advertisement

Cycling log - random events in the day of a cyclist II

the last 30 were hell and took 3 hours, including 2 stops where I laid on the floor groaning and stuffing cereal bars in my maw.

That sounds like fun - you've inspired me to try for my first 100 miler in 25+ years this year ;)

Time trial last night - a hilly (not huge hills, but never flat - constant up/down) 8 ish mile loop. I was pleased with 21:26 (avg speed 21.6mph) since it was cool (10C) and my best time in the heat of the summer is 20:39. A good start to the season, and I didn't crash on the two or three scary bits (40mph on the aero bars). It's always in the back of my mind that crash would be both physically and financially painful, and there's one spot where it could be terminal also.

The winner averaged 26mph on a regular (non-TT) bike. :eek:

And most would be appalled that you'd spent more than £300 on a bike as well.
To be honest I might need a lie-down if I spent more than £300 too, I haven't spent that much on a bike in the last 10 years! Recent acquisitions are, erm,
2011 - £30 on a SH generic hybrid that had been rather poorly turned into a single speed but had some decent bits so I bagged it and sorted it out.
2019 - £40 on a steel racer, didn't really get on with it, sold on last year.
2018 - 2021: new brakes, fork rebuild, headset, rear hub, other servicing bits on the MTB, probably came to nearly £300 in all.

I haven't spent proper money on a bike since about 2007 and that was only £250 used. I did spend £700 on a new road bike in about, erm, 2004 or 5.

I think I could get a new bike without feeling too guilty.

Sounds nice. Where are you, somewhere Essex/Bucks area isn't it? So starting in Bourne. Isn't that near Stamford? There's some lovely countryside to cycle through in Rutland, north end of Northamptonshire area. After that, what, Beds and into the Chilterns? I think this would be prettier than the area of Cambs east of the M11. Then again Essex and Suffolk has some lovely quiet bits off the beaten track.

Yeah, Bourne is a little NE of Stamford and I am in Watford so Beds and Chilterns are a clear route, was planning something like this:

51118280645_361dc65708_z.jpg

That sounds like fun - you've inspired me to try for my first 100 miler in 25+ years this year ;)

Time trial last night - a hilly (not huge hills, but never flat - constant up/down) 8 ish mile loop. I was pleased with 21:26 (avg speed 21.6mph) since it was cool (10C) and my best time in the heat of the summer is 20:39. A good start to the season, and I didn't crash on the two or three scary bits (40mph on the aero bars). It's always in the back of my mind that crash would be both physically and financially painful, and there's one spot where it could be terminal also.

That's about as quick as I can go on a flattish course for a 10 mile TT. I'd definitely struggle to average over 20mph on a hilly course, even just for a 10 mile TT.

The winner averaged 26mph on a regular (non-TT) bike. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Our club TT courses (including the one that uses the full Redbridge circuit) are so hill that I'm quicker on my road bike than on the TT bike. Not 26mph quick though!

When things get back to normal I'll need to find a club that runs a TT on a flat course locally and see how I get on.

I’ve not done a TT for 3 years now due to hip problems. I am riding pretty well at the moment but not sure I can hold a TT position at present. If I can get back to regular chain gangs I will probably give it another go on a local course.

The main issue with TTs is the hassle of travelling.

I ended up doing a steady solo ride last night as no one turned up at our regular meet point, enjoyable nonetheless.

Yeah, Bourne is a little NE of Stamford and I am in Watford so Beds and Chilterns are a clear route, was planning something like this:

51118280645_361dc65708_z.jpg
Hmm. That's gong to be hard. Not hard as in physically, the terrain is easy enough. Hard as in route planning. Your problem with a 100 mile point-to-point where the 2 points are 93 miles apart is that you don't have much wiggle room for deviations from a straight line. You are therefore forced onto the shortest possible route, which is naturally the main roads. This is tolerable at the northern end, but for the last half of the ride you have to dodge the M1, A1, M25, A14...the list is long. These sweep you into big towns and cities. Yuk. You need to plan a route where a few turns take you out into the sticks, which is why most century rides don't go much more than 30 miles or so from the start point

I've had a look through a couple of guidebooks and a road map. From Bourne there are a number of MUCH more pleasant rides, if you fancy a point-to-point then you still can. Ride to (say) somewhere in Northamptonshire, get a train home. This could take you past Rutland Water, through Oakham, all sorts of nice places. Alternatively you could be negotiating the A414 at Hemel. You choose.

3 routes that I came across that are do-able from Bourne were one that starts and finishes in Boston, which is easy but having worked in the area I don't recommend it unless you have an interest in cabbage fields. Better is one that starts at Melton Mowbray and explores the Vale of Belvoir, which you could join at Colsterworth, 10 miles west of Bourne, or another that explores Rutland, going through Oakham. You could drop into this from the top and then loop down towards Mkt Harborough. You could even combine bits of the two. I'm happy to share these routes sdo you can have a look on a road map.

Any and all of these would be a better choice than threading your way round the M25/M1 interchange when you are 90-odd miles in, knackered and just want it to stop.

If I lived in Watford and wanted to do a century nearby, I'd first drive to the countryside. If I didn't have access to a car or a train, then looking at the map there are the villages between Hemel and Amersham that take you to the north of Chesham. Minor roads to Tring, then over/under/across the A41. Head NW in an approximately straight line to Winslow. Explore the Chilterns, back via minor roads around Thame. But given the choice I'd start in Aylesbury.

My guidebook has century rides in the Chilterns and Oxfordshire, I'd be having a look at that and drawing on some maps.

Hmm. That's gong to be hard. Not hard as in physically, the terrain is easy enough. Hard as in route planning. Your problem with a 100 mile point-to-point where the 2 points are 93 miles apart is that you don't have much wiggle room for deviations from a straight line. You are therefore forced onto the shortest possible route, which is naturally the main roads. This is tolerable at the northern end, but for the last half of the ride you have to dodge the M1, A1, M25, A14...the list is long. These sweep you into big towns and cities. Yuk. You need to plan a route where a few turns take you out into the sticks, which is why most century rides don't go much more than 30 miles or so from the start point

I've had a look through a couple of guidebooks and a road map. From Bourne there are a number of MUCH more pleasant rides, if you fancy a point-to-point then you still can. Ride to (say) somewhere in Northamptonshire, get a train home. This could take you past Rutland Water, through Oakham, all sorts of nice places. Alternatively you could be negotiating the A414 at Hemel. You choose.

3 routes that I came across that are do-able from Bourne were one that starts and finishes in Boston, which is easy but having worked in the area I don't recommend it unless you have an interest in cabbage fields. Better is one that starts at Melton Mowbray and explores the Vale of Belvoir, which you could join at Colsterworth, 10 miles west of Bourne, or another that explores Rutland, going through Oakham. You could drop into this from the top and then loop down towards Mkt Harborough. You could even combine bits of the two. I'm happy to share these routes sdo you can have a look on a road map.

Any and all of these would be a better choice than threading your way round the M25/M1 interchange when you are 90-odd miles in, knackered and just want it to stop.

If I lived in Watford and wanted to do a century nearby, I'd first drive to the countryside. If I didn't have access to a car or a train, then looking at the map there are the villages between Hemel and Amersham that take you to the north of Chesham. Minor roads to Tring, then over/under/across the A41. Head NW in an approximately straight line to Winslow. Explore the Chilterns, back via minor roads around Thame. But given the choice I'd start in Aylesbury.

My guidebook has century rides in the Chilterns and Oxfordshire, I'd be having a look at that and drawing on some maps.

Thanks for the thoughts, they are much appreciated. The point to point from Bourne is my friends idea/dream LOL, as he is from there and now lives in Watford which is why we are where we are.

I have a Wahoo ELEMNT so I can download a route and follow the sat nav so what ever route we devise can be easily followed. I also know the roads around Watford/Hemel very well (as you might imagine) so avoiding the nasties is familiar territory.

The local Chiltern rides are familiar to me and probably my favourite play ground, this was a recent ride and there are plenty of nice country roads to them from my front door without hitting busy stuff.

51119755655_45525f42ab_b.jpg

That looks considerably nicer than having to find your way back from Bourne! You *could* get back from Bourne via similar routes but it would be more than 100 miles.

That's a nice looking route, I had to visit the Chalfonts a few years ago and I was struck by how pleasant it was within spitting distance of the M25. If you wanted to extend it from Beaconsfield, up to Hazlemere and on would take you into some lovely countryside.

From Bourne though, I'd be going to Colsterworth and on to the Vale of Belvoir. No traffic once in, generally flat, pleasant villages. I worked at a Stilton creamery there, in fact I've worked in 3 in and around Long Clawson and Harby.

Another dog incident today - some sort of smaller version of an Irish Wolfhound bounds out of nowhere and took chase. I had to do the usual rapid dismount and fend the damned thing off with the bike. Eventually the owner turned up and demonstated zero control over the animal but said it wouldn't bite. I would estimate a 70% chance that it would have bitten me if the bike wasn't in the way. It was getting progressively more aggressive as time went on with plenty of barred teeth and growling/barking.

I asked the owner how she would feel if it attacked a child on a bike. She said that if she had known there was a bridleway at the end of the path she was on she would have put it on the lead, which seems to me to be some sort of admission that the dog is not safe.

I am absolutely sick and tired of the number of out of control dogs there are, seems like 5 to 10 times more than before lockdown.
A friend of mine who is a life long dog owner agrees, he said that responsible dog owners are having to keep their dogs on a lead to avoid other dogs attacking them! He also said it takes 3 years or more to train some dogs, so the 6 months or so that the average clueless lockdown new dog owner has done amounts to sod all use.

Other than that I had a nice ride in the sunshine to my mate's house to listen to his garden;) hifi system.

My dog is fine with bikes (and horses) but we put him on the lead when we see bikes coming anyway, as much to reassure the cyclist that the dog is under control as anything else.

I've had the occasional run in with a dog when cycling (although have had more hassle from swans to be honest!) and while mostly they are just being friendly it's not always easy to tell.

sorry to hear that S-man. I don't have a problem with dogs on the road, but on the few occasions I take my MTB into the woods it can be an issue, especially during the week when "professional" dog walkers might have 5 or 6 of them which they absolutely cannot control. Like you say, very hard to tell if they mean business or just being noisy.

Out on the Brompton early this morning. Through Peoples Park and on to Cleethorpes. The sun had been up a short while, it was cold but lovely, along the prom, past the leisure centre, along the salt marsh and on to Anthony's Bank. Looking out towards the fort the tide was coming in half filling the creek but still lots of exposed sand bank. It's a view I never tire of, always different, tide, time, weather. Didn't stay long, back through the Fitties, North Sea Lane, to Gy and a nice poached egg on toast courtesy of my missus :).

sorry to hear that S-man. I don't have a problem with dogs on the road, but on the few occasions I take my MTB into the woods it can be an issue, especially during the week when "professional" dog walkers might have 5 or 6 of them which they absolutely cannot control. Like you say, very hard to tell if they mean business or just being noisy.

I've also not had dog issues on the road.
Funnily enough I find that the pro dog walkers generally have quite good control. My doggy pal told me the dogs tend to behave in a pack, as long as the the senior dogs behave then the junior ones copy them. I've seen a guy several times who walks at least 10 dogs and although he appears to have them under control he most certainly cannot and does not pick up all their mess.

Just been reading up on dog behaviour and the wolfhound (or whatever) was definitely showing all the signs of wanting to hurt/kill me.

Thinking back, the most annoying thing is that there was not even a hint of an apology. However, much more concerning, is that she didn't chastise the dog in any way, just spent ages trying to catch it. How is it ever going to learn???

I only got knocked off my bike once last year... and hopefully, I'll only get knocked off my bike once this year as well because I just got knocked off my bike! In a nutshell, I was overtaken on approach to a junction and with it being slightly downhill, I caught up with the car just as we approached the traffic lights. The lights were green and everything about the car's position suggested it was going straight ahead like me. It wasn't. The car swung left with no indication and took me out right on the corner.

Despite the obvious clattering contact the driver drove off. A few people quickly gathered around and helped me to my feet and started taking care of me with some bandages etc. I was getting witness details when the driver returned about five minutes after our collision. She said her car is quite rattly so she never realised she'd hit me. Some proper BS there, but in fairness, she did seem genuinely apologetic at the same time.

I was absolutely going to go to the police to report her but because she came back - and because I know firsthand that a court case will take years to go ahead due to the immense backlog because of covid, and the inconvenience it will cause me with on-the-day cancellations - I just reminded her to use her indicators and keep an extra eye out for cyclists.

I've got the usual aches and scrapes and bruises where the sun don't shine, but I'm fundamentally okay. I've taken the rest of the day off work though so I can just take it easy.

Oh, my bike's fine so there's no damage to my property and I reckon I'll be fine by Monday. The upside is, I'll now be home to watch highlights of F1 qualifying when Channel 4 broadcast them at 7.30pm instead of having to catch it on Channel 4 +1 at 8.30pm :)

Fwiw, although we were coming to the bottom of a short hill and I was probably travelling at 10-15mph, contact was definitely avoidable. Early use of indicators and there would have been no issue as I would have back off while even late use of indicators would have caused some sharp braking (and a little cursing) but still probably no contact. She clearly had no idea that we were still in close proximity, albeit, compounded by the fact we were coming to the bottom of a short hill.

After a bit of assistance.
Had noticed a bit of mild clunking/clicking seemingly coming from the bottom bracket over my last 3 rides or so. Checked the BB by grabbing and rocking the crank arms and there's definitely some movement there. The bike has probably only done 1.5k miles so hoping it just needs tightening up (maybe removal/cleaning/re-greasing while I'm at it?).
Not done anything with the BB before so unsure of what tool(s) I'll need and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Bike is a Trek MTB and this is the drive side:

Cobia bottom bracket

After a bit of assistance.
Had noticed a bit of mild clunking/clicking seemingly coming from the bottom bracket over my last 3 rides or so. Checked the BB by grabbing and rocking the crank arms and there's definitely some movement there. The bike has probably only done 1.5k miles so hoping it just needs tightening up (maybe removal/cleaning/re-greasing while I'm at it?).
Not done anything with the BB before so unsure of what tool(s) I'll need and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Bike is a Trek MTB and this is the drive side:

Cobia bottom bracket
That's not an adjustable BB. You can *sometimes* get some oil in and extend the life, but usually they are se aled, you just replace them.

advertisement

Back