advertisement

kitchen Radio / Tivoli Audio / WLAN - (HD) Flac capable...

fred sonnen

pfm Member
I'll ask the assembled swarm intelligence.
I have a NAS with many (HD) FLAC files. But I do not use any streaming services.
My HiFi system (HTPC with JRMC -> DAC -> active LSP) is under the roof.
In the living room / kitchen, however, it is sometimes a bit too quiet for me. I could buy BlueSound "Pulse Mini 2" WLAN speakers. But maybe there is an alternative.
I imagine a device such as a Tivoli Audio. A smaller but respectable box with radio and decent sound. If you could then still use this device to play (HD) Flac files, I would be satisfied for now.

Is there such a thing, or an approximation?

I have a Tangent Quattro. As you may have seen in a nearby thread, it is an internet radio with the IR support system about to expire. However, it is also independently capable of connecting to a home network wired or wireless. The manual is available for download at the Tangent audio website so you can see if it works for you. The radio is discontinued but you might be able to find one especially now that its primary internet radio function is no more.

I did something similar for a kitchen System. Tivoli Radio (with stereo extension speaker) connected to a Squeezebox Touch. That served as an excellent FM/AM radio and, via the Sqeezebox, internet radio, streaming services and connection to music library on NAS. Sounded really good, much better than the Roberts device that replaced it, though maybe not as neat.

If you add LMS to your NAS you gain access to all the Squeezebox touch capabilities including multiple radio stations and the ability to play all your Flac files. My kitchen radio / audio system is a £70 inc carriage DAC32 connected to a small Class D amplifier bought off ebay driving speakers mounted in the ceiling. It's all hidden in a little cupboard that hides the mains on off power switch for the house. It is switched on with a remote controlled Ever Ready power switch from a Poundshop. All music selection and volume control is from a free phone app called Squeezer. The DAC 32 also supports Bluetooth link so when the kids visit they can play music from their phones.

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/DAC32_WiFi_DACStreamer/p317978_20929663.aspx

Or you could use the DAC32 with a little pair of Active speakers usually marketed for PC use.

advertisement

Back