advertisement

naim nait3 power amp. rebuild

Nunomigl

hi , i am from portugal and a have a naim nait 3 without the power amp board. only have the pre amp board in goad condition. my question- it possible rebuit de power amp with a new pcb or its better to buy a naim clone amplifier from ebay or aliexpress?

Maybe you could find a cheap NAP90/2 and use the Nait 3 as a preamp for it? Your Nait 3 seems like it's basically a NAC92 now, except that it has a power supply!

Welcome Numomigl

If you weren't too worried about either quality or originality ...then check eBay for the many Chinese Naim clone amplifier boards on there

tks Mynamemynaim ,it's very difficult to find original parts even in second hand. i would like to keep the originality but its no easy.

I think Les @Avondale Audio (lookup his Facebook page for it rather than website) has created a drop in version of his NCC power amp boards for these Naits. Not sure if it's available yet but would take this to a much higher level.
Maybe drop him a line as he'll either have his board available or one of the Nait boards he's replaced.

150053946_3950901291597079_3898132137789897716_n.jpg

As always, there's usually some website full of strange people who can answer that question....
Lunatics!

Ah, I see it's the power amp in. So you could potentially stick an EQ or MiniDSP between the pre and amp. But then the traditionalists would probably come after you with pitchforks and torches.

Probably enough space to hide a MiniDSP board inside the Nait itself and avoid the pitchforks as they'll never enter hallowed ground by taking the cover off and having a look.

Lunatics!

Ah, I see it's the power amp in. So you could potentially stick an EQ or MiniDSP between the pre and amp. But then the traditionalists would probably come after you with pitchforks and torches.

MiniDSP works quite well with Nait3/NAP90/3,
I was running NAC92 -> 2x MiniDSP2x4 -> 3x NAP90/3 as a 3way Active setup, worked surprising well and would still be running it but have upgraded to 6x HackerNAP

I think you could squeeze a MiniDSP into the Nait3 with a new poweramp and an external NAP90/3 would make a nice 2way active setup!

Or what about a set of nice CAPs for the output stage windings on the transformer and a couple Avondale TPR2 regs to power the Naits Preamp board? is the same transformer used in the FlatCAP PSU?

http://avondaleaudio.com/audiophile-regulator-modules/

I sent an email to avondale and they don't have any power amplifiers either new or used. I have to go for another solution that fits inside the naim nait3 box.
does anyone have a suggestion for a diy amplifier?

does anyone have a suggestion for a diy amplifier?

A Nait power amp board is going to be your best bet or converting the Nait to a preamp and having a separate power amp.
If, however, you can't get a board and you want to have everything in the Nait case, then one difficulty is that the Nait doesn't have a lot in the way of heatsinking, just the case itself.
It also doesn't have a lot of free space in there either with the transformer close by and lack of height. This cuts down on your DIY options.

Naim fans might be horrified but as a left-field suggestion, you could try an LM3886 based power amp. Apparently they are capable of decent sound quality with the right implementation.
Someone with more knowledge of chip-amps would hopefully be able to tell you if the heatsinking is going to be adequate.

If you do go down this route, you'll also need rectifier and smoothing caps, including separate ones and a regulator for the preamp as they were all on the Nait power amp board.

Unfortunately, maximum board size in the nait case with transformer and preamp in there is about 170 x 170mm. That one is 280 x 235mm.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back