically being present at a shop. The remaining issue is food packing which is excessive, it does not collapse well so takes up more bin room than needed.

Amazon / ebay goods from China, really need to avoid buying anything of this category if I can. Overpackaged garbage.

Greeting cards and wrapping, serious waste of materials with a shelf life of 15 seconds, the market still upheld by female demographic insecurities.

I have a pair of very rare subwoofers, boxed.

Sold them to a friend and regretted it.

Bought them back and went back to collect them :D

His dog had chewed the box to bits - I was
Gutted.

I too have too much ‘stuff’ - I pity my kids having to sort it all out!! I’m sadly not going to leave a legacy, or a wing of a hospital or university, so the least I can leave them is all my ‘stuff’ - going through it will make em smile.
More likely they'll curse you and the day they were born.

I personally think that an awful lot of people today are really out of touch with the value of money, mostly as they lack the 'hard earned' bit.
I'm not sure about the hard-earned bit, because I know mine is. But I find it sooooooooo much easier to pay for purchases electronically compared to handing out cold hard cash. Putting a $2,000 cartridge on the credit card? No problems. Shelling out 40 sheets of $50 bills? That seems harder.

Whilst I worry I have too much stuff, I also worry I dont have enough. So when this came up on freecycle I just had to have it, now I need to get more little stuffs to fill it up with!

008i3skNgy1gpwf4je6l3j30qo0zkdut.jpg

advertisement

Back