advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Good that's sorted out. Maybe the media can now focus on other important subjects, such as Tory corruption, climate change, etc.

The elite clubs think there is a endless supply of money as people want to watch these overpaid primadonnas. Maybe they could cut some costs instead.

Hang on, let’s have a bit of honesty here. Football sold its soul to money some decades ago. The ESL was just the logical next step.
New money in the Far East wants to call the shots - with no appreciation of the historical heritage of the beautiful game they want a euro clash of the Titans every week. I understand clubs in the ESL stood to earn 3 to 4 times the amount generated from the Champions league. If your business model is that you need the best players and you pay them £300k/week in order to retain their services, the money has to come from somewhere.
To be clear, I am not offering any support for the ESL, I am however stating that this is just the start of the big clubs regularly exploring ways in raising more revenue based on their status.

The end-game is to increase / stabilise revenues for all participating clubs by ditching the Champions League to the ESL where there are a high number of garanteed televised matches.

I imagine most of the uproar comes from bodies that commercially lose out of this (UEFA). Then you have SKY (who probably did not secure rights to the ESL and lose viewers) tell their army of of the street pundits like Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville to scorn the whole idea also, stoking tabloid levels of rage amongst people who don't understand the concept on a business level (vocal drunk fans).

For decades, fans have accepted expensive TV deals, purchased season after season of football shirts, accepted the development of the Champion's League and said nothing about the forthcoming proposals to protect the 'historic elite', not to mention the repeated expansion of the World Cup. All that is because of money and none of it is about the fans. I am ashamed of City's involvement in this project. We may have been the last to join and the first out but to have even considered it is not good, in my eyes. It is time that fans rose up and stopped these 'developments' because they only develop the pockets of owners and administrators.

Not sure that's true. Empty grounds now, and every match on TV, have viewing figures worldwide dropped? Much less messy for the clubs' owners if they don't have to provide facilities for fans, no policing costs, online merch sales, etc.
I wonder if the pandemic didn't open their eyes to the possibilities.
But the point appears moot now, thankfully.
Until the next time.

I think you will find that despite being on TV clubs have lost an enormous amount of money and have suffered because they have had to refund season ticket monies.

For decades, fans have accepted expensive TV deals, purchased season after season of football shirts, accepted the development of the Champion's League and said nothing about the forthcoming proposals to protect the 'historic elite', not to mention the repeated expansion of the World Cup. All that is because of money and none of it is about the fans. I am ashamed of City's involvement in this project. We may have been the last to join and the first out but to have even considered it is not good, in my eyes. It is time that fans rose up and stopped these 'developments' because they only develop the pockets of owners and administrators.
As I said, it was better before the Premier League.

What is the alternative? Should big clubs be dictated by the uninformed opinions of a tabloid reading drunken fan?

I don’t recall the fans rejecting billionaire owners when they took over their clubs (Man U excepted). The thinking was more like “we’ve got a rich owner so we can buy better players”.

Football traded its soul for a new one with the establishment of the PL. like it or not football is now an opportunity to make money. Gone are the days when a top flight club was owned by a local businessman as something of a plaything.

Clubs in the PL are now worth a lot of money. There’s now way that fans can generate the cash to buy the owners out so nothing is going to change. I’m in favour of sanctions against the owners but not the clubs. Why should the fans have to accept a form of punishment for the actions of the owners ? Having said that, I’m also aware that this is grossly unfair to the fans of Bury, Macclesfield etc. We need some reform but what ?

Yep, its a bit rich (pun intended) of Chelsea fans crying about the evils of the capitalist hotbed of the ESL when their success was 90%+ to do with their owner's cash reserves.

Sky can bugger off with their rhetoric, they're just mad that people may move towards a pay per match format for the games 'The FANs' wants to watch, rather than cough up £500 a year knowing most of the matches on Sky are of no interest to them.

Clubs in the PL are now worth a lot of money.

Really? In most cases they are troughs that their owners have loaded with debt. I assumed the ESL was aimed at upping the revenue for those clubs, because as things stand, the income is not making the repayments on debt used to buy them.

The above is disingenuous.
Apart from Tottenham who are the most indebted club in the world, pre-covid United, Liverpool and Arsenal were happily making a fortune for their owners.
The ESL was the next stage in the Yankification of sport so the Red English teams owners could take even more money out.

advertisement

Back