advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks.
When re-checking after my previous post I notice that the movement includes the toothed outer bit on both sides i.e. not just the spindle within the thing as a whole, so is there a chance it has just become loose and needs tightening back up against the frame?

Oh, that's a bummer. Weird that it's got play in it having had comparatively little use. Bit annoying tbh as I'd all but decided to move this bike on and don't really want to spend cash on it, but that's life I guess!

So something like this to get the bugger out?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universa...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
Yes, and as @cctaylor says the drive side is a LH thread. They can be VERY tight, especially when corroded, it's worth cleaning the threads carefully and adding a smear of coppergrease, the next owner will thank you.

If it's not too bad then putting the bike on its side and filling the cup with oil overnight can get some fresh oil into the bearing and give you another few months, a year or so.

I would be surprised if the cartridge has slackened as they tend to self tighten in use hence the left hand thread.

I would be surprised if the cartridge has slackened as they tend to self tighten in use hence the left hand thread.
It won't have slackened, it's just wear and the lube drying up. As I say a bit of fresh oil can often get in, soften up the old grease and extend the life.

Just been on my sons bike (latest Calibre Bossnut MTB), an absolute blast!

Seems to climbs really well, despite it being a few pound heavier than mine, I cleared a hill I’ve only done twice on my bike a 29’r hardtail (with a low of 32 x 42), I’m not fit at the moment but managed to get up it on his, with 32 x 50, was very impressed.

There’s a really rooted run up to another hill, on mine I’m usually getting bucked all over the place, with the Bossnut it just glided over, no fuss or drama and helped keep my speed up for the kick up of the hill, very good indeed.

Some single track fast downhill, with tight alternating bends is brilliant, very chuckable.

I want one!

Thanks.
When re-checking after my previous post I notice that the movement includes the toothed outer bit on both sides i.e. not just the spindle within the thing as a whole, so is there a chance it has just become loose and needs tightening back up against the frame?

Top tip for using those BB tools is to use a bolt and washer to secure it to the spindle, it will stop it camming/slipping out when you're hanging off it with a scaffold pole.

Top tip for using those BB tools is to use a bolt and washer to secure it to the spindle, it will stop it camming/slipping out when you're hanging off it with a scaffold pole.
That's a good idea. It will screw into the end of the square taper.

Thanks.
Really? That's odd. Give it a try. If so it has been badly assembled from new.

PoC - despite the name and relatively budget cost, they are truly great bikes. I am still riding one of the original Bossnuts. It's seen a fair few miles locally on the Southdowns Way and also been to the Alps several times and taken a bit of a beating compared to what one would typically do here. It's still in really good shape.

Excellent. I remember well, test riding a full bounce MTB over 20 years ago. The dealer asked me what I thought. My reply was "like a magic carpet, I'm having one!".

I have never considered anything but full sus since then:
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?item=74074

That’s spooky, my mate had one of them and I’ve done quite a bit of recent research of them now, I really fancy one, but there’s no stock anywhere.

PoC - despite the name and relatively budget cost, they are truly great bikes. I am still riding one of the original Bossnuts. It's seen a fair few miles locally on the Southdowns Way and also been to the Alps several times and taken a bit of a beating compared to what one would typically do here. It's still in really good shape.

Absolutely, the first one got rave reviews, now V3 is doing same, can’t fault them, especially for the money, just shows what can be done by someone who is willing to go up against the big manufacturers. I’m gobsmacked how good it is to ride.

As well as my son, my mates got one, he got the Shadownut, in matt black, it looks brilliant, very stealthy.

That’s spooky, my mate had one of them and I’ve done quite a bit of recent research of them now, I really fancy one, but there’s no stock anywhere.

Surely you don't want a 1998 one? :D

I think I had two or three Marins then Giant, then Trek, then all Giants since then.

Quick update on my clunking BB.
El cheapo BB and crank extractor tool from ebay arrived yesterday so after work I had a look. It does seem that it had just come loose, barely had to apply any pressure at all to unscrew the BB. So removed it, gave everything a clean, re-greased everything and popped it back in. Only had time to give it 5mins up and down the road but it seems fine now so can only imagine that it was never tightened properly from new, but if the symptoms do return at least I now know how to remove and replace it.

Trek Cobia
Trek Cobia

(The bike is actually from 2011 but the previous owner had apparently only used it a handful of times for one summer and it then it languished in his garage until last year when I bought it.)

That's a result. Well done on getting an Octalink to last 1500 miles BTW. I jest, even that ill thought out piece of junk should last a couple of years. Not Shimano's finest hour.

Bikes used twice and then left in a shed are common, and an absolute score when you find one.

advertisement

Back